2009 - 2014 F-150

Ecoboost feed back from those who work the truck hard.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecoboost feed back from those who work the truck hard.

Im planning to retire a 2004 F150 soon. It sits with just over 260k of well used miles. Approximately three times a week it is loaded at or slightly above payload, and about once a month is also towing near capacity for about 100 miles down the freeway.

My initial thoughts were time to go diesel, perhaps even F350 (overkill)
I then saw an add about how much stronger, and lighter the new 150's are. I average 30k miles a year on the truck, and started realizing the diesel solution may cost me alot more both in purchase, and operating cost. So having had such a good run with my 04, I may stay with a smaller gas truck.

Id like to hear from those who use their truck, as a TRUCK, and have a fair bit of miles. Im specifically curious about how the ecoboost is holding up as a work platform, both in daily performance, and issues, failures, and maintenance.

Im sure many of you love your truck, but I really want opinions from those who put this platform under heavy load, and have a fair bit of miles (100k+), so please try to keep on topic.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm at 96k and all I've done to the engine is change the oil, air filter and throw a set of plugs on it every 40k or so. The plugs cost less than $30 for all 6 and if it takes more than an hour for you to do them you should donate your tools to a high school shop class. The pulling power between it and my 2005 truck is night and day!

Old 09-26-2015, 09:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to throw a pitch in for the 5.0 as well.

I had an '03 with the 5.4, '08 with the 5.4 and now my '12 with the 5.0. Huge difference every time they work the motor over. I have not compared to the 3.5 EB but even the 5.0 would do more work more easily than your current '04.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:48 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
You can now get the Max Tow package and the HD Payload package with either the 5.0 or the 3.5 EB. I'd recommend you get both packages if you order a new truck.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You can now get the Max Tow package and the HD Payload package with either the 5.0 or the 3.5 EB. I'd recommend you get both packages if you order a new truck.
That was my plan. I drove a ecoboost yesterday, and its definitely a nice truck. My perceived difference in cost between the 150 as I want it configured and a F350 is minimal. I was also suprised how much I liked the way the 1 ton drove. I haven't come to a final decision yet, and appreciate everyone's answers.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Love my EB.. Its my Tow Rig, Drag Truck, Daily driver and everything in between. Absolutely love it and wouldn't think of going back to a N/A V8. The Eb will spoil you. I haven't yet drove a V8 that seemed as strong as the EB.. It has me spoiled.

Changed Plugs at 40k
Cleaned Map Sensors at 52k
Oil Changes Every 5k.

Only time it has been in for Warranty work was for a Leaking Front Cover and Coolant Fitting at 50k.

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 09-27-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:31 PM
At 54xxx miles right now, I tow a 28 foot deck boat (6500+ lbs) and a 31 foot travel trailer with a slide (5500lbs) from socal to Havasu numerous times during the summer in 110+ temperatures and the eb blew me away. Handled every hill just as well as my dad's 7.3 maybe even better. When I'm not towing the bed is usually full of 2 or 3 dirtbikes or stand up skis going on a 300+ mile round trip. Had a 2008 KR 5.4 before this and I don't miss that motor at all. This truck will tackle anything you throw at it (and the mpg is a great bonus)

Old 10-09-2015, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by dkelly506
At 54xxx miles right now, I tow a 28 foot deck boat (6500+ lbs) and a 31 foot travel trailer with a slide (5500lbs) from socal to Havasu numerous times during the summer in 110+ temperatures and the eb blew me away. Handled every hill just as well as my dad's 7.3 maybe even better. When I'm not towing the bed is usually full of 2 or 3 dirtbikes or stand up skis going on a 300+ mile round trip. Had a 2008 KR 5.4 before this and I don't miss that motor at all. This truck will tackle anything you throw at it (and the mpg is a great bonus)
Really appreciate all of the feed back. I still haven't arrived at a final decision, but the running cost of the diesels as well as problems Im reading about has me concerned.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The $100+ oil changes on a diesel are rough. My friend has a big airboat that he normally pulls with his 6.0L F250. He used my truck a few times and says it does just as good of job and much better than another guy's durajunk 2500. The boat itself isn't really that heavy, maybe 5000# or so. It's the great big engine + cage and prop sticking up in the air that drags you down. It's almost like pulling a parachute down the road.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
We had a 13 eco 4x4 with 3.73 gears (max tow) and they are all correct,it pulled very well, but did have to floor it a lot to get up hills. We have a 26 ft toyhauler and loaded 120 gal. of water, 30 gal of gas , sxs and all the goodies it did quite well . we live at 5000 ft and most our towing is from 5 to 10,000 ft. Now,the problem with our eco was the mileage, 4 mpg average when towing. In my opinion the eco does not like altitude,when we did go to lower alt. the mileage did improve to 7 mpg average loaded and 14 empty.we also had more then our share of problems with the eco. So the eco went away and a 15 ford 6.7 4x4 diesel. Other posters that are in love with the eco trying to compare the eco to diesel, have to be in a dream world (sorry ) . Our diesel pulls the same trailer at altitude 13- 14 mpg with tons of power to go, don't think we have had to floor it yet,the same trip and mtn grades we would have been floored with the eco. We made one trip to vegas once with enclosed car trailer loaded with car the 56 studebaker and once we got down to lower elevation the mileage came up to 17-18. Sorry to say but we were impressed. As far as empty we are seeing anywhere from 20-21 to 24-25 depending on elevation.The long and short we will never go back to a gas truck for work or load. We have one friend that went from diesel too eco because of all the hype and in his words we %#$@*^ up,and is planning on going back to a ford diesel. As far as 100.00 oil change,thats true at the dealer.,half if you do it yourself. To me,a 100 dollar oil change is worth it to be able to tow anywhere and not worry. As far as repairs,the thing is under war. for 100,000 miles and ford offers extended to 200,000. Again in my opinion the eco is great for that very rare towing and low altitude use but if your going to use it I don't think its the best choice. just my 2 cents

Last edited by mtnmanut; 10-13-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by mtnmanut
We had a 13 eco 4x4 with 3.73 gears (max tow) and they are all correct,it pulled very well, but did have to floor it a lot to get up hills. We have a 26 ft toyhauler and loaded 120 gal. of water, 30 gal of gas , sxs and all the goodies it did quite well . we live at 5000 ft and most our towing is from 5 to 10,000 ft. Now,the problem with our eco was the mileage, 4 mpg average when towing. In my opinion the eco does not like altitude,when we did go to lower alt. the mileage did improve to 7 mpg average loaded and 14 empty.we also had more then our share of problems with the eco. So the eco went away and a 15 ford 6.7 4x4 diesel. Other posters that are in love with the eco trying to compare the eco to diesel, have to be in a dream world (sorry ) . Our diesel pulls the same trailer at altitude 13- 14 mpg with tons of power to go, don't think we have had to floor it yet,the same trip and mtn grades we would have been floored with the eco. We made one trip to vegas once with enclosed car trailer loaded with car the 56 studebaker and once we got down to lower elevation the mileage came up to 17-18. Sorry to say but we were impressed. As far as empty we are seeing anywhere from 20-21 to 24-25 depending on elevation.The long and short we will never go back to a gas truck for work or load. We have one friend that went from diesel too eco because of all the hype and in his words we %#$@*^ up,and is planning on going back to a ford diesel. As far as 100.00 oil change,thats true at the dealer.,half if you do it yourself. To me,a 100 dollar oil change is worth it to be able to tow anywhere and not worry. As far as repairs,the thing is under war. for 100,000 miles and ford offers extended to 200,000. Again in my opinion the eco is great for that very rare towing and low altitude use but if your going to use it I don't think its the best choice. just my 2 cents
I think a lot of it is what is being compared. I came from a '06 6.0 (which was a great truck to me) and it was awesome, but too big for where I now drive. I went to the Eco and am very, very impressed. A 6.7 is miles in front of my 6.0 (even though I got 20mpg's consistently on the hwy and it was tuned with extras)

I just crossed the Rockies twice this weekend on a trip from Vancouver to Calgary and back. 80% of the driving was 70-80mph and I even maintained 75mph up a 8% grade that stretched over 12 miles. 600+mile one way and I averaged 17.8mpg there and 18.5mpg back (net gain 3000ft going to Calgary).

Even with a 500lb sled in the box, I can easily get 16mpg on the same trip, same speed. All the while the truck rarely drops to 4th gear climbing the steep grades. I wasn't searching out the Eco when I bought the truck, but it was on the lot with the right options. I am not disappointing with my choice. I'll be able to follow up once I pull a 26' enclosed sled trailer later on this winter. The same trailer that's behind my F350 below.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by WoodsTruck
I'm going to throw a pitch in for the 5.0 as well.

I had an '03 with the 5.4, '08 with the 5.4 and now my '12 with the 5.0. Huge difference every time they work the motor over. I have not compared to the 3.5 EB but even the 5.0 would do more work more easily than your current '04.
My 2014 5.0 with 3.31 axle pulls great. I pull maybe a few times a year for my local Boy Scout troop that I volunteer with. Id want a tad more power if I pulled every weekend, or up some serious grades. But for everything I ask of it, it does just fine.

Name:  20140918_183013.jpg
Views: 121717
Size:  303.4 KB

I'd estimate its around 7500lbs when its fully loaded up. Its a 2 5/16" ball trailer, heavy duty frame etc.

I'd be willing to compare anyone's EB fuel mileage spread sheet with mine. Be hard pressed to find an EB that can beat it

Name:  BigRedOctober2015MPG.png
Views: 121450
Size:  85.6 KB
Red line Actual hand calculated MPG
Pink line Instrument cluster calculated MPG (reset each tank)

Total lifetime MPG (including heavy towing) is 18.32 MPG with 18k on the truck now in 15 Months of owning it

My daily commute is 12 miles one way, with a typical 2~ mile trip to lunch, mixed driving with some traffic, some highway etc

Big down spikes is towing Scout trailer
Big up spikes is all Highway @ 60-65 MPH

Last edited by Patman; 10-13-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:50 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnmanut
You just had a lemon.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
My 2014 5.0 with 3.31 axle pulls great. I pull maybe a few times a year for my local Boy Scout troop that I volunteer with. Id want a tad more power if I pulled every weekend, or up some serious grades. But for everything I ask of it, it does just fine.

I'd estimate its around 7500lbs when its fully loaded up. Its a 2 5/16" ball trailer, heavy duty frame etc.

I'd be willing to compare anyone's EB fuel mileage spread sheet with mine. Be hard pressed to find an EB that can beat it

Red line Actual hand calculated MPG
Pink line Instrument cluster calculated MPG (reset each tank)

Total lifetime MPG (including heavy towing) is 18.32 MPG with 18k on the truck now in 15 Months of owning it

My daily commute is 12 miles one way, with a typical 2~ mile trip to lunch, mixed driving with some traffic, some highway etc

Big down spikes is towing Scout trailer
Big up spikes is all Highway @ 60-65 MPH
In my personal opinion, there is nothing really between the mpg's of the Eco and the 5.0. Anyone saying they are buying the eco for better mpg's alone are going to be disappointed. I mean, really at the EPA level I am pretty certain it's only 1 mpg different. You can see more of adifference in MPG's based on driving habit.
The real benefit to the Eco is having more torque available and at a much lower RPM. The added bonus is the additional power that is available with a simple tune.

I think both are great engines, but the Eco is more geared towards towing.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Blown F-150
In my personal opinion, there is nothing really between the mpg's of the Eco and the 5.0.
I'd say the same is especially true when you add in 4x4 or larger cab configurations. One engine isn't going to make much of a difference over another when they are both moving a large, heavier vehicle that has a high coefficient of drag. It takes energy to move things and the differences in inefficiencies between one motor and another are a small portion of what is needed to move everything down the road. Hauling a trailer, I'd expect the v6, v8, or EB models to all get under 10mpg with the same trailer configuration. Idling, where the only losses are in the engine, v6-based models will run for longer per gallon than the v8, but in stop and go, they all still need to move the truck/cargo. From the idling benefits, I could see the v6-engined models getting about 1mpg better overall than the v8 (auto-stop takes that even further, on its way in more vehicles).

Performance, with appropriate gearing, and maintenance cost is the main difference between the current engine options. I'd take a v8 over the EB in a full size truck for simplicity more than anything else. Both have plenty of capability to move heavy loads, but the EB will let you jackrabbit-start quicker with a heavier load.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost feed back from those who work the truck hard.