2009 - 2014 F-150

Need Help to of tire size and lift size

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help to of tire size and lift size

i have a 2009 ford f150 and i will like to know if 325/60r20 Nitto Terra Grappler 35"Tires will fit without any rubbing and if so will a 3in leveling kit will to the job

Old 07-03-2015, 01:53 AM
It depends what the backspacing is on the wheels you put on and how wide the rims are.
My guess is that they will rub when you turn while backing if not going forwards too.

When you put that much larger tire on it and change the wheels, you change the geometry of the front end and the stresses applied to parts like ball joints, springs, shocks, and tierod ends. It more than likely will have driveability issues as well.
If it is just a weekend toy, then it probably won't matter that much. If you are towing with it, I would strongly suggest not changing the diameter of the tire larger as that will negatively affect your pulling power. Just some things to consider.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:52 AM
Originally Posted by F 1Fiddy
It depends what the backspacing is on the wheels you put on and how wide the rims are.
My guess is that they will rub when you turn while backing if not going forwards too.

When you put that much larger tire on it and change the wheels, you change the geometry of the front end and the stresses applied to parts like ball joints, springs, shocks, and tierod ends. It more than likely will have driveability issues as well.
If it is just a weekend toy, then it probably won't matter that much. If you are towing with it, I would strongly suggest not changing the diameter of the tire larger as that will negatively affect your pulling power. Just some things to consider.
okay thanks for the info im just looking for a goof lift and some offroad tires with either 20in or 18in rims what dimensions will you recommend with or without the 3in lift

Old 07-03-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its not so much the tires and wheels, it's the 3" level that changes the geometry of the suspension and stresses parts to their limits.

Last edited by 2008_XL; 07-03-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:11 AM
Its actually both. Lifting the front will put stress on components as well wider heavier tires. You have more mass spinning and creating more spring collapse when you hit bumps because they are heavier than the truck was designed for. The shocks and springs will have a shorter service life with larger/heavier tires and wheels.
If you put a 3 inch level kit on it, you will need to align it as it most likely will be out of spec on camber and possibly toe.

This is sort of like putting a performance intake on an engine without increasing port flow and cam and exhaust and expecting great things.

When you change one component, there is a ripple effect. You need to go through and change a bunch of things up the line to compensate for the changes you made. So if you want bigger tires and wheels, you will want to beef up the rest of the suspension. Tougher springs, off road shocks, and possibly ball joints and tie rods. That way everything will be able to handle it. The truck will run with just wheels, tires, and 3 inch level, but you will significantly shorten the life of the components under there.
Good Luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Need Help to of tire size and lift size