2009 - 2014 F-150

Help PLEASE with truck purchase decision

Old 06-20-2015, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help making a used truck decision and I'm hoping the Ford Truck knowledge base here can help.
I'm trading in my 2006 lariat ..My Lariat is not only fully equipped but it has tons of add ons like chrome pillar posts ,bull bumper,grypgon tuner , flat screen backup camera DVD player etc and I want to stay in a tuck with the same luxury...it's fully loaded but it seems to have developed a cam phaser tick so I'm thinking of getting rid of it since it has 150,000 miles on it. . The trucks I'm looking at that I need to make a decision on are either a 2015 Lariat fully loaded , crew cab , short bed with the v6 ECO motor ...OR..a 2011 lariat limited ,also crew cab , short bed with all the limited options this truck has the 6.2 Raptor motor . Both trucks are in the same shape both trucks are $29,000 ..trade in on my 2006 is $11,000 so I have to put a little cash out of pocket and decide whether to go with the newer 2013 with a v6 eco,a nice truck metallic white in color ..OR.. an 2 year older truck but being a Limited it will hold its value better and it has a monster engine also a metallic white ..both have black leather interiors.. any opinions would be greatly appreciated basically a two year older with a bigger motor 2 year newer with a more modern motor.
Thanks

Old 06-20-2015, 09:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I would choose the eco over the 6.2 myself. Besides, the eco engine is built right here in our back yard (I'm in North Olmsted). The 6.2 is a powerful engine, but a dinosaur and is no longer used in the 150's and get's the worst mileage of any engine used in the 150's.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:37 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Opinions are like noses, everybody has one. Here's mine. Yer taking about spending 18 grand to HOPEFULLY upgrade to a newer used truck or a new truck. If the only issue with the old one is the engine, it's a ton cheaper to just build a motor like you want. You can build a 5.4 out well beyond the EB engine and even that of a 6.2. Obviously, it means you'll have it a while longer just to justify the investment. If that doesn't work for you, buy new. Skip the part of buying someone elses problem child. My personal preference would be a 6.2. There's a ton of them running down the roads in Texas getting 20+ mpgs hiway. If all you do is town, the 6.2 can be a gas hog. The 6.2 is a simple engine. The EB is high tech and YOU are the guy that is going to have to keep all of that high tech crap in running order once out of warranty. Like they say about life- KISS= Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Yer money, choose wisely, Grasshopper.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:37 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If you don't care about gas mileage, get the 6.2.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:22 AM
The engine size is a big factor but I'm also torn because the 2013 is a standard lariat ..a very nice truck..it needs 2 front 20" tires and has nothing covering the bed..the 2011 is the lariat limited and is laid out ..has good rubber and a hard cover..yeah and its a V8 which I like but also a gas hog..BUT being a limited I would think in 6-7 years when I trade it in it would be worth more ? ? ? .. I'm also wonder how the motors hold up ..the 6.2 is a solid motor...not sure on the twin turbo eco boost...its a hell of a motor but I'm old school..a V6 turbo in a truck...I would think that would be putting a lot of strain on the turbos which in a lot of cars are prone to bearing failures and over heating ? ? ? As far as fixing my truck..a long block would be the only thing I'd consider..i took it up to a shop and they listened to my motor..and said I was crazy to do it,that my didn't sound that bad..it sounds like a old school lifter tick...yet sometimes its so quiet you cant hear it. But even if I long blocked it..thats money I would never get back and the truck itself still would be a 150000 truck...hey 05RedFX4..i'm in parma hts by Tri-C . I bookmarked a few mor lariats I'm going to look at in the next couple days..10's,11's and 12...only found the 1 2013 in my price range...

Old 06-21-2015, 12:39 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
There's a ton of them running down the roads in Texas getting 20+ mpgs hiway.
Because you guys get pure 100% dino juice down in texas, we get E-10 year round in Cleveland and it kills our mileage. I only avg 15-16 with my 5.0, eco guys are getting 17-18 around here. Don't know what the 6.2's are getting, don't know any one around here that has one.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:31 AM
This time we are setting up for a Ecoboost versus 6.2 war. That will at least give the 5.0 a rest.

I have a friend who commutes in a 6.2 4x4. He was pleasantly surprised to be getting decent mpg, something in the 18 range. He is not heavy footed I'm sure. (This is Oklahoma for the record)

When my nephew was test driving all three (Boost, 5.0, and 6.2)a couple years ago, the sales team told him that the 6.2 would actually get the best towing mpg. I'm sure there are Ecoboost owners on this forum who would vehemently dispute that.

It would not at all surprise me if your 5.4 is good till 200,000 miles at least, tick notwithstanding.

If you weren't buying a loaded out truck, you would be ahead to buy new. We got a brand new 13 two years ago, XLT 5.0 Supercrew for $28,500. 4x2 Oklahoma Edition. But you are looking at $50-60 grand on something like you are describing new-unless you found a good deal on a leftover 14.
I would be partial to the 6.2, but I would be partial to the 13's extra two years of bug eradication in the 6 speed transmission. Tough choice.
If you're really concerned about fuel costs, the 6.2 can be converted to a bi-fuel cng 😏. Around here, there are actually enough CNG stations to make that feasible.

The 6.2 obliterated GM and Dodge towing a couple years back. Since then, GM has bumped their 6.2 performance, and "Ram" has introduced a 6.4.

Last edited by Hereford F150; 06-21-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interior, I'd call a draw. The 2013 will also have the updated Sync system. The 2011 will have the better leather seats the Limited used.

Engine comes down to personal choice. The EB can get great mileage or it can drink gas fast enough to make an Arab smile. Same can be said about the 6.2. The concern over turbo longevity isn't really a problem. The K03s that are used are bulletproof. I've driven Audis that use the same basic turbo with close to 300,000 on them. My friend just traded in his 2012 EB with 230,000 everything was factory and it still ran good.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being somewhat a pessimist, I would think the 6.2 could be harder to sell down the road if fuel prices are high at trade in time.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

I would get some ear plugs and just keep driving my truck if I were you. It could go another 100,000 without any major problem. If you are just tired of it, that's a different deal.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
..BUT being a limited I would think in 6-7 years when I trade it in it would be worth more ? ? ?
Neither truck will be worth a whole lot $$ at that point.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:45 PM
I just got back from looking at a 2012 lariat with the v6..2 tone black,black/grey interior..they were asking 25...what a piece of crap..makes me really appreciate my truck. The guy asked if my truck had any cam issues..i hit the remote start and said ..you tell me,and he said it sounded normal..then he gives me the keys to the 2012(this is on a lot).first thing you notice is a tire sensor light on..then the paint on the rocker as you get in worn to the metal...then I drive it and it has a dead miss and the check engine light comes on....and when I parked it I saw the fuel mileage was 7.8...hell my 5.4 gets 12 in the city...he apologized and said he would check it out. I left in my truck sounding like every other truck on the road..then for the hell of it punched it as I drove by his place..i have a gryphon tuner in my truck and it runs strong. ..I'm sure not going to jump into something worse...but at 150000 miles it just doesnt pay to put anything more into mine....but I'm sure in no hurry to sell it...

Old 06-21-2015, 04:25 PM
For what it's worth, 200,000 mile 00-02 Supercrews with leather are going for $5,000-$7,000 around here. $10,000 on buy here pay here lots. Given this, I don't really agree that your truck is necessarily not worth putting money in. There's something to be said for knowing what you have. I've talked to one of our customers who is a home builder who has had about three 300,000 mile F150s in a row. He was towing a good size dump trailer with his current 200,000ish mile truck the other day.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:08 PM
This is my truck...All I'm asking for is a truck equipped the same but newer...and I'm finding that easier said than done..... heck mine is a 06 with back up camera and dvd/mp3,I-pod etc..I'm having a had time just finding that in anything under a 13 .

Old 06-21-2015, 07:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Your old truck is beautiful, and it has everything you want! Keep it. It also doesn't sound like your engine is ready to go belly up, so just drive it and be happy.

I would not have traded my 05 King Ranch if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on the 2014 Platinum I now have. And, I can't help but miss my KR, even though I enjoy driving the Platinum.

If you HAVE to repair the old truck, that would be the time to decide on going with something newer and cutting your losses.

- Jack

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help PLEASE with truck purchase decision