Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Disable engine braking/downshift feature while in tow/haul

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 w/ the Non-Eco V6...

When in tow/haul mode, if you're going down hill it sometimes will jump all the way down to 3rd gear to try to slow you down and I can not stand it....

I've tried looking thru the menu's to disable it but can't find anything.

Does anyone know if I can disable it? I love the shift points and how the truck handles while in tow/haul.... but I can not stand this downshift feature.

If there's no way to turn it off, I guess I'm just going to have to start driving it in Manual mode while towing, to optimize accelerating shift points, and not have to worry about it jumping down 2 or 3 gears every time I let off the gas going down a hill.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:36 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Turn off cruise control.

- Jack

Old 06-16-2015, 09:39 AM
I'm not using cruise control while towing Jack..... And it's turned off by default when you start the truck.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think there's a way to defeat it. In tow/haul the PCM basically uses engine braking to keep the speed about the same as when you lifted off the throttle. If you hit the brakes it downshifts more to help the brakes. Personally, I like it since it saves the brakes and keeps them cool in case I really need them. It also holds me close to the speed limit on long downhill grades.

You can try keeping your foot ever so slightly on the gas to stop it from trying to slow down.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:57 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 03Fx4JD
I'm not using cruise control while towing Jack..... And it's turned off by default when you start the truck.
OK, I know CC has to be activated each time you start the truck, but I didn't know the truck attempts to maintain speed downhill in tow/haul mode with CC off. I haven't towed my trailer yet, so have not used tow/haul.

In my truck, it does what you describe going downhill if the CC is engaged and I'm driving in "D", (normal mode). If I turn the CC off, it seems to coast freely downhill.

I'll have to try tow/haul to see if I can duplicate what you're describing. I'm puzzled that it does this though - I thought tow/haul only raised the speeds where the truck would upshift during acceleration.

As you said in your first post, you COULD pull the shift lever back to "M" just as you start going down a hill to keep it in the current gear. It would be a bit like the way I used to push the O/D button to increase engine braking while towing and going downhill.

OR, you could push the tow/haul button to disable that during a descent? Reengage it at the hill bottom.

Edit: I see you beat me to the punch, Wookie - thanks for clarifying tow/haul for me. I like to use engine braking too, but the shifting down in steps took some getting used to. I use CC pretty much wherever I can.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 06-16-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:27 AM
The other nice thing about it downshifting and holding the gear is the engine is already in the sweet spot for making power once you get back on the gas. Instead of lift off the gas, truck jumps to 6th gear and coasts, get back on the gas, truck downshifts a couple of gears then you get power.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:23 PM
I'm going to agree with Wookie on this. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I tow frequently, sometimes a couple hundred mile round trip. The feature saves your brakes, and already has the engine in its powerband, with the transmission in the correct gear to lunge back into the harness for the next hill. If you were coming down a long steep grade, you would really appreciate it. I agree that occasionally it would be nice if it up shifted sooner when you hit a flat at the end of a descent, but that's being nit-picky.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:06 PM
If you want it to upshift just hit the gas, that should be enough to make it shift. If you have your productivity screen set to fuel usage the truck is using next no fuel at all in this condition.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:52 AM
It would be different if it were only downshifting one gear... but sometimes at slower speeds, say on a back road where I'm only running 50 or 55. sometimes even 45... and I'm in 5th or 6th gear... and hit a descent, it will drop to 3rd or at times It's even jumped to 2nd to try to maintain the speed...

And when that happens... Hold on! It sounds like the engine is going to explode... the RPM's Jump WAY up and the truck feels like you would expect... like it was slammed down into a low gear going way too fast for that gear....

Around here, the pro's do not outweight the cons... At least not for me...

I guess if I want to keep the shift points I'll keep doing what I'm doing, which is what Jack mentioned, just turn it off when I get to a downhill grade.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:45 AM
Try tapping the gas a little bit and letting it upshift. The nice thing about being in tow/haul is when granny pulls out in front of you the truck is ready to do its maximum braking. If you're out of tow/haul the engine braking won't happen.

The higher RPMs aren't doing anything remotely bad to the engine.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:49 AM
I've done that... tapping it but... when I need to brake just a little bit... the truck wants to brake a lot....

I'm wondering if mine is malfunctioning... b/c I don't think it should be jumping down so many gears at higher speeds. That's the issue... if it was only downshifting one, maybe two gears which is what you would do w/ a manual trans... that would be fine...

But having driven 100,000's of miles in a big rig, and owning several manual trans pick-up trucks... I've NEVER dropped form O/D down to 3rd gear going down a hill.... Dropping from 6th to 3rd just isnt right IMO.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:58 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

I would talk to the dealer. It may need a reflash.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 03Fx4JD
I've done that... tapping it but... when I need to brake just a little bit... the truck wants to brake a lot....

I'm wondering if mine is malfunctioning...
Since you're concerned, 03Fx4JD, it wouldn't hurt to have your dealer take a peek. How many miles are on your rig?

Crystal

Old 06-17-2015, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I too love the Tow/Haul, but the high RPM's gets on My nerves too sometimes. I tow an enclosed 7x14 trailer with a Polaris Ranger. I live in Delaware and go out to Burlington, WV.. I usually use CC with no problems. T/H does a good job when I get into the mountains. When I start down a steeper decline, I'll click the CC off, click T/H off, and then lockout 6th. with the "+" "-" selector button to be in 5th. gear. If I'm picking up speed I'll lock out 5th. to be in 4rth.. Then when I'm near bottom and back to cruising speed, I'll re-engage all gears, and click the CC and T/H back on. Sounds like a lot to do, but it's second nature, works for me, and I like the control.

My latest trip out to West Virginia. At the Walmarts in Keyser.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by FordService
Since you're concerned, 03Fx4JD, it wouldn't hurt to have your dealer take a peek. How many miles are on your rig?

Crystal
Around 36K I think.

Scarlet, I'm going to try that next time... Minus the CC part lol...

Quick Reply: Disable engine braking/downshift feature while in tow/haul