Sponsored by: DashLynx

INSTALLED: Raptor Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post INSTALLED: Raptor Exhaust

PARTS:
  • non-resonated intermediate pipe

*Part # 9L3Z-5A212-C (145" WB, 5.0L) NOTE: Had been previously installed to replace the resonator intermediate pipe.
  • exhaust pipe reducer -2½" OD inlet / 3" ID outlet / 8" long

*Custom-made, stainless steel.
  • exhaust band clamp - 3" stainless steel

*DynoMax part # 36439 NOTE: Used to attach exhaust pipe reducer to muffler pipe.
  • muffler + tailpipes - inlet: 3" OD / outlet: 2½" OD dual

*Part # AL3Z-5230-F NOTE: Since the spare has been removed from under the bed, the tailpipe heat shield was removed to eliminate collecting road debris, salt, sand, etc.. The exhaust tips (part # AL3Z-5202-A) were removed and replaced with ...
  • exhaust tips - 2½" inlet / 4" outlet / 12" long / ceramic coated matte black stainless steel

*GIBSON part # 500419-B
PICTURES:

RESULTS: Definitely more exhaust tone/purr at start-up and idle. At WOT the raspiness that was present with the 5.0L exhaust system is gone and while there isn't a bark it is noticeably louder. At highway cruising speed you can now hear the exhaust (with the radio off) - not loud, more of a background, low, mellow purr.

COMMENTS: While I knew it would be an easy install (all of the mounting points are the same and would slide-in) I didn't have access to a lift so I had it done at an exhaust shoppe just to eliminate the handling/extraction/install hastle of complete, non-cut-up exhaust systems. Since the Raptor exhaust was a *new*, no/low-miles take-off system, I expect that the tone will deepen as time goes along just like the original exhaust system.

I'm satisfied with the mod'. And I'm unanimous on that. I did it for the sound and cosmetic factors and knew that there wouldn't be (and didn't expect any) performance (HP and/or MPG) gains. +(plus) the co$t was reasonable:
  • $50 for the exhaust system.
  • $20 for the reducer.
  • $7 for the band clamp.
    *The ceramic coated matte black stainless steel tips were an unnecessary 2for bargain extravagance that I found ($120 for the pair).
The requirements were...
  1. no cutting of any OEM components.
  2. no welding.
  3. all components must be stainless steel.

EPILOGUE: Sorry ... Homely don't do Vid's (nor FaceSpace, MyBook, Twitter, IM, text, Skype, etc. despite being in IT for 30+ years).

Last edited by gDMJoe; 06-06-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gDMJoe
PARTS:[list][*] non-resonated intermediate pipe

*Part # 9L3Z-5A212-C (145" WB, 5.0L) NOTE: Had been previously installed to replace the resonator intermediate pipe.
Is that a ford part? And how much was it. I used some generic 2.5" stainless pipe and a pair of band clamps and actually cut out the resonator.

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
EPILOGUE: Sorry ... Homely don't do Vid's (nor FaceSpace, MyBook, Twitter, IM, text, Skype, etc. despite being in IT for 30+ years).
I don't blame you on that, I see them as the dumbing down of society.

BTW throw a good tune at it and your exhaust note will get louder, mine did.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:59 PM

05RedFX4 - Is that a ford part? And how much was it.
Yes, it is a FoMoCo part (as noted part # 9L3Z-5A212-C). Purchased and installed it 2-3 years ago - IIRC ~$60. *I wanted to preserve the resonator (which I still have) just-in-case.

Today it would co$t - $123.48 (retail) | $97.61 (or less, wholesale).

Old 06-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just trying to stay caught up with Joe. That's a difficult thing to do because he's generally one step ahead of me. One thing I've notice though. Joe and I have able the same taste and ideas about how to dress an F150.

I just finished installing a Raptor Exhaust on my 2014 Limited. I never did liked how low the exhaust tips hang and they look even more noticeable since there are two (2) outlets instead of only one.

I will soon be replacing the stainless Raptor exhaust tips with a set of NOS Harley Davidson F150 tips that are on the way. I was going to have the Raptor exhaust tips coated but instead decided to go with the H-D tips.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:44 PM

shortride ... I'm just trying to stay caught up with Joe. That's a difficult thing to do because he's generally one step ahead of me. One thing I've notice though. Joe and I have able the same taste and ideas about how to dress an F150. ...
Ebony and Ivory.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Looks great! I am going to have to get one of those tips for my truck.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:29 AM

Quick Reply: INSTALLED: Raptor Exhaust