2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 F150 Prerunner Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 F150 Prerunner Daily Driver

Hey everyone, just bought a 2010 f150 xlt 2wd screw 6.5'. I am looking to build a prerunner style truck without spending a ton, but still be able to hit the dunes. I am looking at the Camburg (bajakits) chase kit for 2wds, which comes with king shocks front and rear and a 4" spindle lift for the front with new UCA. also I would look at building my own pre runner bumper, run 35s (general grabber red labels) on fake beadlock wheels like the methods or fuel trophy in 17". at a later date I may look at getting front fenders from fiberwerx (not the one piece hood just the fenders) with bushwacker extend-a-flare for the rear to give the flared trophy truck look. Also would it be bad to run 1" wheel spacers in the rear so that the tires are the same track width front and rear?

So my question is would this be a good setup to run for a daily driving truck and still be able to hit the dunes and have some fun? I like to go fast, like really fast (I drive a race ATV on these trails and want to be able to rip down them) so what are the limits of this truck going to be? and it is only a 4.6L so will it be too slow (should I wait until I have a 5.4L which may not be for many years)?

Thanks for the help on my first build!

Old 06-06-2015, 10:38 PM
I'm certainly no expert in the field you are addressing, but I will say that I am firmly convinced the 4.6 is far better than the 5.4 when it comes to going the distance without major problems such as the infamous plug issue inherent to the 5.4. There should be a number of performance enhancements available for the 4.6.

Also, if you wait many years to upgrade, skip the 5.4 altogether, and go with a 5.0.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:01 AM
Going with that kit, you aren't really going to have long travel suspension both in the front and the rear, more or less just a higher performing lift kit so you'll still be rather limited in how fast you can hit the dunes compared to getting a true long travel kit.

In addition, without caging the truck you really won't want to go too fast anyways. Otherwise airtime and hard landings will lead to a bent frame pretty quickly.

Fenders would be a good idea, but with the front only being a .5" wider per side and not pulling high amounts of travel they may not be truly necessary. But it'll look kinda off with flared fenders up front and bushwacker flares in the rear. I'd consider just pulling the factory bed sides to get about an inch or so of flare.

17" wheels are going to be hit or miss, some work on the 09-14's some don't.

As for wheel spacers, anything you plan to run hard and beat on I would stay away from using them. If you look at just about any prerunner you'll notice the rear track width is left unchanged. Besides, the spindles only make you a .5" wider per side, which would be hardly noticeable. Adding 1" spacers in the rear would just make the rear wider than the front. Also, if you do ever plan to run spacers you need to do it the safest way possible by using ones with pressed in studs and the smallest you'll find those is about 1.5".

I recommend doing a lot of reading over on the dezertrangers forum, there's a whole lot of knowledgeable people there on this kind of stuff. But from the sounds of how you want to use the truck, be prepared to spend $10-15k+.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the replys, I sent an email to a few places and they told me that kit will not be very capable off road and that I would be better off with a long travel kit, the price on this project is going to be alot more than I currently have as a poor university student, Ill have to wait a few years to really build a truck that can handle the abuse I will put it through.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Hereford F150
I'm certainly no expert in the field you are addressing, but I will say that I am firmly convinced the 4.6 is far better than the 5.4 when it comes to going the distance without major problems such as the infamous plug issue inherent to the 5.4. There should be a number of performance enhancements available for the 4.6.

Also, if you wait many years to upgrade, skip the 5.4 altogether, and go with a 5.0.
I would have to disagree to an extent on this. Granted mines a 2000 i have the 5.4 with a few goodies under the hood and have it to about 400 at the tires and i beat the snot out of this truck in the desert. And the 5.4 has been nothing but good to me. But i would agree on the fact that if the OP has the chance go with the 5.0. OP if you intend on truely beating the truck up and going long travel. Do your homework. Understand the cost and plan a head. I would hate to see another exciting prerunner build turn into an unfinished project that ends up getting parted out. I have been in the prerunner game for a while now....if u think it will cost 5 grand plan for 7500....no lie....trust me i know lol

This pic was about a year ago. Now a days it has LED light bars on the bumper and roof. Bedsides mounted cage finished inside and 2 fullsize spares instead of one...among a few other odds and ends....but there is still much work to do

Old 08-26-2015, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the reply, I am someone who likes to do things correctly so I am going to wait a few years to be able to build a true pre runner and do it properly. and sweet truck btw

Old 08-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by canprerunner
Thanks for the reply, I am someone who likes to do things correctly so I am going to wait a few years to be able to build a true pre runner and do it properly. and sweet truck btw
Your welcome! I just like to inform people of my mistakes and hope they learn from them the easy way instead if the hard and costly way. Pay the money for the best parts...dont skimp on little things like snouts/bearings/hubs... trust me...building a prerunner you should seriously stick to the saying "buy once cry once" because its no lie. One thing to keep in mind from the get go box in your entire frame...it will do wonders for u down thw road. Thanks for the compliment on the truck....i love it...nothin more fun than pulling highway speeds and higher through a set of 2.5 foot tall whoops lol.

Quick Reply: 2010 F150 Prerunner Daily Driver