2009 - 2014 F-150

grinding noise on the highway?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grinding noise on the highway?

Hi all,

Thanks for having me and thanks for taking the time to read this and help! Any and all input is appreciated.

This morning (roughly freezing temperature - nothing out of the ordinary after the brutal winter we just had) got onto the highway to head to work and set the cruise control (as normal) at approx 110km/h (65mph) and after several seconds heard a distinct, quite unpleasant grinding noise. It was loud enough to be heard over the heater and radio. Turned the heater and radio off to listen closer and didn't like the sound of it - sounded like metal on metal. There was no different feel in the floor, pedals or steering wheel. As soon as I turned cruise control off, the noise disappeared! Turned cruise control back on, and the noise returned approx 5 seconds later. If I continued driving along normally and sustained a certain speed, the noise would appear after 5 seconds again and only go away once I lifted off the gas or coasted down a hill... Very bizarre. Once I got to work and poked my head underneath didn't immediately notice anything out of the ordinary - no funny smells or anything...

Hoping someone with a bit more knowledge than I have could provide some insight before I bring it to the dealer and know what I may be getting into...

Background info:
2011 FX4 ecoboost, crew cab. Stock, no modifications. Approx 134,000km (~80,000 miles)

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2015, 01:17 PM
Try kicking it in and out of 4x4. If it makes the noise in 2wd but not in 4wd, it's your IWE's.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-weakness.html

http://https://www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-s/371599-everything-you-wanted-know-about-iwe-system-then-some.html

Last edited by cndcowboy2014; 04-25-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by cndcowboy2014
Thanks for the links. I'd never even heard of IWEs until this started happening but the more I read about it the more I think that's the issue. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-26-2015, 03:55 PM
here is a link that explains everything you want to know.
http://www.f150forum.com/f72/how-dia...m-esof-186872/

Old 04-26-2015, 04:11 PM
I'm not sure but it may be your vacuum pump going bad. ecoboost has a vacuum pump that get seized from moisture. I think its under the right front head light and may be under warranty??? Any else know what i'm talking about??

Old 04-26-2015, 04:15 PM
Old 04-26-2015, 04:16 PM
left head light Sorry! Drivers side.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:21 PM
Ford F150 4X4 Diagnosis No Tools Required . I just replaced my check valve and the lines with the other check valve in it. Both valves were leaking causing IWE's engaging making noise.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:32 PM
Robotpepper, You will have to replace this vacuum pump someday, so watch this video.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Is this vacuum pump what's making the loud 'whirring' noise for a minute or two every time I start the truck up cold??

Old 04-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Thanks a ton to everyone for the links. Wound up dropping the truck off at the dealership (still covered under extended warranty, but from experience, it doesn't cover things that actually break) last night so hope to find find out tomorrow (Monday) morning when they get a chance to look at it. If it's anything that I'll have to pay for, I'll probably do it myself so these links will certainly come in handy. Greatly appreciated!

Old 04-27-2015, 06:28 PM
Tech @ dealership state they weren't able to replicate noise on highway. Argh. They did note, however, that my brake vacuum pump was being noisy and replaced that under warranty...

Old 04-28-2015, 09:33 AM
Very kool that they did it under warranty! Saved ya about $800.PLUS! Everyone (ecoboost) should complain about their vacuum pumps before their warranty is up. They are all going bad, more so where there is a lot of road salting in the winter. Sucks it up and you now have a $800 plus bill!

Old 04-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by robotpepper
Hi all,

Thanks for having me and thanks for taking the time to read this and help! Any and all input is appreciated.

This morning (roughly freezing temperature - nothing out of the ordinary after the brutal winter we just had) got onto the highway to head to work and set the cruise control (as normal) at approx 110km/h (65mph) and after several seconds heard a distinct, quite unpleasant grinding noise. It was loud enough to be heard over the heater and radio. Turned the heater and radio off to listen closer and didn't like the sound of it - sounded like metal on metal. There was no different feel in the floor, pedals or steering wheel. As soon as I turned cruise control off, the noise disappeared! Turned cruise control back on, and the noise returned approx 5 seconds later. If I continued driving along normally and sustained a certain speed, the noise would appear after 5 seconds again and only go away once I lifted off the gas or coasted down a hill... Very bizarre. Once I got to work and poked my head underneath didn't immediately notice anything out of the ordinary - no funny smells or anything...

Hoping someone with a bit more knowledge than I have could provide some insight before I bring it to the dealer and know what I may be getting into...

Background info:
2011 FX4 ecoboost, crew cab. Stock, no modifications. Approx 134,000km (~80,000 miles)

Thanks!

Thanks for the links. I'd never even heard of IWEs until this started happening but the more I read about it the more I think that's the issue. Thanks for the help!

Is this vacuum pump what's making the loud 'whirring' noise for a minute or two every time I start the truck up cold??

Thanks a ton to everyone for the links. Wound up dropping the truck off at the dealership (still covered under extended warranty, but from experience, it doesn't cover things that actually break) last night so hope to find find out tomorrow (Monday) morning when they get a chance to look at it. If it's anything that I'll have to pay for, I'll probably do it myself so these links will certainly come in handy. Greatly appreciated!

Tech @ dealership state they weren't able to replicate noise on highway. Argh. They did note, however, that my brake vacuum pump was being noisy and replaced that under warranty...
Hey robotpepper,

I saw another one of your posts and responded there. Your local dealer is your best resource with this concern. Please continue working with them for a resolution.

Mariel

Old 04-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by RevBiker
Very kool that they did it under warranty! Saved ya about $800.PLUS! Everyone (ecoboost) should complain about their vacuum pumps before their warranty is up. They are all going bad, more so where there is a lot of road salting in the winter. Sucks it up and you now have a $800 plus bill!
That was certainly quite pleasing - it seems to be hit or miss what the extended warranty covers these days!

Quick Reply: grinding noise on the highway?