2009 - 2014 F-150

Truck Caps

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Caps

I'm just starting to look into a new cap for my 2012 F150 Screw. I know very little about the differences and am looking for some input. I have local dealers that sell Leer, Snugtop and Are so that's what I've seen. Any thoughts, preferences and experiences would be greatly appreciated. What do you have? Why did you choose it? How long have you had it? How do you like it?
I don't need anything extremely fancy. Just something to keep my dogs and hunting/fishing gear dry and secure.
Thanks in advance!

Old 04-20-2015, 11:21 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I bought a new Leer camper shell for my 2000scab when it was new. I really liked it and it was a high quality unit. It went with my truck when I sold it.

My 02 scab I have now has a used cap that I picked up for $275 and had painted for another $275. There is nothing on it to identify the manufacturer. It's okay but I just found out that it fits the regular cab and wasn't intended for my scab. It is very close to the brake light.

You should probably scour craigslist for one and save a bunch of money.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:18 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I have an A R E LS II on my 2014 SCrew. I've had LSII caps on other trucks. I looked around at others but there was always something I didn't like about them. Jason makes one that is as good as the A R E but it has a mickey mouse cover over the key that won't last long. Astro has one very similar to the Jason. The Leer looks cheap to me. The dealer had one with Fords name all over it. It even uses your truck key to open it. That would have been my second choice. I don't remember who makes it but it's one of the national companies. It would have been about 200 bucks less than the A R E LS II. I paid or maybe I should say, I got screwed out 1400 bucks on my truck cap by the A R E supplier in San Antonio. After being lied to about arrival time and discounts offered that never made it to the paperwork, I won't have another one. If the dealer still carrys the caps on the next truck, that's the one I'm buying. If you think they are a secure place to store things- they aren't. You can open mine locked with one hand by pushing up on it. The locks are flimsy at best and they're all like that. The hard fiberglas units will keep the rain out and you have a dry area back there. They're enough to keep the honest folks out of the bed of the truck. I'm not a fan of any of the plastic crap like some of the roll ups. I've seen too many that the sun just kills them and then they don't work at all. And that's less than ayear old. I guess it's what you're wanting one for. I put mine on within the first 3 months so I can't say if it helps with the gas mileage. I get 25-27 hiway with the 3.7 driving 65 mph. It drops pretty quick the faster you go. It's about 19-20 at 75 mph. The A R E LS II looks like a million bucks on the truck and I've had a lot of folks comment on the looks of the truck. Most think it's the top of the line truck with it but it's just an STX without the STX badging in white with 20" wheels.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:46 PM
Hi! I use undercover in my las2 F150. It's very easy to take off and install again every time I have to load my ATV. It's lightweight, keep dry the bed. Check also the SWING box from undercover, very handy small box to keep items organised.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:36 PM
This is my second Leer 100xq. I really like them. I am not so happy about the color match on the Platinum White. They did a good job matching my 2005 F150 Red.

I got the fishing pole holder and remote unlock. I wish I had gotten the top rack for the Kayaks and bikes.

Current 2012 Screw:

My old 2005 red:

And my old 2002 F150 with an ARE:

Last edited by Rogue F150; 04-25-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the Leer 100XL and have only had it since January 2015. I take my dogs to work everyday and got the topper so that they can hang out in the back. So far, I've been really happy with it. Some of the F150 paint colors have some variations to them and require that you pick your match from a swatch. My color had 5 I think so I was a little nervous about the match but it came back great. I highly recommend getting the auto lock so that it locks and unlocks with your truck remote. The removable front window is really nice to have as well so that you can clean the back window of the truck every now and then.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rogue F150
This is my second Leer 100xq. I really like them. I am not so happy about the color match on the Platinum White. They did a good job matching my 2005 F150 Red.
My Leer dealer said that they will repaint it at no charge if you're not happy with the match. They will take your fuel door off your truck and sent it along with the topper to do an exact match.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
My 2005 King Ranch has an ARE cover. It is painted with automotive paint, not gel coat, and the color is a perfect match.

Name:  Sig.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  16.1 KB

It has "flip up" windows on both sides, which make it easy to get to things near the front of the bed. The interior of the cover is covered in a dark grey "carpet-like" material that goes well with the bed, which is Line-X'd.

The front window in the cap has a slider that opens like the slider in the truck's back window, so you can extend long, narrow things into the cab when they won't fit in the bed, such as thinwall or PVC pipe. And, the entire front window in the cap also folds down so that you can clean the outside of the cab's rear window easily.

My cap is about six inches higher than the cab, and at the front of the cap is a "skylight", that lets a bit of extra light into the bed.

I've had the cap since I bought the truck used in 2007. It still looks brand new.

- Jack

Old 04-28-2015, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgiaF150
My Leer dealer said that they will repaint it at no charge if you're not happy with the match. They will take your fuel door off your truck and sent it along with the topper to do an exact match.
Thanks! I will try that. Not sure they will do it because I have had it for a while now.

Quick Reply: Truck Caps