2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 Electrical Issue - Need Help - Multiple items not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Electrical Issue - Need Help - Multiple items not working

I have a 2010 Super Crew - I experienced a problem two times now where about half of my electrical items were not working. It started with the key fob not working as I approached the truck. Once I opened the door with the key, the truck started but the center part of the dash including, radio, ac, display, door locks etc.. was out.

The major issue is that the circuit that enables you to shift out of park by pressing on the brake sensor is in this electrical grouping as well. So there was no way to drive the truck.

I checked every fuse and they all are fine. I am not sure if there is a way to visually check relays.

Next I completely disconnected the battery for a few minutes and when I reconnected it, everything was back to normal. Everything came on and was working properly.

The first time it happened, the truck was connected to my trailer for a few days at a campsite and when we attempted to leave, the issue occurred. The kids had all their stuff plugged in and I had accidentally left the trailer plugged into the truck, so I just chocked it up to some weird issue with the trailer.

It just happened again yesterday, but no trailer. Came out of work and exact thing happened. This time I disconnected the battery, reconnected and was on my way in 5 minutes but I need to figure out the issue.

The truck is completely stock with the exception of an aftermarket brake controller. I have been using the truck and trailer together since 2010 and this is the only problem I have ever had.

I do not want to go to the dealer and have them charge me hour and hours chasing down an electrical issue. Any suggestion?

Shaun

Old 04-19-2015, 09:58 PM
Shot in the dark, but I'd check all the under hood grounds. It seems like a ground issue when it's groups of components together not working. From what I've found, there can be 4 or 5 ground wires banded together to one point.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:44 PM
WFO
Another long shot. Did you buy the truck new? If used check for water damage as the truck may have been flooded. Rust under the seats , under the dash , and under the carpet are good inicators.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your best bet is to get a hold of the wiring diagrams for your truck and start looking for places where all of these things come together. I have a feeling one of the power controllers might be on the way out. The 2009 and up trucks control the electrical power differently than older cars do. I doubt it's an actual broken wire, ground issue or loose connection. Disconnecting the battery wouldn't change anything for these issues and certainly wouldn't make them all go away immediately.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:14 PM
clean your battery terminals and inside the cable ends!!!

Old 01-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Angry No Crank,No Start and multiple dash items illuminated 2010 Lariat Platinum

Just bought a p.o.s from Olger Motors in NJ, 2010 Ford Lariat Platinum with under 60k miles. I had the car less than two months and it won't crank or start. When I try to start the dash lights up with multiple messages scrolling..(check 4x4,low fuel,antitheft,wrench light,trailer brake,) you name it and it scrolls. Iv'e been researching everything from anti-theft issues to pcm power relay,Gem Modules.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you just bought it I would be calling the car lot and pushing them to fix it. I also think there might be some factory warranty left if you're under 60k.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:45 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I'd pull the battery, take it to a parts store, get it charged and load tested.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^This and if it still has the original OEM battery in it just replace it.

You bought a used 6 year old truck and it is a POS because something has worn out on it. Funny.

Last edited by grizzstang; 01-07-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:20 PM
so I again this morning it didn't start, so I called a tow truck to the mechanic. As soon as the tow got the truck (10 minutes) away to garage..the truck started. The mechanic tried all day and it starts.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:21 PM
why replace a battery if they say it's "good" I actually asked if I should and they said the original battery is better than an after market battery and they don't see anything wrong with the battery.

Quick Reply: 2010 Electrical Issue - Need Help - Multiple items not working