2009 - 2014 F-150

Anyone Else Have Valence Panel Fall Open?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Anyone Else Have Valence Panel Fall Open?

Recently on a wintry night in northern Ohio, was headed on a early evening 90 mile round trip. I thought I heard something, but it was windy so attributed it to that. Got where we were headed and backing up to leave, was sure I heard something, stopped at the first place I found that was light enough to see anything. The valence panel under the engine had dropped open, was bent back and dragging. After ninety miles of dragging, of course it was destroyed. $309.xx later all is well. I asked the serviceman at the dealer if that happens often, he was kind of non-committal in his answer. I showed him the service receipt for an oil change, but that was 4 months and about 4K miles ago. Different dealer. Anyone else out there in 150 land had a similar experience. I have a 2014.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:56 PM
On a 2014 if it fell off it, I would think it wound have been covered under warranty? I hope you didn't pay the $309 out of pocket

Old 03-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BillP603
On a 2014 if it fell off it, I would think it wound have been covered under warranty? I hope you didn't pay the $309 out of pocket

x2. Is that panel something that is normally removed when changing the oil? If not, then I'd say that it was not properly attached from the factory and that warranty should cover it. OTOH good luck convincing Ford of that! But I have two words for you if they won't cover it; Social Media!

Old 03-08-2015, 11:45 AM
As stated earlier, the truck had the first oil change at about 3K miles, but that was 4 months and about 4K miles ago. Oil change at a different dealer. When we get back to the area where the truck had that oil change, I will show them the bill. I do not expect much to happen. BTW, yes I payed out of pocket as I carry high deductible insurance.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This happened to a friend after he had his oil changed. Only he was lucky and only one side fell off so it didn't drag the ground. I slid under truck and put it back on for him. They are held on with a couple of 1/4 turns so taking them off is pretty easy. The owners manual tells you to remove it when you're driving off road so it doesn't get damaged. I took mine off a long time ago and haven't bothered to put it back on. It only serves as a way to smooth out airflow under the truck for a small gain in fuel mileage and as a sound barrier. I like the sound of my turbos spooling up, leaving it off makes it louder.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:23 PM
my 2012 ecoboost SCREW did this.

I do my own oil changes so I'm pretty sure I put the screws back in tight (they are 1/4 turn thumb screws on mine... not actually threaded)

About a week after my last oil change it came loose. I only drive a few miles to work so there was no damage (it was a back screw that came out).

I reinstalled it and made very sure it was tight.

About 1-2 months later it came loose again. This time the screw fell out of the cover and was lost. So I zip-tied it up.

A few weeks later the zip tie broke so I just took the cover off and now it sits in my garage.

I'm guessing that the missing cover is probably lowering my MPGs by about 0.1 MPGs... probably not worth the cost of replacing it???
What is the general forum consensus on this thought?

Old 03-17-2015, 10:10 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I wouldn't spend the money to replace it if something happened to it but if I had it then I'd use it unless I was going off road. Anything that helps my MPG is welcome!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
anyone have a pic of what it looks like? my 5.0 never came with one? Just curious

Old 03-22-2015, 08:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have a pic but it's a fiber board panel that has a foil backed insulation glued to the top side. It closes out the area between the frame rails from the engine crossmember to the tranny crossmember.

Quick Reply: Anyone Else Have Valence Panel Fall Open?