2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Really need help deciding on tires...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really need help deciding on tires...

I have a 2013 FX4 Ecoboost with the luxury package and the lifetime free tires deal. The dealership told me they'd let me put what ever tires I want on it, I just have to pay the difference in cost compared to the factory tires and it would end the free tires for life deal. I drive primarily on the highway and I see snow and ice during the winter.

So I'm looking at leveling the truck, which I believe is a 2" kit? So here is what I've narrowed it down to:

LT295/60r20 Toyo Open Country ATII which weigh 62.4lbs each and are $434ish each from the dealership. Would I need to go with a 2.5" leveling kit for this size?

LT285/60r20 Goodyear DuraTrac which weigh 59lbs each and are $416 each from the dealership

I do have 3.55 gears, not sure if that will make a difference between the two. I'm also aware that I'll probably lose a couple miles per gallon with either one.

So what say ye? If neither of these, what would you recommend? Thanks

Old 03-03-2015, 11:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
With free tires for life, I'd stay with the OEMs. You're going to give up a lot of money in tire replacement and in additional fuel costs if you go with something larger.

- Jack

Old 03-04-2015, 07:35 AM
Even though the Pirelli's aren't much to speak of traction-wise, it sounds to me that you'd be better off doing what Jack says. If you're set on different tires, it would help if you included how much (per tire) the dealership claims that the OEM replacement tires would cost. The Toyo tires in that size are 10-ply rated…talk about riding like a cement truck. I found them advertised on line for $348 ea., but back-ordered. So you'd be getting gouged on the tire purchase and losing a benefit you obviously paid for up front.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:24 AM
$190 is the dealer price on the Pirelli's.

Honestly, I'll never do the free tires for life again. I would have replaced the tires after the first snow we had because the tires are just horrible now. But the dealer won't replace them until they get down to 4/32's. I even asked if they'd prorate them, no.

I read online about dealers not honoring free tires for life because they didn't have the rotations done at the dealer. I asked my service guy about that and he said "Well, the idea around offering that is to get you to come back here for maintenance." After having my skid plate all but fall off after my last service, I'm ready to just do my own oil changes again which means I won't be taking it back for rotations either.

Finally, there is a 99% chance this will be the only set of tires I put on it. I'll probably trade it or sell it before it hits 100,000 miles and if things play out right, it may get traded before these tires even go on it

Old 03-04-2015, 07:53 PM

Free tires for life but you HAVE to bring it in for tire rotations...um nope. Unless I can rotate them myself and get it. Not that it would work with my setup anyway.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:38 PM
I would have to say free for life is not free, no one gives money away like that. Ill bet your paying for the tires some how. whether it in the financing or its in the price of the truck but some how your paying for them. and if your paying for them might as well keep them.

Last edited by fordboyj; 03-04-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:32 AM
yea free tires for life is a dealer thing. Look up on here how to price a new truck and see if you can get the same pricing.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:23 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
They probably hit you up for balancing every time you have to take it in for rotation? right?

I buy from Sam's Club and let them rotate and balance them for free every 10k miles or so.

Quick Reply: Really need help deciding on tires...