2009 - 2014 F-150

Gas vs diesel

Old 03-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas vs diesel

Not sure if this is the right forum for the topic...

There's a lot of noise out there about the need for Ford to offer a diesel in the F150. I feel the diesel is overrated. When you consider the extra cost of diesel, DEF, higher maintenance costs, greater initial purchase cost, repair costs more, availability of quality fuel in many areas, I don't think there's an advantage to owning a diesel. I will even say that at the very least, the longevity gap between gas and diesel engines has greatly narrowed.

Exhibit A: The new 2.7 'Boost spanks the 3.0 Ram/Fiat diesel like a wicked stepchild towing uphill, yet is rated only 2 mpg less highway. There's no way that 28 mpg diesel overcomes 26 mpg gas when factoring in cost per gallon and def, not to mention that the 2.7 has an official empty 0-60 time in the mid 6's, while some unofficial runs have dipped into the 5's.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:58 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wouldn't consider a half ton diesel, especially when the EB's are out in the f150's.. Now back 5 or 10 years ago i would have wanted one, but not now.

I watched the TFL truck video that was released yesterday on the 2.7 going up the Ike... It was pretty impressive, they had problems keeping it at the 60mph

Old 03-02-2015, 11:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think it would be a great option

Old 03-03-2015, 02:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The 2.7 Eco is only $800 more than the standard engine. The 3.5 is actually $2300 more and the 5.0 is $1600 more according to the Ford build site.

On the Dodge Ram build site, the 5.7 HEMI is $1150 more than the standard engine. The 3.0 EcoDiesel is $4270 more...

If a diesel is what you want, get it... If I wanted a diesel, it would be in a 35 series truck..

Anyway, glad there is choices out there and now it's just what does the public want and are willing to spend their $$ on??

Mitch

Old 03-03-2015, 10:17 AM
I have drove the eco boost and I ride quite often in a dodge with it new eco diesel, and to tell you the truth I couldn't tell witch is stronger. but with that said the dodge I ride in all the time is a delivery truck and its very noisy. I don't know if it because of the plastic floor mat and the ford had carpets but it seems to have the loud diesel tick!

Old 03-03-2015, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by fordboyj
I have drove the eco boost and I ride quite often in a dodge with it new eco diesel, and to tell you the truth I couldn't tell witch is stronger. but with that said the dodge I ride in all the time is a delivery truck and its very noisy. I don't know if it because of the plastic floor mat and the ford had carpets but it seems to have the loud diesel tick!
Have you watched the video of the 2.7 Boost drag racing the E-diesel up the mountain with a 7,500 pound trailer in tow behind each? It's not even close after the first lunge off the line.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:20 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I'll be curious to see the actual 2.7 mpg when more get sold. I keep reading where that eco diesel is doing real well on fuel in tests and by people. The eco engines are so varied and often times the 5.0 gets the same or better and the base V6 shines as well. I love diesels but I'll get one in a 1 ton. Makes more sense for the other reasons you mentioned.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:27 PM
Ford has had the quietest cab since 09. The 14 GM trucks are heralded by their proponents for being so quiet that "there is no quieter interior than the new GM truck." Translation: after FIVE years they finally caught up with Ford. The Interior decibel levels that I have seen recorded in the 14s are identical.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm curious to see how the diesel Titan sells.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:53 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by AndersonS
I'm curious to see how the diesel Titan sells.
That motor is going to be Nissan's saving grace.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Regarding the Titan: currently Ford sells as many F150s in a week or so as Nissan sells of the Titan in a year, so there's only one direction for it to go, and that's up.

Another Titan observation: they are making this emphatic point that the Titan XD is going to bridge the gap between the light duty and heavy duty trucks. Yet, its max tow rating is less than that of the F150, and if I remember correctly, the payload is a HALF TON less than the F150's 3,000 # rating. Dare we suggest that the gap has already been bridged?

Having said that, with the Cummins reputation under the hood, I would expect the Titan diesel to be more warmly received than a Fiat powered Dodge-I mean Ram. Fiat isn't one of the names that come to my mind simultaneously with world class or longevity.

Having said THAT, I wonder if Cummins really has the V8 diesel down like they do the I6?

Old 03-03-2015, 10:03 PM
Regarding the Titan: currently Ford sells as many F150s in a week or so as Nissan sells of the Titan in a year, so there's only one direction for it to go, and that's up.

Another Titan observation: they are making this emphatic point that the Titan XD is going to bridge the gap between the light duty and heavy duty trucks. Yet, its max tow rating is less than that of the F150, and if I remember correctly, the payload is a HALF TON less than the F150's 3,000 # rating. Dare we suggest that the gap has already been bridged?

Having said that, with the Cummins reputation under the hood, I would expect the Titan diesel to be more warmly received than a Fiat powered Dodge-I mean Ram. Fiat isn't one of the names that come to my mind simultaneously with world class or longevity.

Having said THAT, I wonder if Cummins really has the V8 diesel down like they do the I6?

Old 03-04-2015, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Hereford F150
Have you watched the video of the 2.7 Boost drag racing the E-diesel up the mountain with a 7,500 pound trailer in tow behind each? It's not even close after the first lunge off the line.
oh I know ford out pulls the dodge by a lot I was just stating how noisy the dodge

Old 03-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by Hereford F150

you could say that again oh wait you did lol

Old 03-05-2015, 12:01 PM
I think that paying for a diesel (upfront cost, maintenance cost, fuel cost) in a F150 would be a waste of money.

Where the diesel would be needed would be for towing... and you would run out of payload long before you needed the extra power

Diesels belong in superduties.

Ford actually knows what they are doing with the EcoBoost as an option for F150s.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas vs diesel