2009 - 2014 F-150

F150 5.0 Exhaust/Cold Air Intake Questions

Old 02-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 5.0 Exhaust/Cold Air Intake Questions

Hi, I am new on this forum. I am 100% these questions have been asked before, however I'll re-ask them specifically to my interest.

I bought have a 2013 FX4 5.0L, simply because its a truck to get from home to work and vice versa, therefore simply for fun. I've add a no-name cold air intake, custom built, however I've heard the Roush is a much better option... So can someone explain how a hollow tube with a air filter at the end will make any difference one from another.

Secondly, which exhaust should I go for, to make the truck sound more aggressive? I'd doesn't have to be over the top but enough for me to get pleasure for spending the money on it. I have searched on ebay and the Roush are seemingly Ford's favorite, the single exhaust with a black double tip ($650), then there is the magnaflow which is a y-double configuration (ranging from $300-700). Is this bad quality:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F150-07-13-d...274f42&vxp=mtr

Lastly, I was also looking at chips, are they forth it? All in all I have more idea what to get or what the difference is between the brands, any help and explanation would be greatly appreciated!

BTW first time truck owner, and loving it!

Old 02-28-2015, 02:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-06-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Just a reply this is the homemade air intake:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BCP-RED-11-14-Ford-F150-5-0L-V8-Heat-Shield-Cold-Air-Intake-Filter-/141038900412?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AF-150&hash=item20d692d4bc
By homemade i mean no name lol... sorry for misunderstanding, its this a valid one or should I remove it?

Old 02-28-2015, 02:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-06-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:26 PM
Ok i'll do that. Thank you!

Old 02-28-2015, 10:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Elaborating upon MGDfan comments .....

OEM, stock air intake .....
  • already CAI.
  • CFM exceeds engine requirements/needs. *UNLESS über engine modifications are done.
  • no contaminating the MAF sensor with oil. *Which reduces performance and MPG.
  • there are NO performance and/or MPG gains with aftermarket air intake systems. *If you're looking for performance and/or possible MPG gains, put your $$$$$ towards a tuner+tune(s).
Otherwise - Get an aftermarket air intake for ...
  • the engine bay cosmetics.
  • the increase in growl.

Do it for any other reason and you're wasting your $$$$$
Regarding after-market, oiled drop-in panel air filters (read K&N) ...
  • increases the likelihood of oil contaminating the MAF sensor. *Over time even minute oil contamination decreases power and MPG. When it's REALLY EXCESSIVE it will be intuitively obvious.
  • any increase in CFM comes at the expense of filtration.
  • cleaning is a PITA. *And, Yes, I've done it on MAS equipped vehicles.
  • Motorcraft, OEM air filters ...
    • meets|exceeds engine air intake CFM requirements.
    • good for 30,000+ miles (depending upon conditions).
    • ABSOLUTELY NO possibility of MAF sensor oil contamination.
    • dispose and replace maintenance.
Regarding exhaust ...
Never understood the fascination in removing/replacing a perfectly good factory, free-flowing (resonator -AND- muffler are straight-thru), stainless steel exhaust system with an after-market.

*resonator
There are little (if any) to no performance gains. UNLESS ... You opt for mod'ing the cylinder heads, or go forced induction, or other high $$$$$ engine modifications. Ya I know what about with a tune? 99.9% of the resulting performance gains are the result of "the tune" with the exhaust change contribution minimal to none. *And a dyno' trumps a mail-order.

If you're doing it for the sound ... Remove the OEM muffler and install a stainless steel performance muffler that is the same length or is attached using stainless steel tubing. NEVER replace with aluminized counterparts when you start-out with stainless steel.
Anyway ... That's my opinion(s). And I'm unanimous on that.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:38 PM
personally i went with the S&B intake ($299) and the roush side exit exhaust ($599). intake took less than 45mins to install and exhaust took less than 2 hours so they're a pretty easy mod.

as far as performance goes, i feel a noticeable difference in the response of the motor specially during highway driving when i need to pass someone for whatever reason.

Sound is amazing... the exhaust alone has a deep rumble at idle and it screams when you step on it, but as far as freeway driving there is a noticeable drone in the cab when cruising at 2k RPM's like when going up a slight incline. anything above or below 2K RPM's
is fairly quiet. when the intake was installed the sound of the exhaust became a little deeper at idle and driving. idk if it's just the placebo effect or it actually did but i love the sound that this combo makes.

as far as tunes go, i still haven't gotten any, but when i do i will be getting an SCT X4 with 5 star tuning custom tunes. from what i've gathered they're one of the best if not the best company for tuning these 5.0L.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
llangarica ... as far as performance goes, i feel a noticeable difference in the response of the motor specially during highway driving when i need to pass someone for whatever reason.

Sound is amazing... the exhaust alone has a deep rumble at idle and it screams when you step on it, but as far as freeway driving there is a noticeable drone in the cab when cruising at 2k RPM's like when going up a slight incline. anything above or below 2K RPM's
is fairly quiet. when the intake was installed the sound of the exhaust became a little deeper at idle and driving. idk if it's just the placebo effect or it actually did but i love the sound that this combo makes.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by gDMJoe
lol that's awesome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F150 5.0 Exhaust/Cold Air Intake Questions