2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can my Nerf bars be adjusted?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 03:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can my Nerf bars be adjusted?

Hey everyone. Need help. I just bought my 2011 FX4 a little over a week ago. I ansitely love the truck. Even love the Nerf bars however there's a small problem.

1. They are slippery as all hell. It's almost better to not use them when it's wet or has some snow on them.

2. They are barely coming out of the bottom of the truck. They are actually a pretty good size but they are ticked in so much it's an issue.

With both of these being an issue, I have slipped on them at least a half dozen times. Banging the hell out of my shins an ankles and have black and blue bruises and sore legs because of it.

Wondering of the Ford Nerf Bars can be adjusted to maybe come out an inch or 2 so that I can for my whole foot on it.

If not, maybe someone here would like to sell or trade me for the Raptor bars.

Thanks in advance
Mrags

Old 12-22-2014, 12:10 PM
which ones do you have? Can you post a picture?

If you want different ones - check out the sales forums on here, or check out Craigslist.

I upgraded mine from the XLT chrome ones to the FX4 style. But mine have rubber "lines" all across the entire top. I've never had any issues with them being slippery.

I wonder if someone changed out the ones on your truck???

Old 12-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've slipped on mine a couple of times. So I put on a set of ford molded splash guards on the front to keep the tires from throwing snow and slush on them and it's much better.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
which ones do you have? Can you post a picture?

If you want different ones - check out the sales forums on here, or check out Craigslist.

I upgraded mine from the XLT chrome ones to the FX4 style. But mine have rubber "lines" all across the entire top. I've never had any issues with them being slippery.

I wonder if someone changed out the ones on your truck???
This isn't a photo I took, just found it online. But they are the same ones that are on my truck.

They say FORD on them and they look factory so I'd imagine they are.

Last edited by Mrags; 12-22-2014 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Adding picture
Old 12-22-2014, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
I've slipped on mine a couple of times. So I put on a set of ford molded splash guards on the front to keep the tires from throwing snow and slush on them and it's much better.
Based on the pic in your sig, we have the same bars. Like I said. I think it's just because mine are so close to the truck. I have a size 13" foot so I am not able to get much of my foot on the bar and when it's wet, it's slippery as hell. Slides on the rubber or the metal parts.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
They are the same. Try some splash guards, it worked for me.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:18 AM
I've always wondered if the support brackets for the Super Duty step bars would work on the F-150 bars. On the Super Duty trucks the bars hang just right to get your foot on top of them both on entering and exiting. The F-150 bars are positioned at too awkward a location for me.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:33 AM
same ones on my fx2. they are useless for getting in and out of the truck for me. not enough room to get a good foot hold with out slipping or very awkwardly getting in the truck.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
They are the same. Try some splash guards, it worked for me.
Already have the splash guards at th wheel wells. It's literally so bad that if you even get some flakes of snow on them it slicks right up. Or even if your shoes are wet.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by GoingGoingGone
I've always wondered if the support brackets for the Super Duty step bars would work on the F-150 bars. On the Super Duty trucks the bars hang just right to get your foot on top of them both on entering and exiting. The F-150 bars are positioned at too awkward a location for me.
That's a good Idea. Maybe I'll take it to ford and ask if they can figure that out.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:00 PM

Before forking out the money for new bars you could try to put a better skid resistant surface on it. Either tape off and spray it or use some tape on stuff, like skateboard surface tape.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:05 AM
That just seems so cheapie to me. Like rigged beyond belief. Not something I really want to do with a 30+ thousand dollar truck.

Quick Reply: Can my Nerf bars be adjusted?