Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

backflip vs roll-n-lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
backflip vs roll-n-lock

Dealership has a roll-n-lock demo, seems pretty nice, not sure how big the header piece is that everything rolls into.

I saw a BF G2 the other day in person on a truck. I really like the low profile look and design. Not sure how I like how they fold and "store" in the upright position up against the glass.

Thoughts?
Suggestions?

Any other brands/models I should look at?

Thanks
-Patrick

Old 11-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I put an undercover flex on mine, it's like the bak flips but uses prop rods to keep the cover off the back glass, and they are cheaper than the bak flips. I've actually had mine propped up on the rods at highway speeds and it held up just fine.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/be...over-flex.html

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 11-20-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the fiber max backflip model, and used to have a roll and lock (actually it was a pace Edwards jack rabbit). I liked the roll and lock -- it did a fairly good job shedding water and looked pretty nice. THEN when I got my new truck I ddcided to try a bakflip after seeing one on a coworkers truck. Best decision I've made so far in truck accessories. Locking strut arms hold entire cover against the rear window glass so you lose visibility there if you need the whole bed, but it's the equivalent of towing something large or carrying a full load in the back. Sheds water better than the roll and lock and is less maintenance. Also, locks with the tailgate, so no extra keys necessary. Easy to instal as well. I have mine on my 07 Lariat with a line-x liner.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my bakflip for several years now and it's holding up very well.. I chose it because I liked that it's sits flush inside the bed, and the way it folds too of course.. You get full use of your bed when folded and you don't have to worry about it being stored against your glass.. It actually folds up against the cab a little higher than the glass and the panel has little bumpers on it to protect everything. I've had it folded against the cab on the highway at approx 70mph with zero problem.. There customer service is top notch too.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
I put an undercover flex on mine, it's like the bak flips but uses prop rods to keep the cover off the back glass, and they are cheaper than the bak flips. I've actually had mine propped up on the rods at highway speeds and it held up just fine.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/be...over-flex.html
Would you post a picture of the cover in the upright position in relation to the width vs the cab. Like so I can get a better idea of how much it sticks up compared to the cab?

Old 11-21-2014, 12:45 AM
I have a BakFlip on my 2011 SCab I love it great product.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Patman
Dealership has a roll-n-lock demo, seems pretty nice, not sure how big the header piece is that everything rolls into.

I saw a BF G2 the other day in person on a truck. I really like the low profile look and design. Not sure how I like how they fold and "store" in the upright position up against the glass.

Thoughts?
Suggestions?

Any other brands/models I should look at?

Thanks
-Patrick

I had a Roll-N-Lock on my truck when I bought it. It looked nice but it leaked a fair amount and you loose about a foot of your box. I have also seen the vinyl cover crack on other ones around town. I ended up selling it because I could not get my quad in the box with it in place. I have a Bakflip HD now and I prefer it by far. If you have any chance of hail I would look at the Bakflip Fibermax or F1 as they are far more dent resistant due to their Fiberglass Reineforced Polymer Panels. Where I live hail is pretty common so Bakflip made an HD version (with the FRP Panels) specifically for the dealer I bought it from due to several issues with the metal panels denting. When I upgrade my truck down the road I will be getting another Bakflip for sure.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:55 PM
I second what Grizzstang says too. The roll and locks look nice and flush, but losing that 12" or so of bed is crucial, especially with a 5.5' bed. AND, if the drain lines get clogged, the only place for the water to go is directly into your bed, whereas with the BakFlip water sheaths off the top. When those lines get clogged, water runs the other way off your truck, not into your bed. At the time I had the roll and lock, I also had a drop in bed liner, which meant when water leaked it also pooled. Once I came back to find all my gear soaked to the bone. Reconfirm vote for backflip. Lots of pics online of cover in upright position

Old 11-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Global Moderator &

might see if anything goes on sale for Black Friday

Old 11-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Global Moderator &

Autoanything has the G2 for 10% off and free shipping for black Friday,

Old 11-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Global Moderator &

ordered a G2 for 710.10 (shipped) today. Can't wait to get it installed

Old 11-29-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
ordered a G2 for 710.10 (shipped) today. Can't wait to get it installed
That's not a bad price.. Congrats!

I purchased mine from Auto Accessories Garage on 12/31/2008 for $687.64 which was there regular price at the time. Then I found an eBay seller selling them for $599.00 and they price matched it with free shipping..

Just make sure your home to when they delivery it to examine everything. My first one the box was a little damaged and the top panel had a dent in it. I had to return it for another one.

Same thing happened when I purchased my hard shell Undercover tonneau before this one.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:05 AM
*Cough* ... we have a forum dedicated to this topic: https://www.f150online.com/forums/be...-tops-lids-32/

Rather than cluttering up this forum more than it already is, I'd ask a Mod to move yer thread for you

BTW - none of the above... get an ACCESS cover. They are forum sponsors as well....

BSB

Last edited by MGDfan; 11-29-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I know you already ordered a G2, but I just noticed amazon lowered the price of the undercover flex. It is now $719.10. I paid $784 back in March.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by tg150
That's not a bad price.. Congrats!

Just make sure your home to when they delivery it to examine everything. My first one the box was a little damaged and the top panel had a dent in it. I had to return it for another one.
It's coming to me at work so I'll be here, as far as pricing, AA offers a one year low price guarantee

Quick Reply: backflip vs roll-n-lock