2009 - 2014 F-150

Hi Guys...New Here...Another Remote Start Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys...New Here...Another Remote Start Question

I had to come join the fun. I've owned F-150s since 1982 but this my first Ford forum. As member of the Corvette Forum (put your FORD guns back in your holsters...) I have found that there are some very smart guys with great insight and advice in these forums on the vehicles.

OK, new 2014 F-150 Lariat with remote start and premium convenience package. As we all know the factory remote starter lacks range. I just had a Compustar installed. The range is off the charts 1/2 mile and through the brick walls where I work.

Problem: When I use the remote it does not activate the convenience package (heated seats, heated steering wheel, heated mirrors, defrost) all it does is start the engine and if, and only if I left the front defroster on does it defrost: everything else is cold.

Contacted Compustar, Bryce, said it should work with the factory electronics, to have the installer contact their tech team.

Went to the installer, told them what Compustar said. The installer said that there was no way for the remote starter to integrate with the factory convenience. That the only thing they could do is install a heat module that would let the heated mirrors and rear defrost come on when remote started and the interior temp is cold enough.

I replied back to Compustar with the installers solution, and asked them to contact my installer with a solution if there is one without chopping my harness into spaghetti.

I've read several thread on here, and I'm not seeing anything along these lines, if there is, please point me. If anyone has experience / advice / or know how (work around) please chime in.

Again Hello Everybody and its great to be here.
Boxcar

Old 12-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: had the module installed and now when I hit the remote start the heated mirrors and defrost come on based on cabin temperature. Been working fine. but, I still think that it can be done better. Because when the remote start is used the driver's seat moves to the memory (driving) position. I believe the remote start is just simply on the ignition wire instead of the remote start wire. The truck simply thinks the key has been inserted and starts.

It works, the truck is warmed, the windows and mirrors are clear...but I still think it can be done better. More to follow.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had a Viper kit put in, and all it does is start the vehicle. I have all manual controls so I have to remember to turn everything on prior to using it.

I can see where an aftermarket system won't control everything, they are after all supposed to be somewhat universal.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:29 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
The Viper is a top of the line remote start. It better be for what it costs.

Quick Reply: Hi Guys...New Here...Another Remote Start Question