2009 - 2014 F-150

Broken radiator fan blades after crossing the river

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken radiator fan blades after crossing the river

A couple weeks show to my parents a nice water watertail called El Salto. It's a nice waterfall located some 10 miles above of Cola de Caballo en El Cercado, N.L. MX. El Salto is is a beautiful place and only has water after heavy rain.

In order to get there, I have to cross some rivers with my FX4. I don't know why but the truck finished with the 2 radiators blades broken. The water has a deep of about 2-3 ft. Any idea way the fan blades broken?

I already order the fans, I'll appreciate if someone share the instructions for replace the fans.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:31 AM
I would imagine the impact of the rotating blades on the water caused a few of them to break off.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The water is also a whole lot heavier than air is. The fan trying to push water at just the tip put a lot of loading on the blade which was more than it could take. I would turn off your A/C before crossing this river again since that will turn one or both of your fans off.

I haven't seen a guide on removing the fans. I assume you start pulling things off until you can get them out. I would keep the A/C condenser and radiator lines connected so you don't have to refill those systems.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You're lucky that the fan blades simply broke off! Usually what happens is that they bend forward and eat the radiator! That's why you should NEVER rev the engine while fording a river. IF you must rev the engine to get through, then shut it off and remove the fan belts before entering the water and then replace them as soon as you leave the river. Don't worry, your engine won't over heat while driving through the river, the water will cool the radiator better than air flow ever would.

IMO anyone would be NUTS to take a modern computerized vehicle into the water! This is what I use for that kind of work.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:27 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Joe, I believe these are factory E-fans, not mechanical. Pulling the belt will do nothing.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Joe, I believe these are factory E-fans, not mechanical. Pulling the belt will do nothing.
If they're E-fans then even better! Just pull their fuse or wiring plug. Either way, he needs to shut down the fans before going into water. If they are E-fans then idling engine won't help. He'll have to disable the fans.

But as I mentioned before I won't take modern computerized vehicle into the water unless it was a matter of life or death. I expect that in anywhere from a few weeks up to perhaps a year or so from now, he'll have no end of electrical problems due to corroded electrical connections! YMMV.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:43 AM
I've always worried about the starter getting submerged. It's usually near the bottom of the engine and I can't imagine that's good for the starter to be totally submerged in water.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:26 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Art.

May want to consider changing yer diff fluids ASAP. 2-3 feet of water is probably gone and contaminated those fluids.

Yer efan/shroud assembly is held in place with a couple bolts and a couple brackets - it's really too simple for a how-to for removal, imho.

Refer to: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...ml#post5053765

You may want to ask our friendly Tasca rep if the individual fan components are available or if the entire assembly must be replaced. Should be under $200 USD or so fer the whole enchilada.

*EDIT* - ah, my bad, Art. I see now that you already ordered new parts, so the above is likely a moot point, lol.

More problematic is how to install an efan defeat switch for water fording on hthe OEM system. Brute-force method is to install a relay's N.C contacts ( a large one, given the draw these fans have ) inline with the fans' power harness, coil of which is controlled via an in-cab switch. Energize the relay before immersion, the contacts open, stopping the fans ( and probably triggering a nuisance CEL, lol).

good luck!

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-30-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:44 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Art.

May want to consider changing yer diff fluids ASAP. 2-3 feet of water is probably gone and contaminated those fluids.

Yer efan/shroud assembly is held in place with a couple bolts and a couple brackets - it's really too simple for a how-to for removal, imho.

Refer to: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...ml#post5053765

You may want to ask our friendly Tasca rep if the individual fan components are available or if the entire assembly must be replaced. Should be under $200 USD or so fer the whole enchilada.

More problematic is how to install an efan defeat switch for water fording on hthe OEM system. Brute-force method is to install a relay's N.C contacts ( a large one, given the draw these fans have ) inline with the fans' power harness, coil of which is controlled via an in-cab switch. Energize the relay before immersion, the contacts open, stopping the fans ( and probably triggering a nuisance CEL, lol).

good luck!
Really good post there, MGD. I concur 100%....

Old 10-31-2014, 01:59 AM
MGDFan Thanks for your suggestions, I agree, If I want to use my truck for cross the rivers, a cutoff relay it's a must. I think if I find the OEM relay, I can't insert a small relay in the coil of the OEM relay and avoid to control the hi current side.

I first check at Tasca as I always buy the parts there but this time I check Rock Auto and the OEM fan cost about $20-$40 less. As I did't saw only the blades I buy all the assembly, maybe I had to ask before make the purchase.

Change differential fluids are in my list of thinks to do.

Rockpick I agree with you great post from MGD.

Thanks all of you Lariat, Joe, Wookie and glc for your comments.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:37 AM
I just make the swap. It take me about 2.5 hours. I have to remove:

Fuse main box
Steering wheel deposit
Battery
Air Filter Box
Upper radiator hose
I wish I had the tool for take apart the fasteners. I did with a screwdriver and nose pliers but is not as easier.
The new radiator came without a hole for a fastener, examining the original, the hole is like made it as a last minute improvement. It is not made with a machine it looks like something hand made.

Quick Reply: Broken radiator fan blades after crossing the river