2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

FX4 Crew Cab vs Ext Cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FX4 Crew Cab vs Ext Cab

Have a quick question, been looking at a new 2014 FX4 extended cab, always had extended cab trucks but also was considering the crew cab for something different, but the sales guy says the 4 door truck drives different and is tougher to park, is this true? I've driven other 4 door trucks never noticed them really being different although they were chevy truck. Also any plus or minus yall prefer on 4door vs extended cab in regards to the FX4 model?

Any input would be great thanks!

Last edited by SuthrnFX4; 10-20-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like he's just trying to move a SuperCab truck instead of the SuperCrew...if you've driven trucks your whole life, parking a SCrew is no more difficult than any other big vehicle. I've driven my ex FIL's regular cab, my SuperCab and my brother's 04 SCrew and there's minimal difference between the Reg/SCab but no difference in the two bigger trucks.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Right I figured he is just trying to sell the one over the other. I don't really haul many people usually just my gf and I, so the crew cab wouldn't be totally necessary, however it would be a nice option to have additional comfortable seating for four. I guess the sales guy was basically saying the wheel base is different between the two, I thought they were the exact same only difference being the one having shorter bed and more passenger space.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:34 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Wheelbase
125.9" (6.5' box Regular Cab)
133.3" SVT Raptor (5.5' box SuperCab)
144.5" (5.5' box SuperCrew, 6.5' box SuperCab, 8.0' box Regular Cab)
145.2" SVT Raptor (5.5' box SuperCrew)
156.5" (6.5' box SuperCrew)
163.1" (8.0' box SuperCab)

Old 10-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with the Super Crew if you can. I have the Super Cab and it is really not comfortable for anybody at all to sit back there. Just more room for yourself is all it does.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:29 PM
it depends.

What were you discussing?
- SCREW 6.5' bed will drive a bit different than SCAB 6.5' bed.
- SCREW 5.5' bed will be the same as SCAB 6.5' bed

as you can see in GLC's numbers - the wheelbase doesn't change for the second option.

But for the first option the wheelbase is longer. I was surprised how much differently the SCREW 6.5' bed handled (vs my old 2004 SCAB 6.5' bed). The turning radius is larger and of course the truck is longer.

But after all the years of driving a truck I adjusted to the new size rather quickly. The first week or 2 it took me a little longer to back it into parking spots. (due to the larger turning radius)

Old 10-21-2014, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My crew cab is nothing much more than a grocery getter. I had 2 super cabs previous to buying this '09 FX4 new. One huge thing for me was opening the doors in a parking lot to load groceries. The super cab is a huge pain trying to get around the 2 open doors. Much better with the crew cab.

After owning it for 5.5 years now nobody has ever even sat in the back. But with the seats flipped up there is a huge cargo space there that is out of the weather, prying eyes, and locked up.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:58 PM
Honestly, it depends on your individual needs. I've owned both cab configurations, and when I bought my current truck I specifically sought out the extended cab. Traded a supercrew for it. The rear seat room in the supercrew is outstanding, but it was unnecessary for my particular needs. I have no kids, and my girlfriend and dog fit in the truck just fine. I actually prefer the extended cab because my dog can ride back there and I can reach back and pat him on the head with ease. I also prefer the overall look of an extended cab, 6.5' bed truck. Also, I don't buy vehicles to accommodate other people's leg room. To each his own.

There are other benefits to the smaller back seat. You save gas money when travelling with a group, because most people volunteer to drive because they don't want to be crammed in the small back seat

Admittedly, it took some getting used to when moving from a supercrew. The first few weeks I felt a little closed in when I'd look into the rear compartment. But I got used to it quickly. And the nice thing about extended cab trucks nowadays is the fact that the small half windows roll down. If they didn't, it would've been a deal breaker and I definitely would have gone with a supercrew.

As far as parking goes, it's no different than parking an other truck. I wouldn't even worry about that. Good luck with your choice

Old 10-23-2014, 10:16 AM
I drove extended cabs for many years. never got the "crew cab thing". Then, bambi decided to attempt to beat me across the road. Bambi lost. I was given a crew cab as a repair loner. Have never owned and extended cab since. Always crew cabs. they are a bit longer as I always get 6.5 ft beds, but the difference is easy to adapt to. I think the crew cabs have better resale value as well, but not sure on that. All i know is i now am a crew cab convert!!

BJ

Old 10-27-2014, 12:13 PM
I appreciate all the replies, I'm still on the fence between the two. I guess I wasn't sure if people thought the supercabs look dated since every ford truck I see on the road now appears to be a crew cab. Rarely do I haul anyone around so the crew cab wouldn't be completely necessary but it might be nice to have especially if I keep the truck a long time like I have with my previous chevys/gmcs. They were extended cabs tho, so guess some test driving a bit more will help me make the final decision.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Yeah the crew cabs are definitely dominating the market nowadays. But at least there are still plenty of options! I think I'm the only person who's glad Ford has retained the suicide door style extended cab. The tiny front-hinged doors everyone else does now are dumb.

If you have any doubts, go with the crew cab. I guess you could say it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Unless you're sure you will be happy with the extended cab years from now.

Last edited by JohnBoy88; 10-27-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Granted I have little to no experience with 2009+ Supercrews which are 6"s longer in cabin than the 2004/2008 models were, I did own a 2004 ext 6'5 and now have a 2007 crew 5'5. Both felt the same, the '07 has a shorter wheelbase by maybe 6"s but I could tell the first time I drove it that it was more easy. This makes it pretty much even for 2009+.

I also do not need the Supercrew, nor do I need a truck at all for that matter, but I love having it. The rear seat access is nice. It is nice to not have to open my door to let the occasional back seat rider out, especially in winter . I also enjoy the interior storage opportunity even though I don't use it much. I have a Leer hard tonneau and a bedrug bedliner so the bed is a giant trunk to me. I have no business owning a truck but I love having it there and tinkering with it. I could not ever see myself trying an ext cab again, just because of the mental downgrade factor. But you never know until the price is right what you choose. In my case, the extra cab room is nice to have even though I do nothing with it.

If I was to buy a newer truck, I would really like it to be a Supercrew 6'5. Granted it will be more of a boat than a '04/'08 Supercrew, the added cab space would be great to have, and a 6'5 bed is more functional. I would put a Bakflip cover or Trifold type so I can use the bed for hauling things, mulch, ATV, and the such.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:53 PM
I agree, Darren. The supercrew with the 6.5' bed is pretty sweet.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:28 PM
I was originally looking for an extended cab as I also felt I didn't need the Super Crew. When I saw how small the price difference was going to be at the dealer I bought from, I figured going with the Super Crew was a no brainer. I really don't need to extra room, but it is nice to have. Plus, around here at least, the Super Crews seem to hold value better. It was a bit of an adjustment for me, but my previous truck was a regular cab Nissan Hardbody, so any sort of full size truck was going to be an adjustment.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:55 PM
I went to a Supercrew after 4 regular cabs. It did take me a little bit of time to get used to the length. Although I absolutely love the look of a regular cab 4x4, I don't ever see myself getting rid of my Supercrew. I do wish I would have gotten the 6.5 bed though, but it was pretty much my dream truck other than the short bed. The room is crazy!

Good luck!

Quick Reply: FX4 Crew Cab vs Ext Cab