2009 - 2014 F-150

Rear defrost BS not covered by warranty???

Old 10-07-2014, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear defrost BS not covered by warranty???

Hey guys first time poster but long time lurker! I've always found the answers I was looking for on this site by searching but this one issue has my blood boiling a bit. I have the dreaded no rear defrost issue going on with my 2012 fx4 ecoboost. I bought the truck brand new a year and a half ago. The rig now has 60k kilometres on it now (about 37k miles for you yanks) and the rear defrost stopped working. I take it into the dealer and they say no warranty on this item and they want 600 bucks to replace the window!! Maybe it's me but it seems a little outrageous that a power window with a well known problem isn't covered under warranty. I thought the whole point of owning a new truck and spending big bucks initially is to avoid these problems for at least a few years! After all the searching I've done it seems most people had it fixed no problem under your standard new truck warranty. The truck has been pretty good so far and it's only been in for the ecoboost stutter/ wot hesitation and the awesome drivetrain clunk...

Old 10-07-2014, 09:32 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
You are off warranty anyway - it expired the minute you hit 60k kilometers.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
You are off warranty anyway - it expired the minute you hit 60k kilometers.

Not necessarily. Not if he took it in before he hit 60k and has the paperwork to back him up. Don't know where OP is and the warranty and rules are probably different than in the US. I would suggest OP contact Ford rep here on list and see if he can help. Otherwise look in the back of his owner's manual and see if they list a Ford customer service phone number of something like that. That worked for me when I had problems with Mitsubishi dealer.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:44 AM
My rear defroster also doesn't work.
I took it in to the dealer[march] when I was still in warranty and they said I scratched the grid so that's why it doesn't work.
I got some time last week and checked the grid lines and all were good.
I took it back to the dealer for a reinspect. Of course now I'm out of warranty .
After they re checked they say its in the glass but your out of warranty and glass isn't covered with an extended warranty.
After contacting Ford they agreed to replace the glass for 100.00.
Well I will be out a hundred for the dealers careless work , but it will be fixed. I'm not going to complain to Ford about the hundred but after its fixed I will vehemently tell the service writer what I think.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Mike - what year is your truck?

OP - Mine is a 2012 too. My rear defroster quit working awhile back but it was very quickly followed by a shattered rear window.
My guess is that the defrost shorted out and heated the window edge and shattered the window.

Ford covered it under warranty.

read here:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...dow-break.html

not sure if yours is related?

Old 10-10-2014, 07:40 AM
My truck is a 2011 Lariat.
Waiting for the dealer to get the window in for replacement.
My side heated mirrows weren't working in march either. They replaced some module in the center console for that .The side heated mirrows and rear window are on the same circuit.That's why they were so quick to blame me for scratching the rear window and not looking into it farther. I assume when the rear window went out it took the module with it which stopped heating the mirrows .
Mike

Old 10-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Sorry for the late reply guys but I just went on a sheep hunt so I've been in the back country for a few days. I have to look through my paper work but I thought the warranty was a 5 year 100k??? That would be soooo crappy if it was only 60k as I just hit 61000. The little light on the switch doesn't even turn on so I should check the fuses myself even though the ford techs said I need a whole new window...

Old 10-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Full bumper to bumper warranty is 3 yr 36k miles
Factory extended powertrain warranty is 5/60

Optional additional coverages are available

Old 10-10-2014, 11:32 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
In Canada, the bumper to bumper is 60k km and the powertrain is 100k km.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rear window defroster not working on my 2012 King Ranch either...

Old 10-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockpick
Rear window defroster not working on my 2012 King Ranch either...
How many miles are on your truck, Rockpick? Have you mentioned the issue with your defroster to the dealership?

Crystal

Old 10-20-2014, 02:46 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by FordService
How many miles are on your truck, Rockpick? Have you mentioned the issue with your defroster to the dealership?

Crystal
35,000 on the ODO.

I've set up an appointment for later this week with the dealership. I am inside of my bumper to bumper so, I don't expect a problem with correcting the problem.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockpick
35,000 on the ODO.

I've set up an appointment for later this week with the dealership. I am inside of my bumper to bumper so, I don't expect a problem with correcting the problem.
Good deal, Rockpick. Let me know how the appointment goes; I'll be here if you need me to step in and assist.

Crystal

Old 10-21-2014, 10:37 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by FordService
Good deal, Rockpick. Let me know how the appointment goes; I'll be here if you need me to step in and assist.

Crystal
I appreciate it, Crystal. I have a short list of items I'd like to see corrected... I hope none of them are a battle. I kind of dread taking it in...

Old 10-22-2014, 06:11 AM
Just curious. For those of you that have a broken rear defroster with the sliding power window...do you actually use the window? (open it now and then, or even often)

I only opened mine a few times just to try it but I never use it otherwise because I'm afraid I'll forge to close it ;-) Anyway, hopefully if I don't open the window, the defroster will continue to work forever.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear defrost BS not covered by warranty???