2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear defrost BS not covered by warranty???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use my slider often. That probably brought the defroster failure on sooner. Even though my truck is still under warranty, I will not be getting the window fixed because I don't want to risk more damage/ leaks. Bad, bad design in the sense of the limited longevity and complexity of repair.

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Old 10-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lariatf150
Just curious. For those of you that have a broken rear defroster with the sliding power window...do you actually use the window? (open it now and then, or even often)

I only opened mine a few times just to try it but I never use it otherwise because I'm afraid I'll forge to close it ;-) Anyway, hopefully if I don't open the window, the defroster will continue to work forever.
I use mine absolutely all the time...

Old 10-22-2014, 09:21 PM
I'm thinking of trying to bypass the bad window with a jumper wire. I would really like for the mirrors on my 09 to defrost. The light on the dash comes on. Window and mirrors do NOTHING.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:43 AM
I have the same problem as you!! But this time it's my second sliding window. But now we have to replace the roof liner because of the window seals and the carpet and whatever else they find... But who cares about that my dealership are getting it done. But what I'm pist about is since 2009 I've gotten hoop with this problem the first time it was the brake light leaking had to replace the liner then. Then I by a other new pickup in 2014 and there we go again this time two windows and liners in 11/2 years......WTF when is Ford going to say anoff is anoff and quite trying to make the dealers deal with it... Come on I don't care what anyone bays it's all the same but at the price we pay you'd think that it wouldn't happen so much. And be done with the same little problems right!! I just feel for the people that are not always been taken care of properly by the manufacturer that pay good money for cars and trucks and whatever you drive. Just quit bragging that your the best and always have dumb **** recalled all the time...

Old 01-30-2016, 04:52 AM
Know I hardly ever used the rear window. I don't care for it but it was with my truck when I bought it new. I told them the first time that it quit take it out and but a won piece in..... They said nope because of the model has that window....

Old 02-02-2016, 03:11 PM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by Steve72
Know I hardly ever used the rear window. I don't care for it but it was with my truck when I bought it new. I told them the first time that it quit take it out and but a won piece in..... They said nope because of the model has that window....
Hey Steve72,

Is your F-150 still at the dealership, or has it been repaired and returned? What's its model year and current odometer reading?

Nick

Old 02-02-2016, 03:24 PM
He Nick . Yes I just got my pickup truck back. And they did a great job with it replacing the window liner and tint. My pickup is a late 2013 f150 lariat.. It's loaded 4x4 4 door and I have 48.000 km not miles you can figure it out lol . But it not the first window in that it's number two. I'm hoping that is it.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:43 AM
Yes I got my pickup truck back and everything is all good for now!!!!

Old 02-06-2016, 11:02 AM
I have the same issue as all the others on here, but I'm out of warranty and i'm not paying the dealership for Fords screwup. If I can't fix it by cleaning the contacts, I have comprehensive insurance with full glass coverage. If you catch my drift.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4ever
I have the same issue as all the others on here, but I'm out of warranty and i'm not paying the dealership for Fords screwup. If I can't fix it by cleaning the contacts, I have comprehensive insurance with full glass coverage. If you catch my drift.

"i'm not paying the dealership for Fords screwup."

But you'll let your insurance company pay for Ford's screwup. Nice! [sarcasm off] If you think this is Ford's screw up then you should force them to fix it, what ever it takes.

FYI I am SO glad that I didn't buy an opening rear window on my F-150!! I previously had a Nissan truck with a sliding, non-power, rear window and I never had a moments trouble with it. Why can't ford manage to manage a trouble free window? With as many complaints as there are regarding this problem, it's clear that this is a design and/or manufacturing problem with Ford. IF they were a reputable company, they'd admit that and deal with the problem instead of BS'ing their customers and telling them that it's not covered under warranty!

Ford reps feel free to jump in here and give us a straight story;;; for a change!

Old 02-08-2016, 10:04 AM
If u can find what grid or grids are shorted out u can buy the silver paint to fix it at most auto parts stores. It's easy. I make the 2015 and 2016 F150 back glass. And the 2016 f250 back glass.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:31 PM
Ford Customer Service
Originally Posted by Steve72
Yes I got my pickup truck back and everything is all good for now!!!!
Happy to hear it!

Meagan

Old 02-19-2016, 12:54 PM
Rear glass

I'm in US and warranty is only 3 yrs - 36,000. I have 45,000 so out of warranty. Didn't buy extended, but that likely wouldn't have covered it either. I do use/like the slider. Not sure how it would get scratched. Have one on a Toyota 4 Runner. Works flawlessly at 100,000.

Sounds like it may be poor quality construction on the glass. Other than that, the only repair was a battery replacement under warranty. Guess I'll live without the heated glass.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:11 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BANDY -- it's unfortunate but, this is certainly an issue that has been discussed frequently here (and elsewhere) across the web.... best of luck.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just took mine in this morning... first thing out of the service reps mouth, known issue, no recall, not covered under my Ford ESP. So glad I spent extra money on the premium coverage for it to not cover my truck when it breaks. And looking at the wording for the Premium Care, it lists "Heated Back Glass - Electrical only, not glass damage or breakage". So, I guess that needs to be clarified...??????

Last edited by Krohbar; 12-19-2016 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear defrost BS not covered by warranty???