2009 - 2014 F-150

2012 XL mirrors melting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 XL mirrors melting?

I did a light search but found nothing, and can't believe I'm the only one with this problem. Both side mirrors on my 2012 XL work truck are melting on the tops and getting worse by the day. They're opening up at the joint, and now they're starting to pull away from the doors at the tip of the triangle piece that butts the door.

This truck has 25K on it.....not that it should matter. Before I post pictures and take up everyone's time, does anyone know of such an issue? My dealer has had the request denied by Ford three separate times, twice on appeal.

This is crazy.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimco
I did a light search but found nothing, and can't believe I'm the only one with this problem. Both side mirrors on my 2012 XL work truck are melting on the tops and getting worse by the day. They're opening up at the joint, and now they're starting to pull away from the doors at the tip of the triangle piece that butts the door.

This truck has 25K on it.....not that it should matter. Before I post pictures and take up everyone's time, does anyone know of such an issue? My dealer has had the request denied by Ford three separate times, twice on appeal.

This is crazy.
post the pics! I want to see this..

Wonder why Ford would deny the warranty?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:50 PM
It's been a while since I've been here.....trying to figure out how to post pictures. If this is one of the sites that won't let me attach straight out of my computer I may be in trouble.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:09 PM
These are the beginning first documented in November 2013 left side only......I'll take some of the current status now on both sides!

Old 09-22-2014, 07:15 PM

Wtf . . .

Old 09-22-2014, 07:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Wtf . . .
X2, Thats Crazy

Old 09-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Today's version. Note the pivot point also melting and raised up.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:48 PM

They must use cheaper materials on the XL mirrors, like the old XL mirrors, or you have a very "unique" set. I've never seen anything like that.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:36 PM
Don't believe everything you read online!
if they were "melting" then the plastic would be drooping down - not sticking up!

Looks to me like someone smashed both mirrors, replaced the trim, and then tried to get the rest replaced under warranty.
(which is probably why they rejected the claim)

If they are "melting" then what is generating the heat????

Old 09-23-2014, 02:47 PM
This part was most likely molded incorrectly. When parts are injection molded with too low of a mold cavity temperature, the resulting part has induced stresses. When the black mirror sits under the late summer sun it gets hot, probably approaching it's glass transition temperature allowing the stresses to relax - in other words, it appears as though it is "melting" when in reality it just returning to an unstressed state because of heat from the sun.

If I was a betting man, I'd guess there's some type of support boss molded right under that deformed area. This is definitely a Ford supplier issue, and should be replaced under warranty.

Mike

Old 09-23-2014, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by F150XLT2009
This part was most likely molded incorrectly. When parts are injection molded with too low of a mold cavity temperature, the resulting part has induced stresses. When the black mirror sits under the late summer sun it gets hot, probably approaching it's glass transition temperature allowing the stresses to relax - in other words, it appears as though it is "melting" when in reality it just returning to an unstressed state because of heat from the sun.

If I was a betting man, I'd guess there's some type of support boss molded right under that deformed area. This is definitely a Ford supplier issue, and should be replaced under warranty.

Mike
Gotta be something chemical like that Mike. Anyone with half a brain in their head can look at these and see the issue is not from any physical damage. Everything is smooth just as "heated" plastic looks. If they were damaged externally there would be all kinds of rough edges around.

Since Ford has sold boatloads of these trucks with these mirrors, unless someone played a joke with an eyedropper full of secret sauce during the injection process, how can this truck be the only one with this issue?

By the way......this started long before the Summer heat came around.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by F150XLT2009

Mike
Actually if the part is molded with too cold of a tool then it is likely to have shut-off issues (where the plastic solidifies before it reaches the end of the tool. This would lead to issues at the far corners of the part, not at the center.

But what would I know. Apparently I only have half a brain.

But even with my 1/2 a brain I was able to notice that the damage to the extension arm is in the exact place that you would expect to see it if someone hit the mirrors on something (like backing into a narrow garage door opening).

The mirrors fold in (back) but not forward - right?
But I'm guessing the OP already figured this out.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by mkosu04
Don't believe everything you read online!
if they were "melting" then the plastic would be drooping down - not sticking up!

Looks to me like someone smashed both mirrors, replaced the trim, and then tried to get the rest replaced under warranty.
(which is probably why they rejected the claim)

If they are "melting" then what is generating the heat????
Not melting, but warping from heat. Don't be rude.

Having just removed my own mirror caps a few days ago, there's no way the damage on these mirrors, with how they're bent, was caused by someone replacing/removing these pieces.

Give the guy the benefit of the doubt instead of accusing him of something.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 09-24-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
Actually if the part is molded with too cold of a tool then it is likely to have shut-off issues (where the plastic solidifies before it reaches the end of the tool. This would lead to issues at the far corners of the part, not at the center.

But what would I know. Apparently I only have half a brain.

But even with my 1/2 a brain I was able to notice that the damage to the extension arm is in the exact place that you would expect to see it if someone hit the mirrors on something (like backing into a narrow garage door opening).

The mirrors fold in (back) but not forward - right?
But I'm guessing the OP already figured this out.
Process issues (such as mold temp, cooling rates, etc.) have the ability to cause residual stresses in the part - there's no debating that. I've witnessed it first hand - it can do some really wacky things to parts upon ejection from the tool or even long term as we're seeing here.

Do some reading on residual stresses and "creep" and it will all start to make sense.

Like I said before - the original poster should definitely stay on top of Ford until these are replaced.... there's no excuse for poor QC.

Mike

Old 09-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimco
Gotta be something chemical like that Mike. Anyone with half a brain in their head can look at these and see the issue is not from any physical damage. Everything is smooth just as "heated" plastic looks. If they were damaged externally there would be all kinds of rough edges around.

Since Ford has sold boatloads of these trucks with these mirrors, unless someone played a joke with an eyedropper full of secret sauce during the injection process, how can this truck be the only one with this issue?

By the way......this started long before the Summer heat came around.
Hey Jimco,

I'll gladly look into this for you. Shoot me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number.

Nick

Quick Reply: 2012 XL mirrors melting?