2009 - 2014 F-150

2012 XL mirrors melting?

Old 10-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw a story online within the past year where some car owners were complaining about melting parts on their car and it turned out that reflective windows on an office building were shining a beam off light on the cars at a certain time of day and heating them up like a magnifying glass would. I wonder if this is a possibility, assuming it's truly heat damage?

Check it out:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-23930675

Old 10-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by lariatf150
I saw a story online within the past year where some car owners were complaining about melting parts on their car and it turned out that reflective windows on an office building were shining a beam off light on the cars at a certain time of day and heating them up like a magnifying glass would. I wonder if this is a possibility, assuming it's truly heat damage?

Check it out:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-23930675
Check post #19 in this thread

Old 10-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the continued thoughts here guys. I bought the truck for an employee at the time who was only in the truck for a short time before we let him go in June 2013.....I've been the sole and only driver since. No child or dog has ever ridden in the truck, and it doesn't have heated or turn signal mirrors. Nothing has ever hit the mirrors, evidenced by the complete lack of a scratch on either of them and I've never used any mirror extensions on them. We've discussed the glass window thing.

Any other thoughts? Nick says he sees the case closed with Ford, but I'm still going to pursue them.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Warping Mirrors and side panels

We have the same issue. Brand new F150. Bought in June. Started noticing the warping as early as August. Not only is the mirror warped and pulling away from the truck but the trim panel between the doors are warping as well. The panels are held on with double stick tape (that in itself is ridiculous for an almost $50,000 vehicle!).
Galpin Ford and Ford, Michigan have denied the responsibility for repair. Truck has 3300 miles - yes, that's correct, 3300 miles.
Tell me in what universe this makes sense????

Also - has only been parked in our driveway and we do not have "high efficiency windows" or "reflective windows" in our house!

Last edited by DJMJHO; 12-09-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Seems like you have only the second truck in the world with this issue.

You mention Galpin Ford.....is that where you bought your truck and/or are you near their location? I have yet to continue my pursuit of Ford but my plastic is getting worse so I will. If you've been taking this up with Galpin, would you mind sending me a PM with your name and VIN so I can compare notes with Leonard Arsanos there?

Old 12-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DJMJHO
We have the same issue. Brand new F150. Bought in June. Started noticing the warping as early as August. Not only is the mirror warped and pulling...
Welcome to the forum, DJMJHO; I want to see what I can do to help. To get started, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get to work.

Crystal

Old 12-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, DJMJHO; I want to see what I can do to help. To get started, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get to work.

Crystal
Hi Crystal,
I just realized you had replied here. I don't know how to PM in this forum. Can you PM me? And I can reply? Or tell me how to do it.
Thanks!

Old 12-15-2014, 11:19 AM
DJMJHO - can you post some pictures of your issues like I have?

Old 12-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Hi Crystal,
I just realized you had replied here. I don't know how to PM in this forum. Can you PM me? And I can reply?...
Sure thing, DJMJHO; a PM is waiting for you in your inbox.

Crystal

Old 12-19-2014, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Jimco
DJMJHO - can you post some pictures of your issues like I have?
I'm thinking you saw the pictures I posted by now. We've been dealing with Mike Tone at Galpin.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:49 AM
Galpin Ford fixed our mirror and side panel! So grateful! Don't know if it was the new service manager or Mike Tone going to bat for us or the service survey that I filled out online, but whatever the reason, they heard our plea and fixed our truck!

Old 01-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Galpin Ford fixed our mirror and side panel! So grateful! Don't know if it was the new service manager or Mike Tone going to bat for us or the service survey that I filled out online, but whatever the reason, they heard our plea and fixed our truck!
Awesome news, DJMJHO; I'm glad they took care of you! If you'd like me to document your feedback about this experience, just PM your full name, best daytime phone number, dealer info, and any specifics you'd like me to include. I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Old 04-08-2015, 12:31 PM
Sorry I haven't seen your response, but glad there was some resolution from Galpin. With this information I'm going to tackle them with my F150 today, because now the side panels are melting as well! My regular advisor knows Mike Tone so I'm going to look him up as well, but since they deal with so many trucks it may help them to target your specific warranty claim if I had your VIN. Not sure when you'll see this, but do you mind giving it to me via PM or probably better email to Jim@CORElectric.net?

Thank you.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Same

I am a Sales Manager at a Ford dealer and just saw a 2012 non heated mirror with the same issue and even worse. Anyone found a cause and solution yet?

Old 02-23-2017, 01:43 PM
The problematic truck we had began same all over again with the new pieces Galpin installed. I sold it complete with all paperwork including the documents on the replacement. Still entirely bewildered how a handful of trucks with the same issue can be the only ones out of thousands produced. Sadly I'm afraid many do have the issue and are just driving around with it out of warranty.

I love Ford and Ford Trucks and always have, but this just pisses me off. This is chemical not magic. Ford fully knows all about it and why it happened, just like the roof drains leaking on my Wife's $70K Audi.

I'll never buy another vehicle without a factory written bumper to bumper warranty for 75K minimum. I'll forever sell any such vehicle before the warranty expires.

I feel fortunate that we can do this, but I'm just pissed that I have to no matter if I have the resources or not.

In the end, I'm having a difficult time "accepting" the evolution of today's existence.

I'll make it through, but worry about those behind me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 XL mirrors melting?