2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

miles to empty faulty

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile miles to empty faulty

I have a 2012 f150 with an eco boost. Since new the miles to empty reading does not always reduce in miles, sometimes it will jump up 40 to 80 miles and start declining from there. My gas gauge needle seems to work ok. My Ford dealer has tried a lot of things to remedy the problem but to no avail, they said they are done trying and that I should contact Ford customer relations center. Has anyone else heard of this problem?

Old 09-22-2014, 02:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I've never looked at miles to empty. I never want to go below 1/4 tank so I just watch the gauge and fill up. I use the trip meter to keep up with miles per gallon.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Give our Ford Rep here a try to see if the can resolve the issue =)

Old 09-22-2014, 05:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bottlemanpt
I have a 2012 f150 with an eco boost. Since new the miles to empty reading does not always reduce in miles, sometimes it will jump up 40 to 80 miles and start declining from there. My gas gauge needle seems to work ok. My Ford dealer has tried a lot of things to remedy the problem but to no avail, they said they are done trying and that I should contact Ford customer relations center. Has anyone else heard of this problem?
Are you resetting the Average MPG's during the tank of gas? If so that makes since as to why.. Lets say if the computer thinks you are getting 15mpg and you reset it and its now showing 20mpg then it would add miles to empty.

Also if you are doing city driving, then doing highway your mpg should go with your distance till empty.. Once back in town and fuel mileage goes down then miles to empty will go down..

Does you gallons used on the trip meter seem to be somewhat right when you fill up?

Old 09-22-2014, 09:26 PM
King Ranch Coy

Thanks, I know what you are talking about. My MTE fluctuates all the time as I am driving it, Not normal.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Excerpted from the 2012 F-150 owner's manual ...
MILES (km) TO E

This displays an estimate of approximately how far you can drive with the fuel remaining in your tank under normal driving conditions. Remember to turn the ignition off when refueling to allow this feature to correctly detect the added fuel.

Distance to empty is calculated using a running average fuel economy, which is based on your recent driving history of 500 miles (800 km). This value is not the same as the average fuel economy display. The running average fuel economy is re-initialized to a factory default value if the battery is disconnected.
Like ALL of the control module calculated information regarding fuel usage ... It's NOT gospel nor always accurate.

(owner's manual) Don't have one ?
Owner's Manuals ««« -click-
» Select Your Year [ Choose One ]
» Select Your Make [ Choose One ]
» Select Your Model [ Choose One ]
»

Old 09-22-2014, 11:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Happens to me when parked on an incline (like my driveway) and let the truck idle for a few. The DTE will go down exactly as you describe (along with the needle), then correct itself after driving for a short bit. Only notice it when the fuel level is low. If this describes you, it's normal behavior.

Much better than my sister's '99 Explorer. If parked facing downhill at a fair angle with less than 1/4 tank of gas, she has less than two minutes to start driving or it dies. The only remedy is to add a few gallons of gas, or jack the front of it up so the fuel can slosh back to the center section of the tank. She lives in the mountains.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:07 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EsJayEs
Much better than my sister's '99 Explorer. If parked facing downhill at a fair angle with less than 1/4 tank of gas, she has less than two minutes to start driving or it dies. The only remedy is to add a few gallons of gas, or jack the front of it up so the fuel can slosh back to the center section of the tank. She lives in the mountains.
Yup, we had a 01 Explorer that would do that also.. Finally after the 4th time it happened i told the wife to back in.. 2nd time she backed in she took out the side of the carport

Old 09-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
.. 2nd time she backed in she took out the side of the carport
Oh God

Old 09-24-2014, 08:57 AM
Wink

Mine does it as well. I usually see the difference from when I do local traveling, and then longer trips. I notice it most when I take my trips out to West Virginia. Because I go thru various degrees of elevation along the 265 mile trip, the trucks fuel mileage changes. For instance, on my way out the first 90 miles or so are mostly all flat. Running an average of 60-65mph I get about 18.5-20 mpg depending on conditions. My distance to E on a Fill Up might be, for example, something like 545 miles. Once I get into the mountains my gas mileage might drop to 13-15 mpg maybe? So then the miles to E start to drop a lot quicker. Then when I get back to somewhat level ground and my MPG rises, and so does the Miles to E reading. And sometimes it will go way past what it was reading in the mountains. Sometimes as much as a 40-50 mile difference, if I remember right? I usually Zero out both my "A" and "B" trip monitors at fill up. I use "A" for the tank full, I use "B" as a per trip. I zero both out when I take the trip to WV.. As I travel I'll check the difference in the reading between the miles to E, and the miles traveled in the trip monitors. You would think that if you traveled 50 miles, then the miles to E would then also drop 50 miles. But the miles to E fluctuates up and down. Once I'm in West Virginia and check the numbers, the Trip monitor mileage readings almost never match up with the miles I ate up on the miles to E indicator. That's my experience any way. I figured because my gas mileage was changing along the trip that the miles to E would change accordingly.

I just took a quick look at a few of my photos I take along the way of the readouts. On a trip I took on June 6th of last year, the readings looked like this:
at 10:31 AM, odo reads 37,617 miles, DTE is 414 miles.
at 10:41 AM, odo reads 37,627 miles, DTE is 444 miles.
at 11:35 AM, odo reads 37,676 miles, DTE is 449 miles.

Last edited by Scarlet; 09-24-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:03 PM
It's going to vary depending on your current driving style. Let say you are driving along towing a trailer at 70mph: your DTE will be calculating and updating based on mpg of that situation (10mpg for example). You then drop the trailer and head out on an empty highway with 55mph speed limit (20mpg for example). The truck will update the DTE to show the new driving conditions. Depending on how much change there is in the fuel consumption, and how often the system updates its calculation, you will always see variance. The more steady your driving style, the more accurate the system can be.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:56 AM
mine is different

Thanks to all who replied, I understand everything you all said when this first started happening.
What mine does is jump up in Miles to empty when driving on the same highway at the same speed all the time. so my driving is very consistent.
The miles will read for example, 200 MTE then jump up to 282 MTE, then 100 to 203 MTE. My MTE goes up instead of down. After my low fuel indicator comes on and I know by my trip meter that I only have a few gallons left in the tank it can say 150 miles to empty for example.

Quick Reply: miles to empty faulty