2009 - 2014 F-150

Door Keyless Entry Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Keyless Entry Help!!!

Hello all,

So I bought a used 2011 F-150 XLT Ecoboost 1 month ago from a non-Ford dealer. My understanding is that the truck originally came with, and is supposed to have keyless entry on the door handle. I say supposed to because when I bought the truck it did not have the keyless entry on the door handle, instead, it had an aftermarked wireless keyless entry which was stuck/glued onto the drivers door above the door handle, not built into the door handle how they usually are. The problem is the dealership I bought it from didn't have the code and there was no way to get a hold of the previous owner to obtain the code. Additionally, there was no way for the dealer to read the code off that wireless aftermarket one.

So, I then started exploring in the truck. The wierd thing is, the keyless entry module is in my truck down by the fuse box on the passenger side, and the white sticker with the code is on there. Also, the manual has the key code card there, and the wiring harness for the keyless entry door handle is in the driver's door.

So, I purchased a new OEM f-150 door handle with the keyless entry code buttons on Ebay from a Ford dealer, me and a friend installed it in my truck and plugged it in. The buttons light up on the keypad, so I know there is power going to it, however pressing the 7.8 9.0 buttons does not lock the truck and the factory code is not unlocking the truck.

Is there another step that has to be done for it to work? I thought it would be as easy as plugging it in and it would work. Does it have to be programmed at the Ford dealer or something?

Thanks for your help everyone.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, read the manual. The new keyless entry module has to be programmed into the module. By the way the "glued on" module that was on the door was most likely the Ford accessory keyboard, I have one on mine and it works fine. It also has to be programmed to the module. Your nearest dealer has the instructions, probably in the parts department.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:33 AM
ok thanks. i went to two dealerships asking about the glued on one before i bought the handle one and they said there is no way for them to get the code ..its a specific process to program that wireless one to the truck and you can only do it once apparently ..thats what they told me anyways..plus id rather have the hard wired one in case the battery goes out on the wireless one then im screwed. thanks for the reply!

Old 08-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stick-on can be programmed many times........and the battery will last for MANY years.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:19 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Was the code on the sticker and the code on the card the same code?

When you tried the code, did any buttons light up indicating a decent battery still?

Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
Yes, read the manual. The new keyless entry module has to be programmed into the module. By the way the "glued on" module that was on the door was most likely the Ford accessory keyboard, I have one on mine and it works fine. It also has to be programmed to the module. Your nearest dealer has the instructions, probably in the parts department.
Yep ..... bought one and installed on our 2008 Mustang that didn't have it ..... except I installed it on inner side of gas filler door. It has a code from FoMoCo and you can program your own custom code ..... but FoMoCo code is always in it. Has to be programmed just like a key fob control alongside all other key fob controls you may have at same time so all work and it can be re-programmed again if you obtain more key fob controlers. You could even get two, mount one on pass side for the "other half" and enter same custom code in each or code hers to match yours ..... if you wanted to.

Also came with a new FoMoCo card to go in owners packet. I found a thread once on how to change the battery in these stick on pads and saved it.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...ry-change.html
I was thinking it was on a Mustang forum ..... I see it's on this one!

Batteries should last a few years depending on how much it's used, temps, etc.

also see:
http://www.ehow.com/way_5729584_ford...placement.html

Last edited by tbear853; 08-30-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:41 AM
Yes the code on the sticker located on the keyless entry module inside the truck was the same code as the one on the card in the owners manual.

When I press buttons on the wired one (built in the door handle) the keys light up. When I hit the buttons on the wireless glued one, I dont think they lit up, but I know the wireless one had battery because when I hit the 7.8 9.0 buttons the doors would lock.

Quick Reply: Door Keyless Entry Help!!!