2009 - 2014 F-150

Sliding Rear Window defog contacts

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BEW119
My truck is going in Thursday, rear def switch works intermittently, afraid the rear window will blow out.
You sure on that ? A bad grid will shut down the entire circuit, turn the switch LED off and side mirrors defrost as well.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Maverick 15
You sure on that ? A bad grid will shut down the entire circuit, turn the switch LED off and side mirrors defrost as well.
I would be concerned about it.

As the contacts wear and present a higher resistance, that may create a local hot spot. Given the right (wrong?) conditions, that stress could shatter the glass. There's a lot of power available to that rear defroster.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...I have a case filed with Ford customer care. This needs to be covered 100% by Ford.
Send over your case number in a PM, Maverick 15; I'll check it out and see what I can do to assist.

My truck is going in Thursday, rear def switch works intermittently, afraid the rear window will blow out.
I'm glad you're getting this addressed by your dealer, BEW119. What's the current mileage on your truck? Come back and tell me how things go at your appointment.

Crystal

Old 11-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by FordService
Send over your case number in a PM, Maverick 15; I'll check it out and see what I can do to assist.

Crystal

Hello Crystal,
I have sent you over a private message with my case #. Please let me know how you are able to assist in this matter.
Thank you.
Tom

Old 11-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Hello Crystal,
I have sent you over a private message with my case #. Please let me know how you are able to assist in this matter.
Thank you.
Tom
Thanks for reaching out, Tom! I just received your message and sent you a reply.

Crystal

Old 11-18-2015, 01:01 PM
Update...

Update: My dealer has confirmed that the bad contacts are causing the inoperative defroster and the solution is to replace the rear window. The plan is to have a new window installed the first week in December. No info on whether this is a "revised" design.

My dealer and I have discussed, and agreed upon, the cost-sharing for this repair, and although not "free", I'm OK with the result. They have always provided great service and accommodated special cases over the past 20 years.

Regardless of this issue, I'm still really enjoying the truck and I'll post an update after the repair is complete.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by 012XLT50
...My dealer and I have discussed, and agreed upon, the cost-sharing for this repair, and although not "free", I'm OK with the result. They have always provided great service and accommodated special cases over the past 20 years...
It sounds like you have an excellent dealership, 012XLT50. I'll document your feedback about them and make sure they get a digital pat on the back. To get started, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, dealer info, and any specifics about your experience that you'd like to include.

Crystal

Old 11-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Update: My dealer has confirmed that the bad contacts are causing the inoperative defroster and the solution is to replace the rear window. The plan is to have a new window installed the first week in December. No info on whether this is a "revised" design.

My dealer and I have discussed, and agreed upon, the cost-sharing for this repair, and although not "free", I'm OK with the result. They have always provided great service and accommodated special cases over the past 20 years.

Regardless of this issue, I'm still really enjoying the truck and I'll post an update after the repair is complete.
I am having a very hard time paying for a window that is faulty by design. I took impeccable care of my truck and this terrible engineering failure is going to have me out of pocket considerably and there is very little concern from Ford that I have to cover these costs so that I can safely drive and see out the mirrors and rear window. People at Ford want to "understand" but that is just a word they are throwing around loosely when this repair cost is of no fault of mine and a grid in a rear view should only go out if I or something damaged it but this thing just self imploded. Ridiculous!

Old 11-19-2015, 09:36 AM
Follow up, took my truck in today, they will replace the rear window and covered on extended warranty. May have it back tomorrow or Saturday.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:16 AM
Follow up, took my truck in today, they will replace the rear window and covered on extended warranty. May have it back tomorrow or Saturday.
I'm glad you'll be back behind the wheel of your truck soon, BEW119! Let us know when you bring it home.

Crystal

Old 11-19-2015, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
Add me to the list of non-working defrosters. Where are the contacts located on the glass? I still have 2k left on my extended warranty but would rather keep the $100 deductible in my pocket. Is the new glass better than the old design?
Many of the occupants in the rear of these trucks are infants and toddlers....nice to see Ford's concern in this arena.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:32 PM
Window replaced and everything working fine. Really can't see the difference but for those interested the part #DL3Z-15422B30-F for the replacement.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Repair completed.

UPDATE:

I picked up the truck last Thursday. All seems to be working well, the defrost button lights up and the slider still slides. The dealer did a good job at the replacement, it was quick and no "mistakes". The new window looks the same as the previous window.

Will likely have opportunity for some heavy defrost usage in the upcoming weeks, and I plan to exercise it fully.

012XLt50

Old 12-09-2015, 09:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2013 had the window replaced in August 2015 wouldn't even turn on

Old 12-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
***UPDATE***

Went to clean the inside of my windows and hidden behind the headrest was a hand print on the inside of the window. Tried using an industrial strength windex and it would not take it off, then I tried using straight rubbing alcohol and no go either. It's almost as if the print was baked on. I eventually got it off by using a dry kitchen scouring pad. Word of advice, make sure the window is thoroughly clean before you start using the defrost.

Quick Reply: Sliding Rear Window defog contacts