2009 - 2014 F-150

I thought oil changes were easy...

Old 07-27-2014, 08:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought oil changes were easy...

Until I changed the oil on my 13 F150 Ecoboost....

I'm 50 years old and have been changing oil in vehicles since my Dad would let me sometime in my "tweens"... You do the math..

This thing was the WORST vehicle of all times to change the oil in... I did the first change at 2800 miles from the dealer (free oil change coupon).. They over filled it by 1 full QT and who knows if they even changed it at all... Ok, there was some oil residue under the filter, so I'm pretty sure they did it...

I'm now at 6500 miles and decided to change the oil myself.. Got me the correct $6 MC filter from Walmart and they only had MC Semi Syn 5W20 oil on the shelf, so I picked up my usual make and 5W30 oil I've been using for many years.. (it did cost $10 more than the MC 5 QT jug)

I've checked out the underside of the rig before doing this and did find it totally stupid.. But, decided I'd try it anyway..

Figured out that the big cover comes off with little effort and that lets you get to the oil pan drain..

Since day one, I could see the oil filter from the top, but didn't see any access from below, but saw that there was also an access point to get out of the way and at least reach up and grab the filter...

Read some posts about how the filter has a "tray" to direct the oil from removing the filter either to the "front or the back" depending on how it's sitting and even read about how others have had the same issues I ultimately had.... (totally stained my driveway with oil)

Well, I warmed the engine up and even thou it's a 4x4, I can't get under it like I could with my 97 4x4 F150 , so I put my ramps out on the driveway and kept it as level as I could and started to do a simple oil change..

DAMN...

It was hot out, so I took a lot of breaks to drink a beer or two and CUSS the HELL out of this thing...

It's a good thing I don't have very big muscles on my arms, as that was the only way I was able to get to the filter to remove it.. The access from the bottom was not going to happen..

Maybe I'm a total dufas and don't have a clue on these 21st Century rigs, but DAMN...

I finally did get the filter off and the new one on, but DAMN....

So, there is my story and I'll let you guys tell me how much of a dufas I am and how you didn't spill a drop of oil and take it...

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 07-27-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way I found to reach the filter from below without raising it up is to lay on your back sideways in front of the truck with your feet sticking out towards the driver's side...then reach up in there with your left hand. It's a pain compared to the previous generation with the 5.4, but I think after a few changes I'll be pretty good at the process without jacking it at all. I installed the Fumoto drain valve too....so no more drain plug to remove and spray all over the truck under there.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Oh yeah, I didn't put the the stupid cover back on under it either... What the heck does that thing do anyway?? I see that's it's really clean on the trans pan and the oil pan, but that thing has got to keep a lot of heat under there?? Don't you want the heat to dissipate from the air flow under the truck??

Anyway, I forgot to mention that I burned my forearm on the exhaust pipe and it's pissing my off with the pain still... Gonna leave a good mark for sure!

I love this truck and this is just my first attempt at the oil change and I hope I learn from it, and next time I'll have a 10x10 tarp under it as it's diaper so I don't stain my driveway anymore than it already is!

So, does that cover really need to be there, or is it just something I need to keep, but don't need to worry about having it in place??

Mitch

Old 07-27-2014, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
Until I changed the oil on my 13 F150 Ecoboost....

I'm 50 years old and have been changing oil in vehicles since my Dad would let me sometime in my "tweens"... You do the math..

This thing was the WORST vehicle of all times to change the oil in... I did the first change at 2800 miles from the dealer (free oil change coupon).. They over filled it by 1 full QT and who knows if they even changed it at all... Ok, there was some oil residue under the filter, so I'm pretty sure they did it...

I'm now at 6500 miles and decided to change the oil myself.. Got me the correct $6 MC filter from Walmart and they only had MC Semi Syn 5W20 oil on the shelf, so I picked up my usual make and 5W30 oil I've been using for many years.. (it did cost $10 more than the MC 5 QT jug)

I've checked out the underside of the rig before doing this and did find it totally stupid.. But, decided I'd try it anyway..

Figured out that the big cover comes off with little effort and that lets you get to the oil pan drain..

Since day one, I could see the oil filter from the top, but didn't see any access from below, but saw that there was also an access point to get out of the way and at least reach up and grab the filter...

Read some posts about how the filter has a "tray" to direct the oil from removing the filter either to the "front or the back" depending on how it's sitting and even read about how others have had the same issues I ultimately had.... (totally stained my driveway with oil)

Well, I warmed the engine up and even thou it's a 4x4, I can't get under it like I could with my 97 4x4 F150 , so I put my ramps out on the driveway and kept it as level as I could and started to do a simple oil change..

DAMN...

It was hot out, so I took a lot of breaks to drink a beer or two and CUSS the HELL out of this thing...

It's a good thing I don't have very big muscles on my arms, as that was the only way I was able to get to the filter to remove it.. The access from the bottom was not going to happen..

Maybe I'm a total dufas and don't have a clue on these 21st Century rigs, but DAMN...

I finally did get the filter off and the new one on, but DAMN....

So, there is my story and I'll let you guys tell me how much of a dufas I am and how you didn't spill a drop of oil and take it...

Mitch
This is why mine goes to the dealership . I have read the same thing as you experienced and decided its going to the dealership everytime.. My patience isnt the best anyway.

I use to change the oil on all my vehicles but by the time i buy the oil and filter its about the same cost as the dealership.

Another reason i go to the dealership is they will have all the records in their little computer so if maintenance is ever a concern they can see what all has been done on the truck.

Better luck next time

Old 07-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mitch, that cover is just a splash guard, but I have also been told it helps with the air flow underneath the truck. Mine flew off the other day because those stupid twist on fasteners fell out. I thought of leaving it off, because I'm sure it's not absolutely necessary, but I ended up putting it back up with extruded u-nuts and locking flange bolts. I think it's dumb because the thing seems so fragile, but every little bit helps, right?

Old 07-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2 post lift in my garage so oil changes are easy peasy.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 PM
King, I tried the dealer and they screwed the pooch on it... Well, at least not to my liking and who the hell knows what they put in the thing?? It's supposed to be 5w30, but how much of that do they have around?? My bet is it's the 5w20 they have been pushing for the last 10 years... (I never went to it on my 97, even though they said it would be "fine"... )

Nassty, well, that would be my preference too! When that Lotto comes thru and I can get the shop of my dreams, that'll be the first thing I get!

Johnboy, I don't know if I'm going to put it back on or not.. Right now, it's going to stay off and I'll see what happens..

I trust no one at this point and the last 6500 miles have always had me wondering what the hell is in the crank case and at least now I KNOW what it's got in it now!

Sure, it cost me some time, beer and a burned forearm, but I'm better learned now and hope I do better next time!

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 07-28-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:32 AM
ha... been there, done that (except the burn part)

https://www.f150online.com/forums/5094093-post29.html

Try installing a fumoto valve... it makes draining the oil easier.
As for the oil filter - just have lots of cardboard and rags ready and it prevents most of the mess.

And you should re-install the covers. They are there for reducing air drag and increasing MPGs.
(Ford wouldn't pay for them unless they really helped)

Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Howdy, Mitch!

Gotta admit....I was readin' yer rant. Lol! Sorry, bud. I've been there, done that so many times (with other equally frustrating projects) that I know yer exact level of frustration and downright pissed-offness.

I got up'n inunner mine the other day a-lookin' 'round to see what obstacles lie in wait fer me. A few of y'all know I'm a boner-fide Sasquatch. So, that said, I reckon I'll be lettin' the dealer do all my erl changes fer me.

I definitely prefer doin' it meseff, but I swear I don't think I can get me tree trunk arms in there!

Old 07-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The covers are for aerodynamics and help to smooth out the airflow under the truck and reduce drag. You won’t see a huge difference without them but they do help a little bit. They also help to quiet down the noise from the turbos since Ford assumed that people would not want to hear them spool.

The trick to getting to the oil filter is to look at the rubber piece that closes out the radiator support to front cross member. On the left (driver’s) side there are 3-4 white clips in place of the normal black “christmas tree” type clips that are used to hold the rubber seal in place. These clips are ¼ turns and popping them off drops the seal out of the way and gives you easy access to the area where the oil filter is. Depending on how big you are and 4x2 vs 4x4 you might need to slide under the truck more parallel to the front bumper to get your body in place to reach the filter since it is a little ways back in there. The front air dam hangs down fairly low and that is what makes it harder to get under these trucks compared to the older body styles. If the truck is level or nose down all of the oil will drop straight down or into the catch pan that is on top of the front axle. If it is nose up the oil will leak out the back of the catch pan and make a mess of your driveway.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Thanks Wookie, I do remember reading that and when I had it on the ramps on the drive way (with the *** end in the garage), it was "almost" level...

But, there is a lot to be said about reading what to do and actually doing it, so now that I've done it and experienced ALL the pitfalls of this procedure, the reading part makes a lot of sense now!

I'll park down a bit farther on the drive way to get it so I can still crawl under there and have it nose down a bit.

I'll look into getting that F valve and just figure out the filter with the various suggestions give so far.

Put a tarp under the truck..

I'm going to put the cover back on, as I did notice a bit more "road noise" from it and it seems that it should probably be in place..

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Mitch

Old 07-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by DewserB
A few of y'all know I'm a boner-fide Sasquatch.
I'm not a homophobe, but I think you meant to say "bonafide"

y'all know I'm a boner
Hmm I might have to make a new sig quote

Old 07-28-2014, 01:39 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by Patman
I'm not a homophobe, but I think you meant to say "bonafide"

Hmm I might have to make a new sig quote
Got-dangit!!

*checking my back fer a bullseye*

Ol' Patrick been findin' homosecky stuff in might-near half my posts lately.

Methinks thou doest protest too much.

Awwww....Patman's gotta man-crush on the ol' Dewser...

Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Ol' Patrick been findin' homosecky stuff in might-near half my posts lately.
I think I might have to change your screen name to "tendencies"

Old 07-30-2014, 06:02 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by Patman
I think I might have to change your screen name to "tendencies"
Only if you change yers to Pat McCrotch.

Maybe Pat<3Men?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I thought oil changes were easy...