2009 - 2014 F-150

Upper Ball Joints 2009

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upper Ball Joints 2009

Just had my state inspection done today - state inspection is annual in Penna.

Passenger side upper ball joint bad at 47K miles. Had the driver side go bad at 38K miles (just out of warranty).

Is this a known problem for this series F-150? Mine is an Fx4 crew cab with 20" factory wheels.

My truck is bone stock - have never touched anything. I just find it kind of weird that both these ball joints went bad so early. Can I look forward to these $240 bills every 30K or so miles? Heck I am still on the factory tires and brakes!

Old 04-23-2014, 09:39 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
No, not if you use quality aftermarket greaseable replacement parts (Moog).

Old 04-23-2014, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory ball joints tend not to last too long. 35-60k is about average with some people stretching them out to around 80k. Biggest flaw is they aren't greasable, greasable ones when maintained can last a whole lot longer than the oem ones. As for length of how long until you replace them again, it depends on the quality of the ones you went with and other factors like driving style, maintence of them, and your alignment.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
Factory ball joints tend not to last too long. 35-60k is about average with some people stretching them out to around 80k. Biggest flaw is they aren't greasable, greasable ones when maintained can last a whole lot longer than the oem ones. As for length of how long until you replace them again, it depends on the quality of the ones you went with and other factors like driving style, maintence of them, and your alignment.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by glc
No, not if you use quality aftermarket greaseable replacement parts (Moog).
The first one on the driver side was done by a local mechanic. I told him I wanted the best he could get and it was a Moog which is greasable. This time I was at the local dealer who just used the factory replacement part. But, the Ford dealer guarentees their parts with labor for as long as I own the vehicle. I plan on keeping this one forever so the next one on that side won't cost me anything.

Factory ball joints tend not to last too long. 35-60k is about average with some people stretching them out to around 80k. Biggest flaw is they aren't greasable, greasable ones when maintained can last a whole lot longer than the oem ones. As for length of how long until you replace them again, it depends on the quality of the ones you went with and other factors like driving style, maintenance of them, and your alignment.
Well it's good in a way to hear that. It just took me by surprise that these ball joints don't last as long as the factory brakes and tires.

I am thinking these are wearing so quickly because of the roads around here. I'm in the boonies and the roads (paved) are rough and have lots of ruts in them. As you go down the road your truck or car is constantly pitching back and forth and you are constantly re-correcting. I guess if I was on interstate type roads all the time they would last a lot longer.

After 5 years of ownership, this is the only thing I've had to have replaced. Not so bad I guess.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by stormtech
Just had my state inspection done today - state inspection is annual in Penna.

Passenger side upper ball joint bad at 47K miles. Had the driver side go bad at 38K miles (just out of warranty).

Is this a known problem for this series F-150? Mine is an Fx4 crew cab with 20" factory wheels.

My truck is bone stock - have never touched anything. I just find it kind of weird that both these ball joints went bad so early. Can I look forward to these $240 bills every 30K or so miles? Heck I am still on the factory tires and brakes!
You had no driveability issues prior to the inspections?

Last edited by Blue07STX; 04-24-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Is your truck "leveled"?

Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
You had no driveability issues prior to the inspections?
None whatsoever both times. Even after the replacement I feel no difference at all.

Originally Posted by Casey05
Is your truck "leveled"?
No. The truck is bone stock except for a tonneau cover and bed liner.

Both times I was told the ball joints have wear/movement beyond the rated spec. I just did a search but can't find the specific measurement. This is a requirement for Pennsylvania state inspection.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Factory ball joints tend not to last too long. 35-60k is about average with some people stretching them out to around 80k.
Mine lasted almost 180k miles...

Old 04-24-2014, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by stormtech
Both times I was told the ball joints have wear/movement beyond the rated spec. I just did a search but can't find the specific measurement. This is a requirement for Pennsylvania state inspection.
Wonder how they check said specs... Hmm I live in PA and around here they don't check much before slapping the sticker on the vehicle.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by 05FordGuyFX4
Wonder how they check said specs... Hmm I live in PA and around here they don't check much before slapping the sticker on the vehicle.
I watched the local guy do it. He raises the front of the truck so the front tire is ~2" off the floor. Then takes a pry bar under the tire and lifts up on it. Real easy to see any movement in the ball joints that way. If need be he will then measure the amount the ball joint moves.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:54 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
the Ford dealer guarentees their parts with labor for as long as I own the vehicle.
Are you sure? The standard Ford dealer warranty for customer-paid repairs is 12 months or 12k miles.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Are you sure? The standard Ford dealer warranty for customer-paid repairs is 12 months or 12k miles.
After looking around a bit, I guess I read the poster wrong in the waiting room. It is 24 months and unlimited miles for all Ford parts weather dealer installed or not. This includes parts and labor.

http://corporate.ford.com/owner-serv...d%3Dsuggested1

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...parts-warranty

Quick Reply: Upper Ball Joints 2009