2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alarm triggering randomly.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alarm triggering randomly.

The alarm on my truck has started going off randomly. Each time, it's sitting on a level surface and the keys are sitting on a flat surface, (not sitting in a pocket and accidentally hitting the panic button). It can go a long time without instances, maybe a week or so. Then it will go off multiple times in a few hours.

I don't know how often it goes off since I'm not within earshot of the parking lot at work. A few times, I've gotten into it after work and it gave me a low battery warning. It is possible that the alarm was going off for hours, draining the battery.

I had an aftermarket remote start put in when the truck was new, well over a year ago, but the alarm has only started going off within the last month or so. It could be related but I think it would have presented the problem much sooner after the install if it was done incorrectly.

The only other change I've made to the adding a JBL MS-8 but that should have no effect. It just takes a lead off the battery and taps into the four speaker wires.

I am looking for opinions. Is there anything I can check myself before seeking professional help? Should I take it back to the remote start installer to check the install or should I book it at the dealership first. I worry that the dealer will blame it on the remote starter anyway and bill me hundreds for diagnostics.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:55 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Call your installer, tell him what's happening, and see what he says.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^ What he said.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will call the installer. I'm not sure how that's going to go. Last time I talked with them, all but one installer at that place were let go. It looks like they are getting out of the install business so I will find out if they still care about last year's installs.

Quick Reply: Alarm triggering randomly.