2009 - 2014 F-150

Replacement key help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 01:18 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Right, but he doesn't have 2 original keys or one original and one self-programmed key. He has one original and one cloned key, that may be the difference.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me try and clear some of these recent replies up.

A programmed key is a programmed key, Ford or aftermarket. The chip in the key emits a set frequency. When you program the key to the vehicle it's set to accept that frequency as an authorized key. The vehicle can't differentiate if that's a factory key or not.

You only need to cycle two programmed keys to add an additional key, not all programmed keys.

I still think the key you are trying to add is either the wrong key for your vehicle or it's defective.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:32 AM

You dont think its bc my 2nd key is a cloned key?

Old 09-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by speedstang
You dont think its bc my 2nd key is a cloned key?
Not from my experience. I've been a Ford salesman for 26 years and have programmed many keys. I've never had an issue adding a 3rd key when one of the existing two keys is not a Ford key. I even asked our lead service tech about your issue and he had the same idea, that the new key is wrong or defective.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:48 AM

And im pretty sure im doing it right n have tried different amounts of time for leaving keys in, switching keys, etc

Old 09-12-2013, 09:49 AM

Ok. Any recomendations on where to get a cheap 1 to try it again? Ebay or not. If ebay i would rather try a differenr seller n if next 1 works then get my money back for other 1.

Thanks

Old 09-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Ok. Any recomendations on where to get a cheap 1 to try it again? Ebay or not. If ebay i would rather try a differenr seller n if next 1 works then get my money back for other 1.

Thanks
I'd make a couple calls to local hardware stores or maybe even Walmart to see if anyone local has cheap pats keys. Buy the key from them and just program it yourself. If you can't find it cheap local look for a seller on ebay that has good feedback ratings and buy another cheap one on there.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:02 PM
glc
How does the vehicle computer differentiate between inserting a DIFFERENT key from simply trying to reinsert the first key? That's why I'm questioning the clone.

See what I'm trying to say? You may have to get whatever key you try to use programmed out of the vehicle.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't wrap my head around how they "cloned" the key. I have never seen a hardware store do this, so I'm missing a slice of the pie. Do they remove the chipset from the original key, and somehow plug it into a diagnostic machine? Can someone who has had this done, please explain what exactly the hardware store does, or the theory behind the technology?

Would another option beto bury the original, (or "clone") key inside the steering column near the ignition, and any cut key will work? Or does the key need to be somehow energized from the ignition to emit whatever signal it offers to allow the truck to start?

I have no answers, just questions,

Old 09-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by glc
How does the vehicle computer differentiate between inserting a DIFFERENT key from simply trying to reinsert the first key? That's why I'm questioning the clone.

See what I'm trying to say? You may have to get whatever key you try to use programmed out of the vehicle.
Each PATS key emits a specific frequency. When you program the key to the vehicle you're just telling the computer to accepts that individual key's frequency.

So weather it's a "Ford" key or an aftermarket key the vehicle has no idea. The vehicle just knows when it picks up an authorized signal from a PATS key that it allows the vehicle to start.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:57 AM

True value has there own keys. They cut it n put it in a machine next to my other key n sumhow it programs it.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:00 PM
glc
True value has there own keys. They cut it n put it in a machine next to my other key n sumhow it programs it.
So - that tells me that the True Value key might be on the SAME frequency as the Ford key - the computer accepts it for starting the vehicle but sees it as the SAME key as the Ford key............

Old 09-13-2013, 02:04 PM

That is what im thinking

Old 09-13-2013, 10:28 PM

You didn't have to program that key from the hardware store in the truck right, ....it came that way. So it doesn't make sense that the truck still recognizes 3 admin keys unless the prior owner had 3 already programmed and lost 2 of them.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:35 PM

Thats a possibilty too. Wish i would have checked the in-car computer b4 i got the true value. Didnt know bout checking the computer at the time though.

Quick Reply: Replacement key help!