Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hill Descent Control Fault HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi 03Fx4JD,

I checked out the third printing of your Owner's Manual and found these instructions on page 240:

Press and release the hill descent button located on the instrument panel.

Keep in mind you can download a free digital copy of your Owner's Manual here: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...h-results.html

Crystal
Yep, I used the button on the dash, above the radio to disable it.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:58 PM
I don't have that button so my truck must not be equipped with that function. Other than what happens when you turn on the tow/haul mode. Which activated hill decent control of it's own... which is what I want to disable.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:35 AM
Ok, it's been about a month since I changed my steering gear and the fault has not shown up since.
Thanks again Ford for this truly amazing design engineering fubar.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by DaveInMn
It happened to me a few days ago after I had gone through a car wash. I disabled it and drove around some more. Engaged it again about an hour later and it was ok.

Something must have got wet during the car wash and triggered a sensor. Will have to wait and see if it re-occurs.

Well, it started randomly happening again....almost daily.

A couple of days ago, I took it to my closest dealer and they were able to pull some "suspicious" codes, but not enough to justify the repair. The tech kept testing it (slowly going forward, then backing up) and was finally able to get it to occur. I've got an appointment tomorrow to get the steering column assembly replaced. The repair also requires that a front-end alignment be done.

I'll report back in a few days on how everything goes....

Old 06-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by DaveInMn
Well, it started randomly happening again....almost daily.

A couple of days ago, I took it to my closest dealer and they were able to pull some "suspicious" codes, but not enough to justify the repair. The tech kept testing it (slowly going forward, then backing up) and was finally able to get it to occur. I've got an appointment tomorrow to get the steering column assembly replaced. The repair also requires that a front-end alignment be done.

I'll report back in a few days on how everything goes....
I took it in and in about 2-1/2 hours it was done. I've put on about 30 miles since then and it seems fixed. Life is good again!

Old 10-18-2016, 08:59 PM
Hill Descent/Trac Warning/Wrench Light

My 2013 F-150 FX4 V6 Ecoboost has had problem since 40K and now at 82K. Typically happens when towing boat or some weight in truck (2-4 people and luggage/football tail gate supplies) and starting up incline. Hill Descent/Wrench/Trac Warning Light come on and after a minute or so the truck starts running bad and whistling. Pull off side of road and turn off engine and restart and everything fine for another 100-200 miles (this also clears any error codes in computer module which further complicates trouble shooting). I've been to local Ford Dealer at least 8 times (w/wo warning lights) and they have replaced MAP Sensor, ABS Module, Turbo Boost Sensor, Reprogram module, Wiring Harness to boost sensor and Throttle body. I'm going to insist we hook up a flight recorder next to capture errors when thye occur. Not sure if transmission has temp sensor, but mechanic I know says might be problem. Any one else experience any thing similar with fix?

Old 11-27-2018, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, NANUK! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. Have you brought your truck to the dealership so they can check this out? If you'd like, I'll get this on the radar of your regional customer service manager. Just PM me your details, including your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership - leave the rest to me.

Crystal
Hey!

If you still work for Ford or somebody has taken over this user account, I could use some help getting with service. My normal dealer has gone downhill and I think they are blackballing me for reporting them to Ford CS. That's what happens when you refuse to fix a customer's truck IMHO. Anyway...similar issue, and don't have time for a runaround from dealer service!

Thanks

Old 11-27-2018, 09:04 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
We haven't heard from Crystal or anyone else from Ford Service for at least a couple years now. You may have luck pinging them on Twitter.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:45 PM
Join the Party!

Originally Posted by Lpd531
2013 XLT 5.0 Crew. 130 Miles on the OD

I am getting the Hill Descent Control Fault pop up on the dash. It seems to happen when it rains. When I shut the truck off. it goes away but comes back on usually when i drive again.

brought to dealer. they ran a check on the diagnostics and found a fault. cleared it was good for a few days now its back. Anyone have any info on this. Raptors seem to have the issue but I cant find anything with an XLT. Any info I could give to the dealer would be great.
if you explore all of the F150 Forums you will soon find out that FORD has a real design flaw causing this problem on EcoBoosts. It has nothing to do with model or year. Dealers have been replacing throttle bodies to fix the problem. I wrote my check today. I am not sure the new TB’s have a design change or not. Can you imagine your engine stopping while passing?

Old 01-13-2019, 05:31 PM
I’m having the same issue, what did the dealer say was your problem?

Old 01-13-2019, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by kdtaylor
I've been getting this problem intermittently since November. I start my truck, it runs REALLY rough, and either shows the wrench icon, or says 'hill descent control fault." The truck either dies, or I turn it off. When I turn it back on, no problem. Have run the vehicle health report many times, it always say "service required." I take it to the shop, sometimes they can get it to repeat the message, sometimes they can't. When they have gotten it, they tried replacing the throttle body. Hasn't fixed it yet. Dropping it off today so they can try and figure it out while I'm out of town for 3 weeks. VERY frustrated to pay $50k for a truck that has this annoying, albeit transient problem. Has anyone gotten a definitive fix for this?

My truck is a 2013 F150 FX4,
I’m have the same issue, what did the dealer say your problem was?

Old 01-13-2019, 07:19 PM
Response

Originally Posted by Travis Day
I’m have the same issue, what did the dealer say your problem was?
They replaced the Throttle Body. It wasn’t covered under the emissions warranty even though idled much smoother and mpg improved. It’ll cost you a $500 bill.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by owenskp

They replaced the Throttle Body. It wasn’t covered under the emissions warranty even though idled much smoother and mpg improved. It’ll cost you a $500 bill.

Did your hill decent control light come on, right before it started running rough?

Old 01-14-2019, 04:03 PM
Hill descent control

Yes along with several other lights.... it really lit up. Then it went into limp mode. I backed out of traffic and turned it off and then turned it back on and it ran fine. I took it into dealer in the next week before it happened again.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by owenskp
Yes along with several other lights.... it really lit up. Then it went into limp mode. I backed out of traffic and turned it off and then turned it back on and it ran fine. I took it into dealer in the next week before it happened again.
Did the throttle body replacement fix the problem?

Quick Reply: Hill Descent Control Fault HELP!!