Best reverse light bulbs - F150online Forums

Go Back   > >
Log In 

2009 - 2014 F-150

Best reverse light bulbs

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Cuz Cuz is offline
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas
Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150
Posts: 861
Best reverse light bulbs

I just traded in my 06 for a 13 and the reverse lights are not very bright at all! I did this "mod" to my 06 but that was many moons ago. . What bulbs are y'all using now? I don't need a "beam" as much as I need just a good clear bright light.
Thanks for any suggestions!





PS: For all the search police, I did search it but was hoping for more and more current opinions.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-18-2013, 03:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 2013 FORD
Posts: 210
im using LED packs from www.v-leds.com

they have a couple different models, / color temps.

they made a huge difference, also you have to make sure the light is not 'picked up' by the backup camera if its equipped with one. I thought about one of their license plate backup lights, however im thinking I might need a cover, or the use of an L bracket above that so the camera is not affected..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-19-2013, 02:04 AM
Cuz Cuz is offline
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas
Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150
Posts: 861
ttt
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-19-2013, 02:06 AM
Cuz Cuz is offline
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas
Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by BETCHER78 View Post
im using LED packs from www.v-leds.com

they have a couple different models, / color temps.

they made a huge difference, also you have to make sure the light is not 'picked up' by the backup camera if its equipped with one. I thought about one of their license plate backup lights, however im thinking I might need a cover, or the use of an L bracket above that so the camera is not affected..
Do you have the backup cam on your tailgate? Do the newer brighter lights make a big blur on your backup screen?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-19-2013, 02:08 AM
Bluejay's Avatar
Global Moderator &
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Burleson/Athens/Brownsboro, TX
Vehicle: 2014 Ford F150, 5.0
Posts: 24,624
88racing sent me a pair of bulbs that made a big difference with my 2011. I don't recall what they were but if he does not post, send him a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2013, 08:34 AM
88racing's Avatar
Technical Article Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In the fast lane from LA to Tokyo...
Vehicle: 2013 ACURA TL
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejay View Post
88racing sent me a pair of bulbs that made a big difference with my 2011. I don't recall what they were but if he does not post, send him a PM.
these....

www.auotlumination.com

cree 12 watt 921 bulbs
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-19-2013, 08:35 AM
88racing's Avatar
Technical Article Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In the fast lane from LA to Tokyo...
Vehicle: 2013 ACURA TL
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
I just traded in my 06 for a 13 and the reverse lights are not very bright at all! I did this "mod" to my 06 but that was many moons ago. . What bulbs are y'all using now? I don't need a "beam" as much as I need just a good clear bright light.
Thanks for any suggestions!





PS: For all the search police, I did search it but was hoping for more and more current opinions.
ya .....you searched....

link>>>Suggestions for rear back up lights and HID fog lights up front?<<<<good suggestions in this thread

Last edited by 88racing; 05-19-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 2013 FORD
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
Do you have the backup cam on your tailgate? Do the newer brighter lights make a big blur on your backup screen?
Thanks
I do have the backup cam. they don't affect it much. the times I do have it happen is when im backing out of my drive way. neighbors fence is right on the prop line, and my siding is white. brake lights are also high output V3's in the top and 21 led versions in the bottom. so the reflection of those on the one side- off siding does put a little glare. but normal situations , no problems.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
Posts: 2,582
I just have SilverStars in mine. While they were brighter, I still went with auxillary back up lights.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wilmington, NC
Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
Posts: 139
I also have the Silverstars. Alot better than stock and Im not paying $30 for reverse lights. Even though I backup in the dark every morning at work.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Cuz Cuz is offline
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas
Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88racing View Post
ya .....you searched....

link>>>Suggestions for rear back up lights and HID fog lights up front?<<<<good suggestions in this thread
There's the forum police! . I did actually look through that whole thread but it went off more towards the under body backup lights and fogs. Not really replacement bulbs per say.
Thanks though.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-20-2013, 02:48 AM
Cuz Cuz is offline
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas
Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150
Posts: 861
ttt
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-20-2013, 09:49 AM
88racing's Avatar
Technical Article Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In the fast lane from LA to Tokyo...
Vehicle: 2013 ACURA TL
Posts: 10,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
There's the forum police! . I did actually look through that whole thread but it went off more towards the under body backup lights and fogs. Not really replacement bulbs per say.
Thanks though.
I ain't busting yer chops over an attempted search....imo

if ya want more light that's yer best bet is to put a set of fogs under the bumper...

another way is the hid kit but I'd highly recommend a relay timer so the ballasts don't fire every time reverse is passed on the gear shift selector....a lot of jeep and hondas have gone this route...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Cuz Cuz is offline
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas
Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88racing View Post
I ain't busting yer chops over an attempted search....imo

if ya want more light that's yer best bet is to put a set of fogs under the bumper...

another way is the hid kit but I'd highly recommend a relay timer so the ballasts don't fire every time reverse is passed on the gear shift selector....a lot of jeep and hondas have gone this route...
Gotcha. And what happens IF they light up every time I pass the reverse gear? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Vehicle: 2007 Ford F150
Posts: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
Gotcha. And what happens IF they light up every time I pass the reverse gear? Thanks
They will not last very long.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 fx4 13fx4tx Introduction Forum 9 05-18-2016 05:44 PM
My low 5.0 Big Red 5.0 Street Scene 6 02-27-2016 06:38 PM
Couple PAC msfrd1 wiring questions aviduser 2009 - 2014 F-150 1 08-12-2015 01:07 AM
2011 OEM Parts twillroth Parts & Accessories For Sale (2009 - 2014) 0 07-24-2015 10:26 PM
High Mount (3rd) Brake Light BlueOvalFitter 2004 - 2008 F-150 14 07-16-2015 02:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 PM.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Fordé is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company