2009 - 2014 F-150

2009 fx4 power issues HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 fx4 power issues HELP!!!

I've got a 2009f150 fx4. I put new door speakers and 2 12 inch subs but left the stock head unit. I also put in hella fog lights in it. If I leave my stereo turned up for 15 mins it shuts it off and the fog lights do the same thing to get them back on you have to power them down for a min then turn them back on and they will stay on for 5 mins then shut back off same with the stereo. Someone please help me it's driving me insane

Old 05-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Probably pulling to much voltage for the stock fuses, you could try upgrading fuses but you risk frying your wiring. Best thing to do would be to take it to the dealership, if you fry wiring that will be expensive.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:36 PM
I don't know much about wiring hate it to be exact but it it was drawing wouldn't it blow the fuse or just shut it off? Cause I thought it would blow the fuse in that case but I don't know maybe you can shed some light on my confusing. Also I read something once about a black box that reads if it is drawing to much voltage for so long it shuts it down but I don't know how truthful that is someone help my baby is sick lol

Old 05-21-2013, 07:11 PM
the SJB or smart junction box is what controls just about everything in the vehicle. - relating to power/accys ect.

leave the lights on too long, doors don't open- lights shut off.
leave the doors open too long, running boards if equipped stay down, and dome lights shut off.. ect

leave the radio on too long, key not on - after it was running - it shuts off.

leave the radio on- key in accy mode. and radio will shut off. there might be a way to adjust this in the PCM, using a FORD - Panasonic tough book programmer, but that I would not know.

im hoping the subs- their amp is wired directly to battery with inline fuse?

running that with the parking/fogs on without the vehicle being started/running , everything would turn off before the amp would, most newer / quality amps will also monitor voltage and shut down.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 AM
Thanks betcher and yes the subs and speakers are hooked to the amp which is direct with an inline fuse but I have a RCA converter that hooks to my factory head unit to adapt it for the speakers and subs, any idea on someone who would know about overriding this smart junction box?

Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 AM
there area a couple ford master techs in the town I live in. im sure I could ask one of them. however I would be careful in not running battery down to the point where the truck wont start..

I had a 2009, now a 2013,, had the radio on the other day. with key in accy position, about 25 mins and the radio displayed it was shutting down due to low battery power. power meter on my radar detector showed battery voltage was around 11.1v

Old 05-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Take it to a dealership and ask? I am sure you are not the first person to come across this issue.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:16 PM
I don't plan on doing anything electrical else to it except led head lights just would like to be able to use my lights and listen to the radio while I'm going down the road and if you could ask betcher it would be greatly appreciated. And prime I have asked a dealer awhile back and I got the stupid look and haven't had a chance to go anywhere else with it. Thank you both for all your help it is greatly appreciated

Old 05-22-2013, 04:38 PM
ahhh. your driving when its doing this.. didn't pick up on that.
I will have to think on that a bit. but I will still ask around.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Yeah this is while I'm driving running down the road lol I had hids in it but they would do the same thing which is a little shifty driving at night with no lights lol

Old 05-22-2013, 05:04 PM
I also know quite a few people who have put hids in to with the alt. relay to the battery and they still will shut off after so long which Is why I think it might be the sjb reading that its to much voltage

Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the Hella fog lamps, how are these installed ?
- Using the factory fog lamp connectors, or isolated 100% to the battery with a new fused connection ?

the Headunit question ( and I have to ask, I am not an audio person ) what you added, is is going to increase the draw on the factory HU ?
- sounds like it would to me, if you are powering the subs from the factory HU, just want to confirm.

The 2009 was the 1st MY for adding FETs & Micro controlled circuits that turn on and off depending on the function.
- the FET is what makes your turn signals flash or be brake lamps at the rear of the truck now, it is the not part of the MFS.

The factory fog lamp connectors is direct to the fog lamp relay which is now non serviceable ( built into the SJB ). If a larger load is used on the factory fog lamp relay, it could cause issues with the contacts, meaning the only way to fix it is to replace the SJB.

By any chance did you disturb the grounds to the SJB when you did the mods ?
- both of the items uses micro control for power, seems strange

Any other modifications to the truck aside from the fog lamps & Audio changes ?

BTW : using the factory headlamp bulb connector to trigger a relay direct to the battery is not too much power on the circuit, it would be too little as in burnt out bulb
Battery / charging system wise it should be less than halogen bulbs for current draw.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:18 AM
Sccully I'm not quite sure on the fog lamps not the stock wiring for factory but I don't think it's direct to battery either they were on it when I bought the truck as far as the head unit I don't know what would be causing it to trip because it runs to a converter that is hooked up to my amp powering all speakers, tweeters, and subs but since the stereo was installed its been doing it but its not the amp powering down. Ill look more into the fog lights tomorrow and see what they are powered by and I have checked grounds everything I saw was tight and all good as I could tell. I wanna do more to the truck but don't want it not to work right. I'd also like to say before I get told to quite messing it up all the work was done by credible shops lol

Old 05-23-2013, 07:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How is the AMP wired to the truck ?
- Is there a new distribution block with fuses under the hood ?

anything else in the power system ?
- Powercell cap, etc

What is the "converter" that the HU is hooked up to ?

You are going to have to pull the head unit to see what modifications were done to the wiring behind, it to know what else is going on.

Have you taken it back to the shop that did the install, and asked them what is going on with the setup ?

The fog lamps, the 100% isolated is to the battery via a relay and a new switch installed ( or factory switch triggering the relay )

Last edited by SSCULLY; 05-23-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:55 PM
The converter is a RCA converter the amp is wired direct to the battery with an inline fuse. The fog lamps are triggered by the factory switch. And I'm going to take it back to the shop I work 7 days a week 12 hour days waiting till I get some time off and get back in town to take it to them and no there's no power cell or distribution block that I know of or see

Quick Reply: 2009 fx4 power issues HELP!!!