2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2011 Dome/Courtesy light issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 01:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Arrow

joe51 - Somebody needs to figure out how these "dealer-only" features work and build a box to DIY. Probably just a simple message send over Can-bus.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gDMJoe
Thanks for the link! Have you tried this one out yet? How much support is there for it from users? Will it read both the Hi speed and Medium speed busses that Ford use? I've been looking at CAN bus interfaces this afternoon. I found a German made one called CAN BASIC on Youtube that looks pretty good but I haven't found a price or a place to order it from. E-bay has plenty of inexpensive interfaces made in China but they don't even mention software! Open source would be best since I can write my on and/or mod the circuit to add triggers, qualifiers, etc.

Do you know if there's any available docs that show Ford's extended OBM codes or documentation of ECU source ids, function codes, data meaning, etc?

I'm looking for one that will show me the raw, low level messages running around on CAN bus AND let me generate my own command messages.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
joe51 - Thanks for the link! Have you tried this one out yet? How much support is there for it from users? Will it read both the Hi speed and Medium speed busses that Ford use? I've been looking at CAN bus interfaces this afternoon. I found a German made one called CAN BASIC on Youtube that looks pretty good but I haven't found a price or a place to order it from. E-bay has plenty of inexpensive interfaces made in China but they don't even mention software! Open source would be best since I can write my on and/or mod the circuit to add triggers, qualifiers, etc.

Do you know if there's any available docs that show Ford's extended OBM codes or documentation of ECU source ids, function codes, data meaning, etc?

I'm looking for one that will show me the raw, low level messages running around on CAN bus AND let me generate my own command messages.
The link/URL was provided as a FYI. I have no other information and/or experience.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by texasmark
2014 XL. I will see if the dealer can put me in police dark mode. Otherwise I will pull out the guts on the door switch and bypass. I do not want any lights to come on when I open the door. The interior has map lights I can turn on when I need light.
Sounds good, texasmark. You can find info on how to deactivate the Belt-Minder feature on page 36 in the third printing of your owner's manual. I'll be here if you need me.

Nick

Old 12-30-2021, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gDMJoe
FYI ... The 1st owner must have had POLICE DARK MODE (a BCM parameter that can be flashed via FoMoCo's IDS - Integrated Diagnostic System) -ENABLED-

MEANING:
  • interior -AND- all exterior (front / rear parking and cargo) lights do not come-on when the door is opened and/or closed. *EXCEPTION: Door key pad will still illuminate.
  • when the fob is used to lock|unlock the doors, the parking lights come-on/turn-off for a VERY brief moment. *The time that the lights illuminate is MUCH, MUCH shorter than "normal". Would describe it as a flash.
  • when using the key fob to lock the doors, the horn will not sound.

As a BTW and FYI ...

Beginning in 2011 the instrument panel dimmer control changed to a rocker switch (from a roller thumbwheel) and with that change the ability to disable the illuminated entry feature was lost.

Prior to 2011 to disable the illuminated entry feature you only needed to rotate the instrument panel dimmer control thumbwheel to the left position, past the detent.

And Yes, I have the " Police dark car feature" -enabled-

Fleet F-150s and Expeditions that are ordered / intended for law enforcement agency use are shipped with the " Police dark car feature" -enabled-
I have a 2008 Ford F-150 King Ranch. I am having the same problem. I open any door and the overhead dome lights and the mirror courtesy won’t come on. Can I disable the “police dark mode” myself or do I have to bring it to a dealer? If I can do it myself how do I do it?

Quick Reply: 2011 Dome/Courtesy light issue