Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

2009 - 2014 F-150 SPONSORED BY:
Advertisement

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 10-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2010 Ford F150
09-13 fuel door cover spring repair

i wanted to share a 'How-to' on repairing the fuel door spring on the 09-13 F150. this was done on my 2010 FX2.

today as i finished filling up i noticed the fuel door did not spring back into place. it would not properly close and i could not diagnose the issue on the spot. luckily i was close to home and could do a little more research on what may be broken and or what i need to fix, order, or take to dealer.

Click the image to open in full size.

Step 1: open fuel door and remove the Easy Fuel trim ring from the fuel filler neck. it should pop on and off easily.

Step 2 (optional): cover filler opening with small cloth, paper towel, etc to keep from dropping any foreign objects into filler neck.

Step 3: remove the 3 8mm bolts surrounding filler neck.

top view of housing and tab placement

bottom view of housing and tab placement

Step 4: reach up under fender and behind fuel door housing assembly and feel for 4 friction snap tabs. you'll need to pinch in the top and bottom tabs on the side opposite the hinge (back side of truck) and push to pop out the entire housing. it took me a few times of working all 4 to work it out of the lip of the fender to where it was free. you'll eventually slide it out in a hooking motion bringing the rear facing side out 1st.

proper spring connector placement with door closed

proper spring connector placement with door open

Step 5: investigate the spring and the connectors. here's where i caught a break. i have read that some of these points break off, where as mine had worked itself out of index. the hinge axle connector felt like it was sleeved over the axle pin and was not indexed or pressed into proper alignment. i released the spring off the housing side felt the action of the door hinge to the connector and simply pressed the hinge connector back down into place. insert the spring into the hinge axle side first, then snap the spring into the housing side (spring will have full tension on it). test door open/close functionality to ensure everything is working properly before re-installing.

photo shows hinge connector pressed down into place. before this photo it was about 1/2" taller and would not grab the hinge axle so no spring tension was on the door to keep it closed

Step 6 (optional): while i had everything out i cleaned the rubber seals and wiped off some of the dust and grime buildup on both the housing and fender indention where the housing sits.

Step 7: re-insert entire assembly hinge side first and wiggle pinch tabs into position.

Step 8: re-bolt the 3 8mm bolts to the fuel filler neck.

Step 9: snap the Easy Fuel ring back to the fuel filler neck.

Step 10: remove the optional (Step 2) cover from the fuel filler opening.

you're now finished ready to roll!

the internet is a great tool and forums like F150online, it's users and contributors, made my day. i had read a few posts about similar issues with the older models, yet i never had an issue with my '05 STX. today the '10 FX2 needed a simple fix. thanks to DarrenWS6 and Frisco_F150 for their original thread which gave me the inspiration for my thread.

if your assembly is broken you may choose order parts and do the install yourself. it took about 10 minutes total.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:49 AM
2010 Ford F-150

Had the same problem a while ago ... http://www.f150online.com/forums/200...-resolved.html

Easy fix now ...
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 AM
2010 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2010 FORD F150
I changed mine yesterday, quick 10 minute fix. thanks for the directions
Old 02-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2009 Ford F150
Thank you for this post! Your procedure is excellent. I fixed mine this morning. I had the same issue you did. The plastic hinge pin had popped up. - Thank You
Old 02-14-2013, 02:39 PM
2011 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2011 Ford F-150
http://www.facebook.com/julian.d.buckley
i had that happen to me a few months ago. mine was still under warranty so they just gave me a whole new fuel door. if it breaks again now i'll know how to fix it myself since its out of warranty now. thanks

2011 Coyote 5.OOOHH
Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2013 Ford F-150
I haven't had this issue, but nice write up and s/b pinned in the "How To" forum!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:52 PM
2013 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150
I searched this but did not find it:

Does anyone make a locking housing?
Not a stick on overlay but a locking ring?

I had one on my F250 but have not seen one for the F150.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks!

My 2010 FX2 did the exact same thing, and with your help, I fixed it in less than 30 minutes. Thanks for the post!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Garage is empty, add now

awesome!

Wow, thank you so much for posting this thread. I had already bought the new housing ($61.00) and deciding to try the fix before replacing it...now I can take the part back and saved some $$... it also only took me about 30 min.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Does anyone know where to buy a replacement spring for a 2010 F-150? I am being told by Ford that I have to buy a new housing for $63+ as that is the only way to get the spring. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I called O'Reily Auto Parts and checked Home Depo and they didn't have anything. I would hate to spend so much money just b/c the very end of the spring broke off.

Great post. It only took me 15 minutes to take everything apart and I have never done anything like this before.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150

Step 11: Shut the fuel door.

That was one solid piece of technical writing accompanied by effective pictures. Nice work! Boeing could use you.

Hope I don't have to do this fix, however.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks for the write up!

I just did this in the parking lot at work.

Wish I would of investigated sooner, I've been using a piece of electrical tape for
the past 6 MONTHS!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thank you for the great instructions and pictures. I just had to fix my fuel door.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:38 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Damn. & to think I would pay the dealer 200 to replace the housing. Your post saved me $. Thanks for taking time to post the directions. Much appreciated!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:57 PM
2009 Ford F-150 SuperCrew
My Garage

Thanks for the write up. In my desire to only take this apart one time I decided on a mod to hopefully eliminate the need to do this again in the future. I drilled a small hole into the bottom of the hinge pin (bottom, opposite end from the spring). I used a small screw and washer to limit the amount of travel the hinge pin can move.
http://www.f150online.com/forums/mem...or-removed.gif
http://www.f150online.com/forums/mem...-installed.gif
http://www.f150online.com/forums/mem...ottom-view.gif
http://www.f150online.com/forums/mem...-hinge-pin.gif
http://www.f150online.com/forums/mem...fix-view-2.gif
http://www.f150online.com/forums/mem...fix-view-1.gif
http://www.f150online.com/forums/mem...ottom-view.gif

Maybe this will help someone.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:57 PM