Installed: 2011 5.0L Engine/Intake Cover
Took a different
approach to installing the 2011+ Mustang 5.0L engine/intake cover ...
Why raise the cover?
- raise the mounting points using 1½" square aluminum tubing cut in 1½" lengths.
- drill a ¾" hole in one of the sides of the resulting cube to receive the mounting grommets (part # BR3Z-9P686-A).
- use 3M double-sided attachment tape to attach the mounting extensions to the mounting points on the intake manifold.
- change 2 hoses
- the ½" vacuum hose that connects to the air intake tube. *Replace|shorten and relocate.
- the hose that goes to the coolant reservoir. *Relocate only.
- make a 9" x 2½" cut-out, notch in the RH (passenger) edge of the cover.
- paint the cover (including the chrome 5.0 emblem and trim) with SEM Trim Paint (part # 39143) - satin/matte black.
- concern that the cover would trap/hold heat.
- air would still be able to flow over the intake manifold.
- minimize the hose (coolant, emissions, vacuum, fuel, etc.) changes and rerouting.
Post installation observation ...
Using a hand-held, non-contact LASER thermo-meter, measured the temperature of the cover after an hour of stop-and-go city driving - 139degrees
. The intake manifold was 119degrees
(same a without the cover installed).
, the cover does set-up, off the intake manifold, however ...
Modification pic's ...
Installing the cover using the stock mounting points and changing / rerouting hoses - How-To ««« -click-
Last edited by gDMJoe; 05-05-2012 at 12:48 AM.