Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5.0 vs. Ecoboost Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ragged05FX4
I miss when it was Ford vs. Chevy, not 5.0 vs 3.5-eb...
What I find funny is when Ford had the slowest truck on the market everyone's defense around here was that they bought the truck to be a truck. Now that Ford has one of the fastest trucks on the market everyone thinks it's time to enter a Nascar race.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2004Triton5.4
What I find funny is when Ford had the slowest truck on the market everyone's defense around here was that they bought the truck to be a truck. Now that Ford has one of the fastest trucks on the market everyone thinks it's time to enter a Nascar race.
Good point.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by MTM Ford
Good point.
Agreed!

We all try to justify what we have, why we have it, and why it is the best.

Doesn't really matter what we say though....Ford IS better than GM or Chevy

Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Chevy has since dropped from the race with their 2006-era technology
One of the smartest things Ford has done is bring out the Ecoboost in a truck.
It peaked my interest in a brand that has not treated me very well in the past....multiple times.
Without the Ecoboost I seriously doubt I would be driving an F150 again but once I drove it the decision was pretty much made....excited me more than the growl of any V8 had before
Now the truck/motor had better stand up to the test of time!

Last edited by bosro; 07-14-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Sorry, forgot to mention...I have a Eco and absolutely love it. This is the first truck that I have found that is actually fun to drive (even more so than my wifes 2007 Acura TL). It is so smooth, quiet, and effortless. I do agree that the "slight" lag from a dead stop is annoying, but it is only for a second. As soon as those RPMs kick up just a little...it takes off. Just have to compensate. That is the only lag though. While driving, it is non exsistent. I have NO experience with the 5.0..can't speak for it. All I can say is that I LOVE my Eco

Old 07-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Chevy has since dropped from the race with their 2006-era technology
haha yea their poor old 5.3. But that 6.0 Hybrid gets like 20/23 MPG doesn't it? Of course, I don't think any of us would actually buy one. We are still afraid of turbos! Me included, I'm about to lease one since Ford seems to think they will be worth a bit 3 years from now, they have the same residuals as a 5.0.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Now that you mention it, did you know the eb supercab beats a MazdaSpeed3 0-60?

I know I know, a truck is a truck, but man, 6.1 seconds is just crazy.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Man 4Eva
Sorry, forgot to mention...I have a Eco and absolutely love it. This is the first truck that I have found that is actually fun to drive (even more so than my wifes 2007 Acura TL). It is so smooth, quiet, and effortless. I do agree that the "slight" lag from a dead stop is annoying, but it is only for a second. As soon as those RPMs kick up just a little...it takes off. Just have to compensate. That is the only lag though. While driving, it is non exsistent. I have NO experience with the 5.0..can't speak for it. All I can say is that I LOVE my Eco
I would love to know if a tune would help with the turbo lag at low speeds. I do A LOT of city driving and the lag is cumbersome. I know there are people that claim their truck has no noticeable lag, but I think they're just boosting their ego (like my pun? lol).

A solid mash on the throttle at low speeds is followed by a considerable delay before the truck launches. I'd like to cut that delay by half, preferable 1/3 or 1/4. Would a tune help?

Old 07-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by TX Chris
I would love to know if a tune would help with the turbo lag at low speeds. I do A LOT of city driving and the lag is cumbersome. I know there are people that claim their truck has no noticeable lag, but I think they're just boosting their ego (like my pun? lol).

A solid mash on the throttle at low speeds is followed by a considerable delay before the truck launches. I'd like to cut that delay by half, preferable 1/3 or 1/4. Would a tune help?
So you're driving around all day mashing the pedal to the floor?

I have zero noticeable turbo lag driving around town. Cumbersome is hardly a word to describe turbo lag in the eco. If you want to mash the pedal all day from a stop, try break torquing then you won't notice any lag.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OldSkoolMC
So you're driving around all day mashing the pedal to the floor?

I have zero noticeable turbo lag driving around town. Cumbersome is hardly a word to describe turbo lag in the eco. If you want to mash the pedal all day from a stop, try break torquing then you won't notice any lag.
Bingo! If you are are a dead stop and put the skinny pedal to the carpet there will be a very short period before the power really comes on. Once the tach sees 2000 RPM it's on! This is the nature of the turbo beast. There just isn't enough air coming out of the engine to really spin them up. I've notice that the EB will launch harder if you roll into the throttle instead of just going WOT all at once.

If you really want to launch it hard, kill the TC, hold the brakes on, rev it up to ~1900RPM or so then hammer it as you lift the brakes.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:04 AM
What I wonder is why the Max Trailer Tow on the EB and no 36gal fuel tank??? Makes no sense.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
I've notice that the EB will launch harder if you roll into the throttle instead of just going WOT all at once.
I've noticed this same thing. Once I figured it out I started using it to my advantage.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:02 AM
A situation arose yesterday that brought into context the recklessness of at least one Ecoboost owner that has somehow given him some sort of empowerment of invincibility on the road.

A brand new '11 4x4 Ecoboost (still had dealer ad plates on) came up behind me on a four-lane highway (2 in each direction) and tailgated for close to 10 minutes. There were so many cars ahead and to the slower lane so riding my tail would not help in getting the traffic to move faster, but the real issue was the danger of an emergency stop situation and this yokel doesn't realize that a 6,000 pound vehicle plus passenger is not going to stop on a dime, especially when there is only 10 feet separating you and the vehicle in front. I had my girlfriend and a relative of her's in my truck so I was overly concerned for their safety.

When an opening presented itself, he quickly changed out to the slower lane then cut me off with only 5 feet between us. He continued to do this to 2 more cars in front of him, yet it was just a scant 3 minutes later that he pulled off on the next exit where he obviously was taking the looping turn extremely slow and cautiously.

A few moments later, a CHP came rolling by. I just wish he was around when that "driver" was trying to "NASCAR" around all of us, for what was apparently dubious reasons.

There is a time and place for demonstrating the performance of a vehicle. A crowded and small freeway is not one of them. Especially a large, heavy vehicle like a 4x4 F-150.

I've got a 600HP TT Z so if he really thinks he's fast... ahh, but there's the catch: There will always be someone else faster than you. It all boils down to who wants to win a "Darwin award" the most (which I have no problem with at all, unless they endanger others in the process).

Last edited by Augster; 07-17-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Augster
A situation arose yesterday that brought into context the recklessness of at least one Ecoboost owner that has somehow given him some sort of empowerment of invincibility on the road.

A brand new '11 4x4 Ecoboost (still had dealer ad plates on) came up behind me on a four-lane highway (2 in each direction) and tailgated for close to 10 minutes. There were so many cars ahead and to the slower lane so riding my tail would not help in getting the traffic to move faster, but the real issue was the danger of an emergency stop situation and this yokel doesn't realize that a 6,000 pound vehicle plus passenger is not going to stop on a dime, especially when there is only 10 feet separating you and the vehicle in front. I had my girlfriend and a relative of her's in my truck so I was overly concerned for their safety.

When an opening presented itself, he quickly changed out to the slower lane then cut me off with only 5 feet between us. He continued to do this to 2 more cars in front of him, yet it was just a scant 3 minutes later that he pulled off on the next exit where he obviously was taking the looping turn extremely slow and cautiously.

A few moments later, a CHP came rolling by. I just wish he was around when that "driver" was trying to "NASCAR" around all of us, for what was apparently dubious reasons.

There is a time and place for demonstrating the performance of a vehicle. A crowded and small freeway is not one of them. Especially a large, heavy vehicle like a 4x4 F-150.

I've got a 600HP TT Z so if he really thinks he's fast... ahh, but there's the catch: There will always be someone else faster than you. It all boils down to who wants to win a "Darwin award" the most (which I have no problem with at all, unless they endanger others in the process).
You are right. I rarely drive like that in my Truck or any other car.

But to the point of someone faster than you Both my Busa and Concours 14 would leave ya in the dust. Maybe this guy doesnt have a modded Z or busa. SSo to him - he thinks he IS fast. Its all relative... Trust me - Riding an 08 Busa - I meet these Yahoos all the time.... 0-60 in 2.5 and 0-100 sub 5 sec..... Problem is when I get back in my tturck I am used to the acceleration and it just cant compete...

So mmaybe this dude is a Busa rider?

In all seriousness - I get it and you are right, even if fast a 6K lb truck is still a 6lb truck and got to be careful....

Love to see your Z - HUGE Nissan Fan. Stay safe bro.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
Maybe this guy doesnt have a modded Z or busa. SSo to him - he thinks he IS fast. Its all relative...
Truth.

Props to your cojones bro! Before I met my girlfriend, she used to drive a Honda CBR600; perfect for a 5'3" woman. But some idiot clipped her and she had a nasty spill. It was all the other guys fault. Doctors said she would never walk again and she had to be cared for.

But she, too, had a pair and vowed to walk again. A year later, she did, to the amazement of doctors and family.

So keep it safe out there and I'm sure you know to always watch out for the OTHER guy... Which is why I now always have my head on swivel when on the road.

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs. Ecoboost Pros and Cons