Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009 - 2014 F-150 SPONSORED BY:
Advertisement

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:49 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ford F-150
Grille Removal??

Hey guys,

I am trying to remove my grille but not having any luck. I read that there are tabs that need to be removed after loosening the bolts. Does anybody know of an easy way to release the tabs without breaking them? Everything I have read so far says that it is almost impossible to not break any tabs.

2010 Ford F-150 FX4 SuperCrew Luxury Package with Line-X, WeatherTechs, Stow-able Bed Extender, and Viper Alarm/Remote Start System
Old 05-18-2011, 11:18 PM

Vehicle: 2010 FX4 Screw
I don't have any words of wisdom as to your question, but let us know how it goes, and take pics if you can. I have a 2010 fx4 as well and would love to swap my grill too.

I have however heard some of grilles center sections are completely attached to the outer grill.

2010 FX4 Screw 6.5ft bed
6in BDS lift, 35x12.50 Open Country's and 18in D1ck Cepek rims, Bakflip F1 and Bedrug, Front Windows Tinted, HD Tails
Catback duals, 4in stainless rolled tips, N-fab prerunner bar with KC's.

Last edited by ruffn-it; 05-18-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:30 AM

Vehicle: 2009 FORD F150
I swapped out mine, it was a long time ago but I believe I pulled up and out at the same time...work your way from the outer edges into the middle. I believe there are 5 tabs and I didn't break any, just take your time..good luck!

-2009 F150 Lariat 4x4 Screw, 6.5 box, White Sand
-20% front tint to match factory, 5% eyebrow, XLT Chrome Ed. grille, Raptor heads/tails, Line-X bedliner, Stealth titanium parking bulbs, Cat-back dual exhaust w/ 4" stainless tips, DeWalt toolbox, Putco handle covers, Painted Calipers, Wagner TQ Pads
-20x9 Ballistic Jesters with +12 offset/5.47 backspace wrapped in 305/55/R20 Nitto TerraGrapps w/o a level
Old 05-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Well after reading countless threads and searching for videos I tried once again to remove the grille. It would help if I could see the tabs that I am supposed to push down on. I pulled the surround a few inches towards myself and I still cant see the tabs. I decided to not risk breaking anything and gave up. It also doesn't help when my wife is standing over my shoulder just waiting for me to break something so she could say "I told you so". I may end up going to the ford body shop down the street and ask them for any advice.

2010 Ford F-150 FX4 SuperCrew Luxury Package with Line-X, WeatherTechs, Stow-able Bed Extender, and Viper Alarm/Remote Start System
Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ford F150
If you bring it down there and un do ALL the bolts before you go in, you may get lucky enough to have them just finish it for you. Once the guy demo's one, he may as well just finish for ya. Consider it customer service. If it is a true body shop your odds are better, than if you go through the service department at your dealer. Find the back door to the body shop, talk to the shop forman... NOT THE MANAGER.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:38 PM

I used a panel popper wrapped in a t-shirt...it came right off! You could also use a screw driver....but make sure you use a t-shirt or some material so that the metal of the screw driver or panel popper doesnt touch the paint on your hood
Old 05-19-2011, 11:01 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ford F350
Send a message via AIM to TwoBlocked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelessr1 View Post
I used a panel popper wrapped in a t-shirt...it came right off! You could also use a screw driver....but make sure you use a t-shirt or some material so that the metal of the screw driver or panel popper doesnt touch the paint on your hood
Had I taken my time this probably would have worked to not break the tabs. But honestly, if you can get over the fact that you're breaking something it really isn't a big deal. I broke all five tabs getting my grille off and you don't miss them when you put the grille back on. I think it only aligns the gasket between the grille and hood. Mine is back on with broken tabs and I can't tell the difference. Just get over that mental hurdle and you'll be fine, lol.

'11 White Platinum Tri-Coat Metallic Expedition 4x4 Limited (hers)

Last edited by TwoBlocked; 05-21-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to marshal
i got frustrated with mine and just broke all of them off and expoy'd them back on.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:51 AM

Vehicle: 2004 ford F250
I broke all of mine off putting on my billet. didn't reinstall them and have had no problems with the grill back on the truck. it has been about 6 months now

2003 f250 King Ranch 6.0. 8" Pro-Compo lift 20x14 riots with 37" toyos. Air Raid intake, 5" turbo back exhaust, kenwood double din with Kicker sound system and custom center console and paint, 05-07 front, 08 rear. Silver and orange paint and matching interior.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:07 PM

Ok I got some good news from the Ford body shop. The reason why I wanted the grille off is because there are 3 evenly spaced dents along the top of the painted surround. I was going to take the grille off and try to push out the dents. The guy at the body shop said that the dents were caused by the tabs and that this could be a possible warranty claim since my truck only has 6000 miles on it. Has anybody ever heard of this happening? The guy said that the 5 tabs underneath have caused undo stress to the plastic surround and caused the plastic to cave in. These dents are perfectly in line with the tabs. He also said that there is no way to take the grille off without breaking the tabs so they will have to order a new painted grille. I am going back after the weekend so they can take pictures and send them up to Ford. Hopefully Ford won't reject the claim.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:29 PM

I have a 2010 FX4 with painted surrond and have installed the cut out full billet grille from Street Scene. I purchased a cheap set of nylon pry bars from Harbor Freight and did not break any of the tabs. I would not do the screw driver, the pry bars have a better shape. I started at the corners and worked in toward the center. With the prybar you can see where the clips are located and get right on top of them.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:01 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ford F-150 FX4
Quote:
GS357 ... I purchased a cheap set of nylon pry bars from Harbor Freight and did not break any of the tabs. I would not do the screw driver, the pry bars have a better shape. I started at the corners and worked in toward the center. With the prybar you can see where the clips are located and get right on top of them.
+1

Click the image to open in full size.
Part #95214

Great for removing emblems too.

-click- the pic'
Goth '150
< This space intentionally blank >
Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 AM

I looked for those but couldn't find them. I don't have a harbor freight near my house. I guess if it can't be fixed under warranty then I will order a set online and give it another shot. Thanks for the tips guys!

Old 05-27-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheerider View Post
Ok I got some good news from the Ford body shop. The reason why I wanted the grille off is because there are 3 evenly spaced dents along the top of the painted surround. I was going to take the grille off and try to push out the dents. The guy at the body shop said that the dents were caused by the tabs and that this could be a possible warranty claim since my truck only has 6000 miles on it. Has anybody ever heard of this happening? The guy said that the 5 tabs underneath have caused undo stress to the plastic surround and caused the plastic to cave in. These dents are perfectly in line with the tabs. He also said that there is no way to take the grille off without breaking the tabs so they will have to order a new painted grille. I am going back after the weekend so they can take pictures and send them up to Ford. Hopefully Ford won't reject the claim.
I have to call BS on the fact that you yuor body shop guy said that you cant take the grille off without breaking those tabs. I didnt break a single one when i removed mine. I took my time, applied pressure at the right place and got them all out in tacked (so it is possible) but since you only have 6000 miles on yours that would def be a warranty claim, and i wouldnt touch it! Let them do it!
Old 05-27-2011, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the info however ford emailed the dealer and said that this is not a warranty claim. Ford said that they are not aware of any defects with the grilles. They also said that the dents look like they are from an outside source. I am pissed because I am convinced that my grille has a defect.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:08 PM