2009 - 2014 F-150

High beams AND Fog lamps

Old 04-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High beams AND Fog lamps

I have a '10 Platinum and as with my '05, when I put on the high beams the fog lamps go out.
I appreciate why Ford has set the lights up to be like that ie. if youre in fog you shouldnt need the high beams so if you need high beams you probably dont need the fog lamps HOWEVER when we are out in the desert and its dark I want all the light I can get, any ideas how this is possible?

Im not looking to add spot lights and a bull bar etc etc - I'm just looking to maximize the light I have at the moment.

Last edited by DXB-F150; 04-25-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That I'm aware of, nobody has figured it out yet for the new body style ('09-present). Sorry.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm pretty sure the reason they do that is the law in most states is that no more than four beams can be lit up at a time. When you have your high beams on that's four beams, so the fogs have to turn off.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Suspended
^^ yep.

you could always re-wire your fogs to a switch and do it manually, or try and search this forum or others and see if someone has done it.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 PM
these mods have been done. research 'bambi mod' here in the forums.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DXB-F150
I have a '10 Platinum and as with my '05, when I put on the high beams the fog lamps go out.
I appreciate why Ford has set the lights up to be like that ie. if youre in fog you shouldnt need the high beams so if you need high beams you probably dont need the fog lamps HOWEVER when we are out in the desert and its dark I want all the light I can get, any ideas how this is possible?

Im not looking to add spot lights and a bull bar etc etc - I'm just looking to maximize the light I have at the moment.
Ford didn't set up the light because you don't need high-beams in the fog, its because they work against each other.

Well its true you would maximize light output, but realistically it would hurt you to have fog lights lit up in conjunction with the high beams. The fog lights make your eyes focus on the road in front of you, and making you temporarily near-sighted, and this works against the high-beam.

Originally Posted by phenom
I'm pretty sure the reason they do that is the law in most states is that no more than four beams can be lit up at a time. When you have your high beams on that's four beams, so the fogs have to turn off.
Your high beams arent four beams. Its two. The H13 is a dual-filament bulb. You can have either the lows on or the highs. Not both. And see above as the reason why they are made to disengage.

OP- the best bet for you is to wire them separately. But if you think this is going to help, as a person with fogs on a separate switch, I can tell you it doesnt. When my high beams are on I manually reach over and turn off my fog lights, they mess with your down the road sight that bad.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:20 PM
fogs on with high beam on 2010

Good question I'm looking for the answer to the same question

Old 12-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NYRoughneck
Good question I'm looking for the answer to the same question

It was a dumb, ill-considered (and acuity-impacting) mod back in 2011 when this thread was born.

Nothing has changed - it's STILL a dumb idea.

However - you may as well learn to use the site's Search feature from the get-go and search for 'Bambi Mod', if you wanted to proceed regardless of what common sense tells you.

Best of luck.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 PM
fog lamps on with high beams

I purchased kit this on eBay for $24.00 free shipping. Wished I would of looked there before I spent hours searching.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-F150-Truck-HIGH-BEAM-FOG-LIGHT-KIT-Turns-Fogs-Back-On-W-High-Beam-Lights-/150552955416?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230da7ca18&vxp=mtr
good luck.:

Old 12-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Senior Member I did search and followed many leads on this site to a dead end. Not one had an answer for the 2010 and newer mode years. Not sure of your concerns because one is required to dim your lights to low beam for on coming traffic any way... Thank you for your assistance..

Old 12-01-2014, 11:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptor05121

Ford didn't set up the light because you don't need high-beams in the fog, its because they work against each other.

Well its true you would maximize light output, but realistically it would hurt you to have fog lights lit up in conjunction with the high beams. The fog lights make your eyes focus on the road in front of you, and making you temporarily near-sighted, and this works against the high-beam.

Your high beams arent four beams. Its two. The H13 is a dual-filament bulb. You can have either the lows on or the highs. Not both. And see above as the reason why they are made to disengage.

OP- the best bet for you is to wire them separately. But if you think this is going to help, as a person with fogs on a separate switch, I can tell you it doesnt. When my high beams are on I manually reach over and turn off my fog lights, they mess with your down the road sight that bad.
This ^ is his concern.
Did ya miss it?

Old 12-02-2014, 01:10 PM
If you want brighter light output, replace the bulbs with brighter bulbs...

Old 12-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by downfromthesky
If you want brighter light output, replace the bulbs with brighter bulbs...
Which don't exist, if you are referring to (street-legal) halogens:

9007:

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...artnumber=9007

H13:

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...partnumber=H13

Now - if you are referring to retrofits, then yes indeed.

BSB

Old 12-02-2014, 08:04 PM
As said before, most laws are no more than 4 lights from the front at the same time (not including clearance and identification lamps)

Old 12-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sbradenadams
As said before, most laws are no more than 4 lights from the front at the same time (not including clearance and identification lamps)
You are correct but what most people don't understand is that each high beam counts as two bulbs per the Feds no matter how many filaments are being used. That means with the fogs and high beams on a total of 6 bulbs are lit. Now, I doubt many cops will stop you for this since they don't enforce the lighting laws very well. Drop in HIDs I'm looking at you!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High beams AND Fog lamps