2009 - 2014 F-150

Ford OEM Tow Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 12:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford OEM Tow Mirrors

I'm thinking about getting the Ford Tow mirrors. Yes they are expensive so I'm on the fence. I really like my current mirrors except for the fact they don't extend far enough out to see on the sides of my trailer. I really like the self dimming function of the left driver's side mirror. It's really helpful with people that are rude and leave on their bright lights. I hate to lose that feature but I'm hoping I'll gain the puddle lights of the Tow Mirror.

That brings me to my question, will the puddle light function work as my current mirrors have turn signal, power, heat, and self dimming, but not the puddle light? I've have heard that the puddle light will work in some posts but it's never been directly asked or answered. This would be on my truck in the signature which is a 2010.

I'm sure the Tow mirrors don't have it but I figure I'll ask, do they have the self dimming feature?? Some elude that they have this feature but I really doubt it since it's not directly listed.

BTW, I'll be getting the Black (not chrome or painted) Tow Mirrors with power mirror glass, signal, and heated with manual telescoping.

Also, my original mirrors are like new with no marks or anything, does anyone know of a good place to sell them? Being able to sell them will reduce the ungodly expensive price of the tow mirrors. I'm thinking craigs list. Not going the ebay route as that's a hassle for me. If I can't recoupe some money on the original mirrors, I'll just keep them and get the **** slip over Custom Mirrors. I like the fact that the OEM mirrors will be there at any time, if needed and that they will give a larger viewable area with the convex mirror. I doubt I'll get a bigger camper as I haven't found many floorplans that I like better than ours in any size, but if we do, these will help with a 32' long camper for sure.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would post in the classified section of the forum that you want to switch with someone. Some people have the tow mirrors and don't like them. That or just try to sell them there. Sorry can't help you with the puddle lamp feature, but I would assume its tied into the parking lights since they come on together.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:09 AM
ya i did the same switch and my puddle lamp's worked fine!
before

and after

Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 AM
APT
Plenty of people don't like them. You'll find someone to trade.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:43 AM
They are nice mirrors, but big and honking. I have to fold in the drivers side mirror when entering my garage. I have a 9 ft opening and still tight. The visability with them is great.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:56 PM
For the best possible price, order the mirrors from Lombard Ford or Tasca Parts depending on where you live and shipping costs. I was able to pick up both mirrors from Lombard Ford(fordpartsdirect.com) for $250 plus $20 shipping. This is a huge savings over the Ford Accessories Store's $175 a piece price without shipping.

I have a 2010 F150 CrewCab with the same previous mirrors as yours, when I upgraded to the tow mirrors I gained the puddle light, but I too have read that some trucks simply just don't have this in the wiring. It's all a matter of luck I take it?

Anyways, let me know if you have any questions on the installation. After I figured out where the last door panel bolt was(There are FOUR on a 2010 F150), it was litteraly ten minutes per mirror. You won't need any assistance, the mirrors oddly enough have this clip feature on the top stud that basically lets you install the mirrors yourself without someone holding it up. This is probably the easiest installation ever but there were parts where I got stuck(couldn't find that bolt behind the handle. RAGE!!!!)

Just remember that there are:
Two bolts on the bottom of the door
1 bolt underneath the square on the outside arm rest
1 bolt behind the black pad in the door handle on the inside. Get a hook and gently pull that black piece out of there.

Otherwise I love my tow mirrors , it's nice having no blind spots. Good luck.

Last edited by American Raptor; 04-15-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks guys for the help. So far I'm thinking the puddle lights should work even though I didn't have them on the original upgraded XLT mirrors, RIGHT??

So do these tow mirrors offer that self dimming feature on the driver's left mirror as my originals??? If it did I would not have any remorse at all.

However, I did order them today. That Ford dealer from F150Forums.com did a price increase from $250 to $270/pair plus you have to pay shipping of near $20 I believe. So his total price is $290. My dealer let me have the Black, heated, signal, power, manual telescoping mirrors for $300 + our $20 tax tax so it's $320 out the door. So for $30, I'm good getting from these guys.

Plus I am going to have the dealership install them and thanks for the offers of helping me do it myself. I thought about doing it myself but Ford seems to have a real problem with their OEM accessories being installed by owners. I want my trucks electrical system to still have a warranty and I'm afraid if something should happen, they'll blame my install. So for the extra $100, I think I'll bite the bullet.

The reason is I'm also getting the brake controller and I was going to install that myself but Ford has it in the manual that the warranty will be voided if not installed by the dealer, as these accessories are only offered for dealer installation. So I'll let the dealer handle these as not to give them a way out of their warranty.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Old 04-16-2011, 02:04 AM
Ford has a tendency to make everything so options are all plug and play for ease of manufacturing. Make 1 wire harness and any option combo will all plug in. Another example is the 40/20/40 front seat, unbolt the center(20) seat and the optional center console bolts right in. (instant buckets with a console) Another one STX and xl rear doors on supercab windows do not roll down on say a 2006, get a window regulator and put it in, everything else is there just waiting! So far I have found this to be true unless they changed things on the brand new ones.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by jimmyb11eb
Ford has a tendency to make everything so options are all plug and play for ease of manufacturing. Make 1 wire harness and any option combo will all plug in. Another example is the 40/20/40 front seat, unbolt the center(20) seat and the optional center console bolts right in. (instant buckets with a console) Another one STX and xl rear doors on supercab windows do not roll down on say a 2006, get a window regulator and put it in, everything else is there just waiting! So far I have found this to be true unless they changed things on the brand new ones.
how right you are. its cheaper for ford to mass order than to buy some one way and some the other way! plus as said it gives you plug and play options!

Old 04-16-2011, 02:38 PM
So guys, does the tow mirrors have the self dimming function on the driver's left side mirror???

Old 04-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Up
So guys, does the tow mirrors have the self dimming function on the driver's left side mirror???
no it dose not

Old 04-17-2011, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
no it dose not
I'll miss that feature for sure. It was a reason I originally decided to stick with the original mirrors and just use the **** slip over custom mirrors.

However I've always wanted the telescoping mirrors and they were never an option or available for any of my recent trucks except the 2004 Titan and they weren't offered as dealer accessory.

So I'm pretty excited about getting them. I think they make the trucks look a lot more beefy and have a look that they're meant to be more than a grocery getter. I never understood why makers started putting little mirrors on trucks. For years, trucks had the chromed metal housing that bolted to the door and window frame where they had a very large flat mirror and a large convex mirror. Then they went to the little mirrors. They never did look right. However the newer 2010 F150 standard mirrors were a bit larger even if they were still to small to tow anything wide.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:23 PM
I'll miss that feature for sure.
I disagree; just my opinion. My driver side mirror tints at night with no light anywhere around and I can't see anything out of it. It will be refreshing for me to be able to see out of it all the time at night.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 PM
I'll miss that feature for sure. It was a reason I originally decided to stick with the original mirrors and just use the **** slip over custom mirrors.
ya i did at first then it came to me to tint the windows and if i need to see i just put the window down!

Old 04-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Well I'm getting quite a bit done this week to the truck.

I'm having the Ford TBC installed, they gave me a much better price of $220 installed and computer updated for it. I'm also having the Ford OEM Tow mirrors installed, the black with power, signal, and heat, for $400 installed, and having all 4 Ford OEM Molded Mud Guards installed for $120.

I'm having them install these mainly for warranty sake. Ford will not warranty the TBC if users install it and I felt if they are like this on the TBC, I'm not taking a chance with the Mirrors. Besides, I didn't really want to tackle the mirrors since I'm working outside in the weather. Since I was having this done anyhow, and short on time, against my better judgement, am just letting them put the mud guards on so that it's done and one less job I have to worry about. With working a lot of overtime, and home improvement jobs piling up, it's so hard to find time to do anything.

The truck will finally be ready to pull the trailer with the mud guards to protect the trailer a bit from thrown rocks. Can't wait, now all I have to do is buy a Torque wrench and tear my Reese Strait-Line Sway/weight distribution hitch apart and fit it to the F150. Previously was setup to fit my 2008 Sport Trac. FUN, FUN, FUN!

Quick Reply: Ford OEM Tow Mirrors