2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best time to buy a new F-150

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is kind of an interesting question for the 2011. As they are new, you would think that bargains wouldn't be available yet . But, Ford sold a crapload of 2010s. Who is still buying? Even though they are inferior, the Dodge and Chevy are largely unchanged for 2011, which means the will be selling at huge discounts to compete for sales volume with the F-150. But, Ford will want to keep its sales lead, so who knows.

If you want a 2011, get it. I bought the first 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 6spd manual 3.73 Brembo Mustang that came off the truck at the dealer I go to. Did I pay too much, not in my opinion. I paid $500 over invoice for one of the first cars equipped this way in all of Dallas/Ft. Worth. People buying now could likely save another $1000 with the rebate. You know what, I've had a HECK of alot more fun in the last 6 months with it than I would have another $1000.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Actually X-plan price is:

Dealer Invoice - (0.4% * Dealer Invoice) + Administration Fee

Where the administration fee is now $275 (it used to be $75). The dealer also can't add on any "add-on" fees.

I also agree with not negotiating a "payment per month". Heck, some dealers could give you a $1.00/month payment. It will just take you a billion years to pay it off at an astronomical amount of interest.

Better to figure out the total price you can afford (with financing if you need it), and negotiate downwards from that.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Boy, that X-Plan dealer fee sure has skyrocketed. It used to be that Documentation fees were included the X-Plan price, then they were capped at $75...and now you are saying it is $275? That's more than some reputable dealers charge in the first place. Of course there will always be those dealerships who look to add additional profits where they can (read the small print on some of those Korean car ads...they're charging almost $400).

Old 12-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by TX Chris
Agreed - do not tell them you have that much to put down. Don't play the payment game either. Simply talk price with them - the payments are a function of the price.

But that wasn't your question. I'm not 'informed', but my feeble mind tells me not to be the first in line for the new truck. I'm also not planning to wait for months on end either. I'll give the EB a little time to lose some hype and then I'll pull the trigger...
Sometimes I'll play the payment game just to frustrate the sales guy. He'll say, "What do you want your payment to be?" I'll say, "$511.29" He'll say, "How did you come up with that number?" I show him a printout of an Excel amortization schedule where if they sell me the truck I want at the price I want to pay and give me what I want for my trade-in, based upon prevailing interest rates, my payment will end up at, for example, $511.29. Naturally they want to hit that same payment level by giving me less than I want for my trade and all I have to do is put and extra $5k down and I still get the monthly payment I want.

Truth be told I now talk with the internet sales person so I can skip the above.

Greg

Old 12-31-2010, 05:15 AM
ideally, you want to purchase before the new year. dealers have to pay an inventory tax on each vehicle that don't sell. but, who thinks about buying a truck in the middle of holiday season?

here's plan b. an insider told me april is the best time. it is the end of the first quarter. he told me he got an expedition $42k msrp or $27k. not bad if you ask me. there is something about that time period that causes the incentives to explode. try it and see.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:33 AM
I second April, next best time would be the end of the year. Got my 2010 in April with about 21% off MSRP. Was the easiest car buying experience I ever had, 5 hours and left with the truck the same day. Got the ExtraCare extended service plan for $650 too for up to 60k miles.

Last edited by zski128; 12-31-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Greg Matty
Sometimes I'll play the payment game just to frustrate the sales guy. He'll say, "What do you want your payment to be?" I'll say, "$511.29" He'll say, "How did you come up with that number?" I show him a printout of an Excel amortization schedule where if they sell me the truck I want at the price I want to pay and give me what I want for my trade-in, based upon prevailing interest rates, my payment will end up at, for example, $511.29. Naturally they want to hit that same payment level by giving me less than I want for my trade and all I have to do is put and extra $5k down and I still get the monthly payment I want.

Truth be told I now talk with the internet sales person so I can skip the above.

Greg
how does the internet sale work?

and ill keep the april idea in mind

Old 12-31-2010, 02:31 PM
Can someone please tell me what the actual Dollar figure Ford invoice here in Canada is for a 2011 FX$ Luxury Pkg, 20's, moonroof, no bedliner, 5.0L.

I guess I'm still not quite certain what they purchase the truck for and what number I should be negotiating as close to as possible. I will gun for late april..I will try negotiating with a salesman..if not then I will go through a couple of the internet managers here and pit them against one another. So anyone who can clarify and give me a definite $ value as to their invoice price would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-31-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Reddragon8
How do I determine what their invoice cost is??? I would like to have a ballpark of what they pay for my particular truck going in so I can negioate to as close to that price as possible.
I make them show it to me.

This is the bottom line.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by GoingGoingGone
Boy, that X-Plan dealer fee sure has skyrocketed. It used to be that Documentation fees were included the X-Plan price, then they were capped at $75...and now you are saying it is $275? That's more than some reputable dealers charge in the first place. Of course there will always be those dealerships who look to add additional profits where they can (read the small print on some of those Korean car ads...they're charging almost $400).
You are confusing the X-Plan Adm Fee and the Dealers Doc Fee.

The X-Plan Adm Fee is part of the X-Plan Price. This has recently been raised to $275. This is what covers the program administration cost. Its included in the X-Plan Price thats on the invoice. You pay this everywhere.

The Dealer's add on Doc Fee is limited to a max of $75 or the state maximum (if less than $75 dollars) with the limitation that the dealer has to charge all X-Plan Customers the same Doc Fee. He cant wave it for one and charge another $75.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I didn't realize this, but it the Doc Fee is now $100:

"Dealers will be permitted to assess up to $100 in documentary fees on each delivery to an eligible purchaser under the terms of the Plan, unless otherwise provided by state or local laws or regulation. Each dealer is responsible for complying with applicable laws or regulations."

Old 01-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by L8 APEX
I make them show it to me.

This is the bottom line.

Absolute best post I have seen yet..You just cleared up everything for me. This cuts all the crap out of the negotiations.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Best time to buy a new one?

Never.

After they have been out awhile, search the internet and find one used with low miles that has been taken care of. They will be out there somewhere. You might have to drive to find it, but a day-trip and a little gas money pales in comparison to the money you will save by letting some other schmuck take the hit on depreciation.

(For example, I just bought a 2010 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD, loaded, leather, all the options I wanted....11K miles on it...had to drive 3-1/2 hours to get it....but saved a metric ton off what the truck stickered for when it sold new to some poor guy 9 months ago.)

Old 01-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Quiz
Best time to buy a new one?

Never.

After they have been out awhile, search the internet and find one used with low miles that has been taken care of. They will be out there somewhere. You might have to drive to find it, but a day-trip and a little gas money pales in comparison to the money you will save by letting some other schmuck take the hit on depreciation.

(For example, I just bought a 2010 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD, loaded, leather, all the options I wanted....11K miles on it...had to drive 3-1/2 hours to get it....but saved a metric ton off what the truck stickered for when it sold new to some poor guy 9 months ago.)
This is much easier to do in the States then it is to do in Canada....Though that is certainly an option....a buddy of mine did this an still ended up paying $36000 for a truck with low miles...for the extra $4k I will buy new. Never owned a new vehicle and this is my chance before kids start arriving and I continue to make good money at my job.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Reddragon8
This is much easier to do in the States then it is to do in Canada....Though that is certainly an option....a buddy of mine did this an still ended up paying $36000 for a truck with low miles...for the extra $4k I will buy new. Never owned a new vehicle and this is my chance before kids start arriving and I continue to make good money at my job.
Ah, didn't realize you were in Canada...

And trust me, I'm not trying to bust your chops - I have bought new the last 3 vehicles myself. But I learned my lesson, and I'm not doing it again.

If your buddy bought a $40K truck (new sticker) used for $36K, he got hosed.

Quick Reply: Best time to buy a new F-150