2009 - 2014 F-150

DirtySCREW's 2010 F150 XLT SCREW 4x4 ReViEw!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DirtySCREW's 2010 F150 XLT SCREW 4x4 ReViEw!!

Hello all. I had a 2010 F150 XLT SCREW 4x4 as a rental vehicle as my truck was having repairs done. This is just MY opinion on just a few hours spread over a few days of driving her. Obviously, I'll be comparing the 10 to my 03 some as well as just my general consensus of the truck itself.

Size---This thing was HUGE!!! It seemed like it had an extra 2 feet of cabin room for the rear passengers!!! The rear doors also opened a LOT wider than my 03 does...making it a lot easier to get kids in and out or get to your cargo in the back. BIG PLUS!!!! Way to go Ford!

Seats---I thought the seats were EXTREMELY comfortable!! The side bolsters just felt like they wrapped around you. My rental was an XLT with cloth interior. I didn't really like the cloth too much as I thought it was cheap.

Brakes----MY FAVORITE THING ON THE ENTIRE TRUCK!!!! The brakes were freaking awesome!!! Some of the BEST brakes I have ever had in ANY vehicle I had driven. They were like sports car brakes. I was super impressed!! The response was just unreal. I put brand new brakes on my 03 as soon as I bought her and they are good but do not even compare to these 2010 brakes! Safety first!--and FORD has this one down pat!

Engine---This truck had the 4.6L 3v V-8. According to FORD, this engine has 292 HP @ 5700, & 320 lb ft @ 4000. This engine is adequate but I personally was wanting more.....I guess I'm use to my 5.4L. I know my truck is only rated at 260HP and I believe 340 lb ft torque....but my truck definitely feels like it has more "*****"! But again, I would feel confident towing or pulling anything with this 4.6L. I did notice (for whatever reason) that the RPMs were about 1000 RPMs higher than my truck----getting to speeds etc. I drove the 2010 like I drive my 03...so the only difference I can say would be the different motor/trans and gearing. I do not know what gears the rental had, and I'm assuming 3.55. My truck has 3.73 LS.

Driveability---The truck drove and rode like a dream. Even the Mrs. said, "this would be comfortable on a long trip"..and it would be. Steered very well and even though it had the big truck feel it never seemed unmanageable.

My rants: Things I DID NOT like!!

First would I guess just be a pet peeve of mine and that is a loud signal light/blinker/turn signal....whatever you want to call it. This was found to be VERY annoying as it was SO LOUD!! Is there anyway to soften its volume??

I mention it before...cloth seats seemed cheap.

The plastics on the dash seemed cheap as well. I would be expecting better quality from FORD if I spent what I know these trucks go for new! Granted, this was an XLT but still! I don't know if the Lariat or other models have better plastics or not.

Some of you have seen my other post..but I'll mention it again. I think its atrocious that I can not get a Lariat FX4 on these new trucks!!!! Lariat is a trim level as well as FX4 is a trim level instead of a package. Boo Ford...Boo!!

I wasn't that crazy about how Ford did the radio either! How would you replace it with an aftermarket?

The info computer in the center of the the instrument cluster was nice....but I could never figure out if it had an Instant MPG mode....what MPGs you were getting at that time...acting a little like a scanguage so you could adjust your driving. Does it have that feature??

I liked the dials on the AC controls, but that stupid button in the middle to put it on vents or floor or whatever was annoying. I think Ford could make a nicer control.

That's about all I can remember right now. I'm sure some of you will chime in with a comment that will jog my memory on something. Overall, I really like the truck. Drove well, rode well, braked EXTREMELY well! I did not get the chance to play with the 4x4. I really like the size of the cabin and this truck had the 6.5 ft bed...my truck has the 5.5. The extra room looked like it could help in certain situations. Hope you enjoyed my review. Again, these are observations from just a few hours with the truck.---DirtySCREW

Last edited by DirtySCREW; 11-10-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:56 PM
FX4 has been it's own model since 2004.
I like the dash material better in my '09 than I did my '04 Lariat.
My last two vehicles had leather but my current truck has cloth. Had there been one on the lot that had leather I would have bought it instead but to be honest I don't miss it one bit and I think the cloth is fine.
The seats are definitely better. The cabin is huge! I drove a friends 2010 Chevy 3500 crew cab a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe how much smaller the interior space is compared to my FX4. I love it.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:34 AM
I don't see a need for a Lariat FX4 when you can simply purchase the FX4 with the luxury package. That's what I did.

I test drove a Silverado before purchasing my FX4, and the cabin room in the Chevy really is pathetic. Nothing even comes close to the new Ford interiors. Any time I have someone ride with me for the first time, they can't believe how much room in is back. This is my first Ford, and I couldn't be happier with it. My only complaint is for a truck with a $40K list, why the hell didn't it come with powerfold mirrors? I see the 2011s do now.

Quick Reply: DirtySCREW's 2010 F150 XLT SCREW 4x4 ReViEw!!