2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally, a mess-free EcoBoost oil change :-)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally, a mess-free EcoBoost oil change :-)

If you have the ecoboost, you know the mess the oil change can make.
Finally, I can predict where the oil will drain now when I change the oil.

For the oil pan drain, I use the fumoto drain valve with the nipple and a hose. That makes draining the pan very easy and clean.

For the oil filter, I found that if you park it on level ground (don't jack it up in any way), you can loosen the filter and it will drain to the rear and come out where that front rubber plug is (the big square one). It'll drain straight down into the oil drain pan I use.

Nice and clean, finally. :-)

Old 10-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Wouldn't a remote filter be an option?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Backnblack_66
Wouldn't a remote filter be an option?
I guess so, but I don't want to fool with that. The filter is the most difficult part of the change now. It's not easy, but it's still possible to lay on the ground and reach up to loosen the filter and that's how I do it.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think we talked about this issue in another thread before. It seems like you have the hang of it now. I can change my oil and typically will only get a random drop or two on the ground. I don't have the drain valve on my truck. I just slowly open the drain and good the plug half way into the opening to direct the flow. For the filter as long as you're level or nose down drinking and taking it off is just like you said. I have found the socket style filter wrenches work the best. The biggest problem is not all brands have the same style flats in the bottom. I only use Motorcraft filters and have s socket that grabs them perfectly. A band style wrench also works well too.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
I think we talked about this issue in another thread before. It seems like you have the hang of it now. I can change my oil and typically will only get a random drop or two on the ground. I don't have the drain valve on my truck. I just slowly open the drain and good the plug half way into the opening to direct the flow. For the filter as long as you're level or nose down drinking and taking it off is just like you said. I have found the socket style filter wrenches work the best. The biggest problem is not all brands have the same style flats in the bottom. I only use Motorcraft filters and have s socket that grabs them perfectly. A band style wrench also works well too.
What socket for the filter do you have? I'm having trouble finding one that fits well because of the many tiny flutes, instead of the larger and less amount of flutes other filters have.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:34 PM
I think I found it at Advance Auto but they make one that fits the MC/Purolator style perfectly and it was only a few $$$. The only problem with it is the end of the extension isn't deep enough. If the extension is all the way in it will push the filter out a little bit.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Old 10-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
I think I found it at Advance Auto but they make one that fits the MC/Purolator style perfectly and it was only a few $$$. The only problem with it is the end of the extension isn't deep enough. If the extension is all the way in it will push the filter out a little bit.
For now I'm using this, which I've had for a long time now. I guess I'll keep using it since it does fit. But I'd also like something more like a regular socket so I can use it to snug up the new filter. It's hard for me to grip it well from where I lay. I want to get it a little tighter.

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Here are a few different versions of what I am using. I believe there are several sizes so verify it will fit a FL-500S. From what I have seen the EB oil filter uses the 30 flute version.

Oil Filter Socket Oil Filter Socket

Oil Filter Socket Oil Filter Socket

Old 10-03-2014, 01:48 PM
I tried that 25400 one but I swear it was too loose and wouldn't spin the filter. I'll see if I still have it (might have disposed of it) and check it again to be sure.
I haven't tried the Hopkins brand.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:39 PM
http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/sho...n_jtt_redirect

Here's one at Advance for 6 bucks. I just grabbed a filter off the shelf and tried the oil cap wrenches out till I found one that works.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:11 PM
UPDATE:
I just got home and I checked the filter socket I bought, once again. It turns out it DOES fit the FL500S perfectly, but the reason why I thought it didn't fit was because the filter from the factory is the one I tried it on first and it didn't fit the factory installed filter. The filter from the factory has different flutes on it. Anyway, I'm all set with this one (which I bought when I bought my truck):
Amazon.com: OEM 25400 Oil Filter A Cap Wrench 74/76mm with 30 flutes: Home Improvement Amazon.com: OEM 25400 Oil Filter A Cap Wrench 74/76mm with 30 flutes: Home Improvement

Old 10-04-2014, 08:59 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Here you go:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=HP-2011

It's actually a better filter than a MC. Has a nut welded on the end to remove with a regular socket or box wrench.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:53 AM
That K&N filter is worth it just for that nut on the end! All filters need that!

Quick Reply: Finally, a mess-free EcoBoost oil change :-)