2009 - 2014 F-150

Outside Temperature Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outside Temperature Sensor

My STX didn't come with auto headlights or outside air temperature. I just got done replacing my headlight switch and putting in the autolamp sensor so I would have auto headlights. That works great. Installed the Ambient Temperature Sensor thinking that i would have the temperature read out in the cab. Well its doesn't work. Anyone know if this is even possible to do?

Thanks

Old 08-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Headlights/temperature question

Hello. I just logged in to see about the ambient temperature issue as well. My 2010 F150 STX didn't come with the auto headlights or temp sensors either. I know I am no help to you, but could you tell me if it was difficult to replace the headlight switch and install the autolamp sensor? Where did you get the parts? How did you know to do it? I am also wanting the ambient temp on my truck. I had all of it on my 2000 F150 Lariat, and I guess I got spoiled. My husband bought me a new truck in January and I don't have all those "luxuries". Thank you for any info you can pass on.
Dawn

Old 08-29-2010, 07:50 PM
I ordered everything from http://teamfordparts.com/. They were very helpful. The Ambient Light Sensor for my STX is #7L1Z13A018A I don't have ATC , the Headlamp switch, w/auto headlamps, w/foglamps is #9L3Z11654CA and the Ambient temp sensor,is #AE5Z12A647A. Again that is for the 09 STX. If I had to do it over again I would of ordered it stock.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Are all the connections/wiring there? So all you have to do is add the parts?

Thanks

Old 09-02-2010, 05:38 PM
For the headlights I just plugged in the sensor and the new switch. Worked great. I can't get the temperature to show though.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by cacher33
For the headlights I just plugged in the sensor and the new switch. Worked great. I can't get the temperature to show though.
To add the auto headlamps feature:
I have an 09 XL and got my Parts from www.TascaParts.com

7L1Z13A018A Sentinel sensor, w/o atc 2007 - 2010 $11.39

This is in the center of the top of the dash, to install take a very small flat tip screwdriver and gently lift the rectangle cover (about 1" X 1/2"). It sure was nice of FORD to connect the wire to this "dummy" trim piece. unhook the 2 pin connector =>C287 (aha 2 pins, it is only one sensor, 4 pins is C286 for auto A/C), plug in the new sensor and look at the sensor and the hole, it only goes in one way.

9L3Z11654CA Headlamp switch, f150, w/auto headlamps, w/foglamps 2009 - 2010 $43.55

Remove the panel that is on the left side of the dash (only accessible with the drivers door open), disconnect the connector => C205 from your "old" light switch. You can now feel the detents you have to push in (squeeze) to remove the old light switch, you shouldn't need any tools. Once the old switch is out pull the wire thru and connect to the new switch, line it up correctly and push it in.

Replace the panel, to the left of the dashboard.
reference: 2009 F150 wiring diagrams, pages 85-3 & 151-14

Regarding the Ambient air temperature sensor:
you'll need the sensor, it installs under the hood in the front passenger side of center, the wiring is there (2 pin connector C132), however I believe you'll need to either reprogram your computer or possibly need a different radio display or mirror display => I've looked thru the wiring diagrams and haven't figured this one out yet.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:36 AM
This is one thing I miss from my old vehicle: Outside Temperature display. I'd be curious to know how to do this if anyone finds out!!!

Old 10-25-2010, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by jmcavalieri
This is one thing I miss from my old vehicle: Outside Temperature display. I'd be curious to know how to do this if anyone finds out!!!
I miss it too!!

But I really wanted the 8 ft box, and even though they say you can get an 8 foot box in an XLT... haven't seen one in ages.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joendoodle
I miss it too!!

But I really wanted the 8 ft box, and even though they say you can get an 8 foot box in an XLT... haven't seen one in ages.
Yeah you can still get them. Our local dealer has one on the lot. But it's a Canadian truck.

http://inventory.danmurphyford.com/e...0FOT118A0.aspx

Old 10-26-2010, 09:02 AM
I tried to trace the wiring back on the the Ambient air temperature sensor. I have the display on my radio and the wiring seems to be there. It must be a programing issue. Maybe something needs turned on.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:18 AM
Cacher33
did you ever figure it out??

Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 AM
The story I got from my service writer is you need the rear view mirror with the compass in it. Now the mirror doesn't have the display, just the compass. I think the wiring harness is in the head liner and the mirror plugs into that. The temp sensor and compass work together to make a circut so the display will work.
A guy on another site found the mirror at Tasca. The manual mirror with compass is listed as about $200.00. But I think the compass module is listed seperatly for about $40.00.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:43 PM
2009 2010 Ambient Temperature Display

Hi:

I have the XLT version of the same issue here. I bought the Heated mirrors and the controller(AC/Heat, Defrost, non atc). Changing out the controller caused the Temperature readout/display from showing. I put the original controller(without defrost) back in the connector and it worked as original and showed the Temperature. The controller obviously shuts it off if you changed it, but without tearing the controller apart, I only found where PIN 15(Ambient Temperature) is the feed from the temperature sensor. I agree the circuit is not complete, but if it does go to the Compass/Auto Dimming Mirror, then where do you find that bundle of wires? There should be a way to complete the circuit without the rear view mirror.

The XLT had a convenience package(mine is not) which included the Dimming Mirror, Defrost and Heated Mirrors. I do not have any more information. I called Tascaparts.com and they emailed me some diagrams, but none showed the rear view/Dimming mirror in the circuit. Any ideas or does the Dimming Mirror take care of the problem? Thanks if you are able to find an answer to this one. I've got part of it here.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Did you ever get a solution to this problem? I also changed the hvac control to get the button for heated mirrors and I lost the exterior temperature display.
Thanks
BICKY

Old 03-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Still looking for the answer. When the weather breaks I'm going to try and trace the wiring.

Quick Reply: Outside Temperature Sensor