2009 - 2014 F-150

Ran out of gas with a 1/4 tank on hill

Old 05-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ran out of gas with a 1/4 tank on hill

My truck was backed in my driveway (which slants down) so I could move my boat. I was low on gas but not to the point of running out (my 50 miles left warning had just chimed before pulling in). THe truck sat in the driveway running for a few minutes while I hooked up the trailer and all the sudden it sputtered and shut off. I tried to restart but with no luck. I got my gas can out that had about 3.5 gallons in it and put it all in the truck, still wouldn't start. I went to the gas station and filled it up again, added 2.5 gallons, no start. Added another 1.5 gallons, finally started. Its strange that the truck wouldnt start after putting in 6 gallons. Just a warning that if you will be parked on a hill it would be a gpood idea to have more than a 1/4 tank or you might run into the same problem I had today.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Ive heard of the same thing happening to someone else. I believe its because we have such a huge tank and the placement of the pick up. Really a poor design if you ask me. How steep is your driveway? On a positive note its good this happened at home instead of at the boat ramp. Guess I wont be going to the boat launch with less than half a tank .

Old 05-15-2010, 10:56 PM

but i think if your launching a boat your slanting the truck the opposite way then what he's describing. Im pretty sure ive launched with under a 1/4 without any problems.

still sucks though

Old 05-16-2010, 06:28 PM
1/4 tank of gas wouldn't throw the low gas "50 miles to go" chime. Sounds like you were lower than you thought/claimed. That said, parking on a hill shouldn't cause that problem.

One question.. You said that after adding gas it still wouldn't start so you went to a gas station and added more. Did you tow it I assume?

Old 05-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Had the same thing happen to me. I had to put some gas in the tank with a can and then drive to the gas station. On the way to the station the miles-to-empty started counting down really quickly....like every other second a mile less. I was a little freaked out. i wont ever let it get that low again. I park on a hill too.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Count me in the same boat as this. Only difference is, I was pulled nose in my parking spot, so I was on an incline down. I went out and started my truck on a 15 deg. morning, and when I went back out 5 minutes later, the truck was dead. I had it towed to a Ford dealership, where they said I was low on gas. I guess a 1/4 tank and 150 miles-to-empty is low?

They put about 5 gallons in, and it started up. They then claimed to adjust my instrument cluster, as it was a "known issue" that the fuel gauge could be showing the wrong amount.

They had a good system on the 2004-2008. Never once did my truck not start due to a situation such as this. Why change it if it's not broken?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you guys have the 36 gallon tank or the smaller one (25 gallon if I remember right). I am pretty sure Ford has a spec that simply putting 1 gallon of gas after running out it should restart, but not sure if how our F150's faired out.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:32 PM
I have the 36 gallon tank in my FX4......I got that beyatch to "3 miles to empty" yesterday.....and yes, I was sweating it!

I couldn't get a good read on exactly how lonw it was as the damn gas pump would only put $75 worth in and automatically shut off. I didn't wanna do it again plus there were others waiting.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:47 PM
I have the 36 also. I have had it down to 2 miles to empty before. It must just be the parking on a slant that screws things up.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:05 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You guys that run it down that low are asking for shortened fuel pump life.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ I learned that lesson the hard way.....true story gentlemen.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
You guys that run it down that low are asking for shortened fuel pump life.
Originally Posted by FX41
^^^ I learned that lesson the hard way.....true story gentlemen.
couldnt agree more, in a brand new truck thats not a good thing to do..i preached to my grandma not to do that to her new edge

Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 PM

i went about 5 to 10 miles past '0 to e' on when i first bought my truck. Dealer said bring it back on empty for the detail and wash and they would fill it up....I said on a 36gal tank, no problem!

I try not to go to much below a 1/4 now.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by BigTRQ
Count me in the same boat as this. Only difference is, I was pulled nose in my parking spot, so I was on an incline down. I went out and started my truck on a 15 deg. morning, and when I went back out 5 minutes later, the truck was dead. I had it towed to a Ford dealership, where they said I was low on gas. I guess a 1/4 tank and 150 miles-to-empty is low?

They put about 5 gallons in, and it started up. They then claimed to adjust my instrument cluster, as it was a "known issue" that the fuel gauge could be showing the wrong amount.

They had a good system on the 2004-2008. Never once did my truck not start due to a situation such as this. Why change it if it's not broken?
I've had this exact same experience. I had 3/8 or so of a tank so I didn't even consider it being a low fuel problem. I've also ran the low fuel gauge down to nearly "0 miles to empty" and when I fill it up I only put in like 31 gallons. I don't think its the most accurate gauge ever designed.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 PM
you gotta watch that fuel gauge. I have been caught out by it a couple of times but always been on the way to get fuel. First time it said i had half a tank. i was parked on a slope but when i got back level and pulled away the gauge still stayed at half a tank. When i turned the engine of and back on the gauge started dropping from 130 odd miles down to 2 miles extremly quickly. about 20 miles every true mile.

Today i was parked on another slope and it showed i was low on fuel when i started her up. Drove for a while and it was showing 40 miles till empty. then shut her off and back on and then she should 80 miles till empty. It seems that a steep slope can cause gaz to run to one side of the tank and give you a bad reading. Never had this problem on a car but then again cars don't have tanks like i have on my truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ran out of gas with a 1/4 tank on hill