2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 towing (max trailer tow)

Old 04-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 towing (max trailer tow)

The first trip towing my RV has me concerned.
I recently turned in an 08 Scab with a 3.55 axle for a 10 Screw with the max trailer tow package. I tow a 30ft RV with an estimated weight, fully loaded between 8500 - 9000 lbs.
My 08 would pull this RV with no issues. The 2010, right off the bat I noticed transmission shutter in 2nd gear. At highway speeds, speed control at 62 MPH, the transmission would constantly hunt for a gear. The area I was towing (S.E. Mich) is fairly flat and any change in incline would cause the transmission to shift. I am concerned as with the constant shifting, it not only makes for an annoying ride, I feel the transmission is working itself to death!. This truck is rated to pull 11,100 lbs and I am under well under this threshhold.
I will be taking my truck in to have the trans looked at. Has anyone run into a similar issue? I feel my 10 should be able to pull rings around my 08.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:03 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There have been a few reports of the 6-spd hunting while towing, but many good reports as well. The trans may just need more time to re-learn the load. Are you using the Tow/haul mode?

Old 04-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Yes, it was always in the tow/haul mode. I also drove it with both the cruise on and off. At 62 MPH, the RPM's would vary from 1800 (assume 6th gear) to 4200 (assume 3rd gear). Sometimes the kick down would abrupt without much of an incline.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by galaxie7043
Yes, it was always in the tow/haul mode. I also drove it with both the cruise on and off. At 62 MPH, the RPM's would vary from 1800 (assume 6th gear) to 4200 (assume 3rd gear). Sometimes the kick down would abrupt without much of an incline.
The wind load or surface area of your trailer may be an issue. I would spend some time at a local truck scale and get three weights. Truck alone as you tow full of fuel and cargo people etc. Trailer alone, then the rig hooked up. I don't like the 6spd program for towing either. There is no way to lock out 5th or 6th so it ends up lugging and hunting. Either get a custom tune from a vendor and have the tow haul shifts raised 10-15 mph for 5 and 6 or start driving faster, lol. I may get the SCT license for my truck and raise my 5 and 6 shift points in tow/haul. That way tow.haul will stay in 4th unless I go fast enough for 5th or I can release tow/haul for 5th and 6th at lower speeds if needed. I did the same thing in my F250 for heavy loads.

I think a 30ft RV is stretching the intended purpose of an F150. Gross max tow is an advertising ploy that only works under perfect conditions, flat ground, sea level elevation, 140lb driver and no cargo etc... I think 2/3's of max is a more realistic number. By the time I add dogs, family, gear, water etc to my SCREW I have just about maxed out my cargo label before adding trailer tongue weight...

Old 04-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Take it to the Tow/Haul forum, newbie! JUST KIDDING.. Welcome to the site. I guess I am still a newbie too. I have an 09 XLT Screw, 4.63V, 3.73, Trailer Tow package (not max) Book says 9200 towing max. We just bought a Passport 292 Ultra Light. Dry weight 5110, hitch 650. We loaded up and headed to FL. I was probably around 6500 loaded and I experienced some of the same things you did even though I was not nearly as heavy as you. I had the 2nd gear shudder only when I asked the truck to get off the line too fast. I eased off the gas and it went away. I let 3rd gear wind me up to speed, no shudder above 2nd. I also tried to maintain between 60 and 65mph and I had the frequent shifting in to 5th. It did not look for 4th or 3rd unless I wanted to get around someone or when I was bringing it thur WV on another trip. That 60-65 speed range puts it right at the shift point. I would love to be able to lock it into 5th and leave it. It seems like it only wants to stay in 6th going downhill. I keep it in Tow/haul also. I only used cruise on long flat straights or when my foot got tired. When I did set the cruise it almost always went down to 5th. I kept a constant eye on the lame transmission temp guage and the needle never moved after getting up to temp nor did the engine temp. I am confident in this trucks towing capability at the weight I am at. Had I known I was going to buy a trailer this year, I would probably have bought an F250 last year. They are pretty bad as too. So I spent considerable time looking for this ultra light trailer. It is very nice, I'll have to see how it holds up. I fully intend to work this truck while maintaining it according to FOMOCOs recommendations. Hopefully all goes well thru the years to come.

Happy RVing

Old 04-07-2010, 09:08 AM
There are tons of posts on here and it is also written in your owner's manual... The trans has more gears so it is going to shift more. As long as the temp guage is not climbing, you should be fine. Also, how many miles are on your truck? More than 1000 I hope...

Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 AM
You still need to be able to lock out 6th or they need to change the program. In tow haul I am losing 8-10mph from flat to incline and I have to stab off in it to get it to kick down and catch up. There is no way a 300hp engine is going to pull an RV up a hill at 1700rpm. It lugs down and take a lot of pedal to kick down. I have to anticipate the hills and give it a stab of gas to kick down and maintain speed. I am sure I can learn how to work around their program but it is much less natural than any other Ford I have towed with.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:21 AM
L8 Apex,

I can't recall, do you have the 5.4 or 4.6?

Old 04-07-2010, 11:41 AM
I just traded in my f350 for a f150 and will do a test tow this weekend, I hope it pulls the trailer well. I have a passport 290bh, loaded for travel it weighs 6000#s on the axles and about 800# tongue.

As for the tranny temp you can put the truck in Engineering Test Mode and see the actual tranny temp while driving. Just print out a celsius to fahrenheit chart because the mode gives celsius.

Engineering Test Mode:

Ignition in "OFF" position.
Cluster type.
For Base Clusters (without message center cluster): depress the reset stem on the cluster while turning the ignition switch to the "ON" position.
Message Center Clusters: depress the reset button in the vehicle while turning the ignition switch to the "ON" position.
Continue to hold down the reset stem/button for 5 seconds until the cluster message center displays "engineering test mode".
Press/cycle reset stem/button until the message center displays "manufacture" and the date of manufacture (MM-DD-YYYY).

Keep cycling through to get to mpg/KM, coolant temp, etc.

This works with most fords, and you can't screw anything up, it is used by the dealers for troubleshooting.

The 2011 F150's will allow manual shifting on the stearing wheel just like the new superduty's.

Last edited by goingnorth; 04-07-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by goingnorth
I just traded in my f350 for a f150 and will do a test tow this weekend, I hope it pulls the trailer well. I have a passport 290bh, loaded for travel it weighs 6000#s on the axles and about 800# tongue.

As for the tranny temp you can put the truck in Engineering Test Mode and see the actual tranny temp while driving. Just print out a celsius to fahrenheit chart because the mode gives celsius.

Engineering Test Mode:

Cluster type.
For Base Clusters (without message center cluster): depress the reset stem on the cluster while turning the ignition switch to the "ON" position.
Message Center Clusters: depress the reset button in the vehicle while turning the ignition switch to the "ON" position.
Continue to hold down the reset stem/button for 5 seconds until the cluster message center displays "engineering test mode".
Press/cycle reset stem/button until the message center displays "manufacture" and the date of manufacture (MM-DD-YYYY).

This works with most fords, and you can't screw anything up, it is used by the dealers for troubleshooting.

The 2011 F150's will allow manual shifting on the stearing wheel just like the new superduty's.

Awesome info! I just tried it on a platinum pretty damn cool!

Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by racer114
L8 Apex,

I can't recall, do you have the 5.4 or 4.6?
5.4 and 3.73

Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 PM
[QUOTE=goingnorth;4168916]I just traded in my f350 for a f150 and will do a test tow this weekend, I hope it pulls the trailer well. I have a passport 290bh, loaded for travel it weighs 6000#s on the axles and about 800# tongue.

Engineering Test Mode:

Cluster type.

The 2011 F150's will allow manual shifting on the stearing wheel just like the new superduty's.[/QUOTE]

OK, but with which engine???

Last edited by Power Kid; 04-07-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:13 AM
L8,

That is what I thought. That is a littel disappointing to hear your towing experience. I have a 5.4 with 3.55. I'm looking at TTs now. I guess I better stay under 6000.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:20 AM
The truck pulls it, the tranny tune for tow haul just sucks. It can be fixed with a tuner. My advice on a TT is find one of the newer ultra lites with the aerodynamic features. Mine has the spread axles for lighter tongue, rounded over nose, alum framing, lower to the ground and enclosed bottom frame section. It would be the sweetest half ton ever if I could stay in 4th or 5th. 6th should be for open trailers or unloaded commuting only.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:26 PM
manual shift

[QUOTE=Power Kid;4169800]
Originally Posted by goingnorth

Engineering Test Mode:

Cluster type.

The 2011 F150's will allow manual shifting on the stearing wheel just like the new superduty's.[/QUOTE]

OK, but with which engine???

I hope this is true - I'll trade my 09 in when they let me have the 6.2 and manual shifting via button on the steering wheel for pulling!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 towing (max trailer tow)