2009 - 2014 F-150

Auxiliary Power Thoughts?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auxiliary Power Thoughts?

I'm planning on running an auxiliary power cable into the cab as well as to the rear of my 2010 FX4 and I'm looking for some input. Here is what I was planning to do so please let me know if you see any problems with this.

I was planning on just using a "stud" type power connector under the dash as well as one somewhere at the rear of the truck. I thought of using the stud instead of a power distribution box because I could use cables of different gauges depending on the accessory I'm adding and I wouldn't be limited by a certain number of outputs as I would be with a distribution box. I was thinking of running a 4 gauge wire from the battery to underneath the dash to a stud and then another 4 gauge from that stud to the back of the truck to another stud. I would then have a 4 gauge wire run from front to back and would be able to run any accessories I need in the future. I would use an 80A breaker right off the battery and I would obviously fuse any accessories I run off the studs later.

I just thought I'd check and see if any of you can spot any potential problems with this setup. I've been looking at different distribution blocks but thought this would be much simpler and more versatile for various accessories.

Thanks for any input!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Wow what are you planing on running first off? To need so much power and spaces

also best place I found to run power wires in the cab in one the passager side, by drilling a hole right above the main wiring cables into the cab

Old 03-22-2010, 09:09 PM
At this point the only accessories I want to add are a 12v accessory outlet in the rear bumper beside the licence plate, LED lighting in the bed rails, power inverter, rear auxiliary lighting, etc. I know it's not a lot of stuff and for the most part the power requirements are fairly small but I figure if I just run one wire right from the start and if it's of a sufficient size to handle possible larger loads in the future, then it saves me having to run multiple wires off the battery and through the firewall anytime I want to install something new.

I just figured this way I have sufficient power terminals at 3 convenient locations: front (battery), under the dash and at the rear and it only requires running one cable.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Sounds okay. I like using Waytek for fuse blocks and electrical supplies.
http://order.waytekwire.com/CGI-BIN/...905091+M50+ENG
Just use grommets, loom etc.

Last edited by L8 APEX; 03-22-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:50 AM
ford parts from the Raptor. Not sure what the Aux switches are connected to, but pretty sire they are auxiliary components from running offroad lighting

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auxiliary Power Thoughts?