2009 - 2014 F-150

HomeLink Visor in FX4

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pig9r
You can buy the module on ebay for about $20 and add it on. There is a cut-out in the visor already moulded into it. There is enough wire for the vanity lights to run over to the module. You only have to push the wires through the blade connectors on the module to make a connection. When you take the visor off pull the wiring out a bit from the roof and there is a connector in the harness. The visor is two piece (top side and mirror side like a sandwich). It comes apart on the end by prying it at the seam. The fabric is held on by teeth on the inside of the visor where the two pieces meet. I used a stone colored module and it matches my FX4 great. Make sure when you are shopping for a module that you know if you need rolling code or not.

This is the type used in the F150:

This thread may help: http://www.f150forum.com/f38/homelink-48494/

I used this as a guide, it's the same for the F150: http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Here are several for $20 to $30: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=hom....c0.m270.l1313

Also you can remove those airbag stickers on the visor by heating them up and slowly pulling them off.
This is the route that I took - bought the module off of ebay fro $20. It was a little nerve racking to do surgery on my brand new truck, but take your time and it is pretty easy to do.

I have a Ingot Silver FX4 with black interior - the visors are actually "Stone". The Homelink module looks tan (advertised as gray on ebay), but matches pretty well.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Anyone add this to a visor without the lighted mirror? I can feel the cut-out on the visor that seems to be for the link.
At first I thought of tapping into the dome light, but getting the wire across the headliner then to the homelink might be a challenge.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:21 PM
How do I confirm whether my garage opener does or doesn't have the Rolling Code?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Formula jg
How do I confirm whether my garage opener does or doesn't have the Rolling Code?
Get the one that supports rolling codes - it will work for non rolling code openers as well.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Kpendlet,
Simple solution, love it, thank you.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Ideas for XLT visor without the lighted mirror

Originally Posted by svt450
Anyone add this to a visor without the lighted mirror? I can feel the cut-out on the visor that seems to be for the link.
At first I thought of tapping into the dome light, but getting the wire across the headliner then to the homelink might be a challenge.
I just got a 2011 XLT and I have the visor without the lighted mirror. From where could I get power for the HomeLink module?

Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Pig9r
The module I added is powered by the mirror vanity light (not switched). The homelink module must have some sort of security feature that shuts it down after a while because I have to start the truck in order for the module to work if my truck has been sitting outside for any period of time. Unless there is a feature that the truck cuts power to those lights so many minutes after shutting the truck off in case they are left on? Either way it's better than leaving a remote in the truck.
It's my understanding that the F150's have a built in setting that kills the power to accessories (vanity light, electric locks, windows, etc.) after about 5 minutes of the vehicle being turned off, and the doors being locked. I had this on my '03 F150 and it caused problems when installing an aftermarket alarm/remote start. I had to install diodes at each door so that when the power was killed it didn't trigger the alarm. I'm assuming that this is still the case in the newer one's as well. I believe it is a power saving feature to keep accessories from running down the battery. When you hit the "unlock" button on your remote, it "wakes" the system up and everything has power again.

Quick Reply: HomeLink Visor in FX4