Go Back   F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F-150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

2009 - 2014 F-150 SPONSORED BY:
Advertisement

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 02-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor
2010 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2010 Ford F150 FX2
How to install LED underdash lighting.

After getting my new screw with black interior I realized at night it is very dark even with the dome lights on. So I decided to add some extra lighting by way of LED's.

Without lights.

Click the image to open in full size.

First I decided on a location. I choose the bottom lip of both the drivers and pass sides.

After removing the door sill cover I located the dome light wire. Grey with purple stripe. To make sure you have the correct wire, use a circuit test light and you can manually close the door latch with a screwdriver and it will turn off light when closed and on when opened. Remember to have all other doors closed when testing for the correct wire or else the light will always be on.

I then spliced the wire for the positive side of the new lights.

I then removed the left kick panel.
I connected the ground wire using a self tapping screw into the metal panel behind the left kick panel.

I also removed the side panel on the dash. This helped me route the wires.

Also I removed the left and right panels on the floor attached to the console. This also helped me run wires easier.

After wiring and mounting the LED strips I have a whole lot more light now.

Mods
Tinted windows and eyebrow. LED lights under dash, and in console. BakFlip G2
Reverse camera, aux reverse light. Mirror reflector turn signal.
Clear bra on the whole front. Rain guards. New speakers.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2009 Ford F150
Nice. How many led's did you add? How many on each strip?

2009 XLT SuperCrew 5.4 L 6.5 Bed - Dark Blue Pearl
Ford OEM Tow Mirrors
Digital fit floor mats
XM radio in overhead
20" flipdown DVD player
gameport/Power connect pillar
USB glove bx mod
Ford bed liner
Cargo Cage/Bed Extender
Fuel plug
Side kick steps
Fast Tops Shell - PTM Head liner dome light
Black aqua turf carpet in the bed for the 2 Labs
Hobie Pro Angler
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2010 Ford F150
Nice mod...way to go!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 PM
2010 Ford F-150

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydiego View Post
Nice. How many led's did you add? How many on each strip?
I got the strips from Auto Zone. They have 2 12" strips for about $20 each strip has 18 LED's. By the way they have 3M tape on the back of them so no fasteners.
I have a pic of the strip in my other post http://www.f150online.com/forums/200...ge-w-pics.html and also in my photo albums.

Mods

Last edited by tbraquet; 02-12-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2013 Ford F-150
Nice, I did this as well with my '09 Plat...I tapped into the existing dome light wires so the footwell lights I added turn on/off and "delay dim" with the other interior lights...Dramatic improvement at night. I have the dark carpeting and it is much better with the light. I'm also considering tapping into the same circuit to add subtle rear footwell lighting coming off each side of the rear of the console. I just need to find some smaller, round light fixtures and I'll be good to go. I did mine a bit differently as I followed the front dome light wires down the A pillar and tapped into the dome light circut there (both + and - wires) and then ran two wires behind the glove box/center stack and ended them over the driver's side footwell. For my rear footwell lighting I'll tap into these two wires at the center stack and run them down the inside of the console housing to the rear of the console...that is if I'm no too lazy to get around to it Would be a good time to do it though if I'm going the have the console apart anyway to install the console interior lighting....

Last edited by HotLap; 02-12-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:52 PM
2010 Ford F-150

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotLap View Post
Nice, I did this as well with my '09 Plat...I tapped into the existing dome light wires so the footwell lights I added turn on/off and "delay dim" with the other interior lights...Dramatic improvement at night. I have the dark carpeting and it is much better with the light. I'm also considering tapping into the same circuit to add subtle rear footwell lighting coming off each side of the rear of the console. I just need to find some smaller, round light fixtures and I'll be good to go. I did mine a bit differently as I followed the front dome light wires down the A pillar and tapped into the dome light circut there (both + and - wires) and then ran two wires behind the glove box/center stack and ended them over the driver's side footwell. For my rear footwell lighting I'll tap into these two wires at the center stack and run them down the inside of the console housing to the rear of the console...that is if I'm no too lazy to get around to it Would be a good time to do it though if I'm going the have the console apart anyway to install the console interior lighting....
Thanks, check our Superbrightleds.com they have some small round and oval led puck lights. Decent prices also.

Mods

Last edited by tbraquet; 02-12-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:28 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I bought those same LED flex strips and wanted to know if anyone of you could help with a different install set up. I would like to mount them in the same location, but connect to a toggle switch to turn on and off at my control....

Not being electronic savy, what is the best way to get steady power to toggle switch and connect the LED strip properly.

2010 FX4

Thanks in advanced for any help
Old 10-27-2010, 02:33 PM
2010 Ford F-150

Welcome to the forum.

2010 FX4 Boston: you could tie into the wiring on the back of the 12v power outlet either the one next to the front usb or the one on the right of the radio bezel. They are always hot.

Mods
Old 10-27-2010, 04:10 PM
2005 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2005 Blackout FX4
ASGTWithAGun
Send a message via AIM to 05BlackFX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_FX4_Boston View Post
I bought those same LED flex strips and wanted to know if anyone of you could help with a different install set up. I would like to mount them in the same location, but connect to a toggle switch to turn on and off at my control....

Not being electronic savy, what is the best way to get steady power to toggle switch and connect the LED strip properly.

2010 FX4

Thanks in advanced for any help
Just find a constant 12V source such as doing an "add a circuit", tapping the cig lighter as noted or run a dedicated 12V wire to your battery and fuse it. Then run a power wire to a switch and then to all + connections on your lights. Then ground the switch and each individual light and your ready to go.

OP...looks much better and a def improvement.

I have blue under my front footwells and under the backside of the front seats for the rear passengers.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 PM
2007 Ford F-150
My Garage

Vehicle: 1994 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to lakemarykid
This is really slick. I like it a lot and will probably add it to the mine.

-Curtis-
SAS, Cage Radius Arms, 12" Lift, 1.5" .250" DOM Trac bar with 7/8" heims, Tie Rod and Drag Link w/ Chevy 1 ton TREs, 38.5" Boggers, 15x12 Eagle Alloys, 4:88 Yukons, Aussie Locked My SAS Build
07' F-150 Supercrew FX4 Luxury Package - DWV/Gotts Intake, 2.5" HBS, 295/60R20 Nitto Trails, WeatherTech Digital Fits, Gryphon Programmed, Magnaflow Magnapack, 5% tint, Firestone Ride Rites
Old 10-28-2010, 11:38 AM
2010 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2010 Ford F-150
Not sure how I missed the original thread, but this is a cool idea. Nice job.

Quote:
You haven't lived life until you've done 110mph in a Yugo
Old 10-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks guys, I'll give it another shot when I have more time (too bad because its 70 and clear here in Boston today).

If I was to continue with tieing into the parking lights, does anyone know where I can pick up the PARKING LIGHT hot wire. I just light the idea of keyless entry turning them on, opening the door and only on when lights are on. I found a Purple with two white stripes going to the parking lights, is this correct for the 2010 f150 ?
Old 12-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Garage is empty, add now

tbraquet: Cool mod. I want to do it, too, and had some questions:
1. Your 3rd and 4th pic are good. Great detail that shows what color wire you're working with. However, I have an '06. Are the wire colors, gray w/ purple stripe, the same for my truck?
2. Your 5th pic shows the splice you made. How did you splice it? Did you solder or use a Scotchlock? I think you soldered it, but I'm leaning toward the Scotchlock. Any tips/warnings for/against the Scotchlock?
3. It looks like you tapped into the dome light wire (gray w/ purple stripe) with a black and white wire. However, I don't see that black and white wire in your subsequent pictures. Where did you put it?!?
My LED lights should come in next week, so I'm trying to get as much info/planning done before hand as possible.
Thanks!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:39 PM
2010 Ford F-150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipFisher View Post
tbraquet: Cool mod. I want to do it, too, and had some questions:
1. Your 3rd and 4th pic are good. Great detail that shows what color wire you're working with. However, I have an '06. Are the wire colors, gray w/ purple stripe, the same for my truck?
Quote:
I don't know about your year truck. I think if you do a search you might be able to find the color code for your ym.
2. Your 5th pic shows the splice you made. How did you splice it? Did you solder or use a Scotchlock? I think you soldered it, but I'm leaning toward the Scotchlock. Any tips/warnings for/against the Scotchlock?
Quote:
I did solder it and then used heatshrink over it.
3. It looks like you tapped into the dome light wire (gray w/ purple stripe) with a black and white wire. However, I don't see that black and white wire in your subsequent pictures. Where did you put it?!?
Quote:
I used the black and white to add more to the wires that were on the LED strip. They were not long enough. I just ran them up the kick panel then under the dash.
My LED lights should come in next week, so I'm trying to get as much info/planning done before hand as possible.
Thanks!

See my answers in Bold Italic above.

Mods

Last edited by tbraquet; 12-17-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2010 Ford F150
subscribing
Old 05-18-2011, 05:08 PM