2009 - 2014 F-150

2009 Lariat 5.4 Performance Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Lariat 5.4 Performance Question

Let me start off by saying this is the first gasoline pickup I have owned in 10 years. My last 5 have been diesels that have been chipped or tuned. This may be a stupid and unnecessary question, but I am disappointed with the stock performance of my 5.4. I know it's not a supercharged lightning or anything, but I was really thinking it would pull harder and downshift less at cruising speed up minor inclines. Is there any modification that I can do that won't void the factory warranty that makes a considerable difference or should I just shut up and accept it? I know this is kind of a wordy question, but thanks in advance.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Without spending a fortune for a turbo or supercharger, your best best would be a tuner with a custom tune. Check out the Chips, Tuners, and Programmers forum.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...rogramming-34/

Old 12-21-2009, 04:41 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Dude... your question is asked by many, not stupid at all. Programmers are the best bang for the money. Installing mine shortly

Old 12-21-2009, 04:55 PM
I have a similar background. I have owned three Lightnings and two tuned 6 liter F250's. All of them hauled the mail. I drove a new 09 when looking for my next truck. Man was I disappointed it felt like I had the bed full of sand or water. There is nothing you can do that will not affect the warranty, but that is the same with retuning any vehicle. I usually don't tune gassers because it costs so much for so little HP and return IMO. They are a very nice, but heavy truck. Until the 6.2 is available I won't have one. I have driven a few GMC Denali's with the GM 403hp 6.2 and they run like you would expect.
I don't mean to start any wars of HP and pride. We all have our own expectations of power and performance. The 5.4 doesn't meet mine, that is all.

I had to put my hazards on to get on the highway with my empty 24ft trailer. It took about 90 seconds to get up to 65mph. I thought I was going to melt the poor little engine down. With either of my diesels it was effortless to merge onto the interstate.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 AM
That is why I didnt buy an 09, I test drove one and looked at the salesman and said "thats all it has". I have an 08 and its ok, i cant imagine pulling anything more than my 2k bass boat.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:16 AM
I've pulled a 12K front loader with my '97, if you can't pull a >2K bass boat with a '09, you need to get back into a ricer. There really isn't any power difference between the 09/10 and 04- 08's, only the newer transmission which provides better fuel economy.

I think a programmer will do more for the '09s with the 6sp. And there is the tow/haul feature which helps in accelerations when towing - should use it because it works.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Im looking into getting a programer from JDM engineering because there is an option to eliminate stability control. But im not sure about there power grains...

Old 12-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Well, I've been running diesels since about 1999, and many of them I tweaked. Although I know the 5.4L is not the greatest performance motor out there, anything short of a supercharger will not come close to a good tweaked smoker. I've run Hypermax and Innovative in 7.3L's and 6.0L's, and VMP and Troyer's best tunes with intakes, exhaust, etc, and the gassers don't come close for the pittance of cash it takes to make a diesel scream. I am sure someone will disagree, but moving an 8,000+ pound truck with today's tunes is a rush.

So, I'm thinking something is amiss here. My 2010 5.4L Screw F-150 absolutely flies. Maybe I'm not the norm, but even my traction control does not stop this thing from laying rubber. I am more than impressed, but I just dumped a 6.4L Stroke, and in the performance department it sucked. Even my 2008 Screw King Ranch wasn't overly impressive when I Troyer'd it up last year. It was better than stock, but nowhere like this 2010. I attribute alot to the 18's on this one over the 20's on my King, but this six-speed is great. I only put 900 miles on it the week I've had it, but I am more than impressed. I have no concerns about pulling my 5,500# travel trailer this spring. I still want to do the Gryphon, MBRP Cool Duals, and an intake, but the Gryphon looks like it won't be out until I sell this rig. Til then, I am more than happy with the 2010. It blows my 2005, 2007, and 2008 stock Screws away.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by greatplains
Let me start off by saying this is the first gasoline pickup I have owned in 10 years. My last 5 have been diesels that have been chipped or tuned. This may be a stupid and unnecessary question, but I am disappointed with the stock performance of my 5.4. I know it's not a supercharged lightning or anything, but I was really thinking it would pull harder and downshift less at cruising speed up minor inclines. Is there any modification that I can do that won't void the factory warranty that makes a considerable difference or should I just shut up and accept it? I know this is kind of a wordy question, but thanks in advance.
How many miles did it have. Mine felt slow when it had less than 5k miles but now it's flies.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
How many miles did it have. Mine felt slow when it had less than 5k miles but now it's flies.
I noticed much better performance as well after 5K. Anyone else see this trend?

Old 12-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Every new car I've owned is like this. Needs to break in and loosen up. HP an MPG go up with mileage everytime. I usually notice the biggest jump around the 10-12000 mile mark.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:03 AM
wat

Originally Posted by Frdtrtnfx4
i cant imagine pulling anything more than my 2k bass boat.
somethings wrong here

Old 12-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by alex7191
somethings wrong here
lol your right. well i guess i better stop pulling my loaded 7klb trailer around the mountain roads if it cant do it.

My wifes mazda can tow more than 2klbs

Old 12-23-2009, 10:57 AM
I too am a little disappointed in the F150's performance. My lease is coming due on my 2007 Sierra SLT and I am looking at possibly replacing it with a Lariat. I took a test drive earlier this week and instantly feel in love with the comfort of the seats and the interior as a whole.
When I hit the highway and was able to drop the peddle a little I was expecting more. Now I know it's not a sports car and I wouldn't be driving like that most of the time but it made me wonder about towing and other instances like passing where that quick response is needed.
My GM has a lot more snap when you put the hammer down to pass and will easily break the wheels loose from a start.
I was also a little concerned about the 4x4 system. My GM has a locker and auto 4wheel drive and is awesome in the snow. When I tried the Ford out on a snow covered road it did not seem near as stable or able.
Please, I'm not trying to start a pissing match over which is better. I have had good luck with my past 4 GMs but with the gov. bailout and future uncertainty and the fact that I love the look and space in the cab of the Ford (I'm 6'4'') I really want to go that way. I just don't want to regret a 50 K dollar purchase.
I'm looking for honest opinions and experience from Ford owners.
Thanks

Old 12-23-2009, 11:11 AM
what do you expect going from a deisle f250 or other truck to a gas powerd truck , of cource there will be less towing . Thats why people get the f250 for more heavier towing. Try putting a nice cold air intake, will help allot on throttle responce.

Quick Reply: 2009 Lariat 5.4 Performance Question