2009 - 2014 F-150

What are the differences in the raptor and fx4 traction controls??

Old 09-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the differences in the raptor and fx4 traction controls??

I know they have the same motor, but im thinking the raptors have a way to fully turn off the traction control. So im wondering if swapping fuses or sumthing can make the fx4 turn off all traction control even past 35mph...

Old 09-24-2009, 10:55 PM
when does it come on, after 35 mph or before? Im just curious because I have one and wonder if it will impeed off road driveing or winter driving.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same question. On my Platinum, when I offroad, the traction control never completely turns off. It's really annoying. I know that under 35 mph, you hold the traction control button for 5+ seconds, it will flash, and then it is completely off. I've done this on numerous occasions, and every time, I'll be mid-turn and the traction control will randomly turn on, grab traction and point the truck straight instead of continuing with the turn. It's really unnerving, especially since some of these turns are on the edge of the trail or whatever and going straight would result in driving off a cliff.....

If I wasn't half expecting it and able to correct it immediately, it could turn out very badly.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:54 PM
After 35mph it turns stabilty control back on...

Old 09-24-2009, 11:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a stupid, very unsafe feature....If someone took the effort to completely turn off the traction control, they probably did it for a specific reason....

If you figure out the thing about the fuses, can you post it up on the forum?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:02 AM
I also hope theres sumthing to change this, has anybody removed the fuse for it, an if so what has it done...

Old 09-25-2009, 12:08 AM
Pretty sure there isn't just a fuse to pull that disables traction control - its part of the programming in the ECU.

Last edited by statikuz; 09-25-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Well im hoping that maybe theres a way to program or install w e changes on the raptor that turns off all controls no matter what speed...

Old 09-25-2009, 12:23 AM
I'd be willing to bet $100 that if it's not a published option to turn off all traction controls at any speed, that its not possible to hack it.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:59 AM
well one way to diable it would be figure out what sensors it use to control the system at the wheel ...i would be bet it use the abs sensor and just unplug it, which i have no clue if it would work, but if the system doesn't know the wheel is spin it can't cut it back

Old 09-25-2009, 05:17 PM
the reason auto manufactures don't let people turn things off, is because the same person will be the one trying to sue Ford when they crash their car/truck. they would blame Ford forgiving them the option to turn it off and at the same time blame Ford for not allowing them to turn it off, so the air on the side of caution so they won't be sued.

and taking out fuses or unplugging sensors is just stupid, safety systems are there for a reason, and that reason is not so some one can hack it or disable it because they know better.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:23 PM
This was debated over on another forum and figured that it will give you no problem if you are a good driver. If you are driving to the conditions then it will in no way affect you. Mine come on today on a wet steep corner and cut my power. I should have really been going a bit slower but it def saved me from ending up sideways into the kerb.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Deano...What is different in the raptor that you can turn off all traction controls. Could it be simply as swapping a fuse or part?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:35 PM
You can't disable all traction control systems in the Raptor - only use "off-road" mode, as was described in another forum. You're not going to be able to just magically swap some fuse or part and disable a fundamental function of the truck's safety system. Like Deano said, if it were possible, someone would disable it, wreck their truck, and then sue Ford.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by OutlawFord
Deano...What is different in the raptor that you can turn off all traction controls. Could it be simply as swapping a fuse or part?
its all in the software and how the system is program to any number of a million situations,

from my understanding is that you can't full turn off the Raptor TCS/ABS system, when it is put in 4x4 off road mode it changes the how the system behaves, the abs system will allow some wheel lock up when in sand, because building up the sand in front of the wheels when braking actually helps you slow down, i am would guess that TCS system will allow the truck swing and not try to straighten out the truck when you are spinning around corners. and the work shop manual doesn't give any other specifics about the system for the Raptor other then talking about the hill decent system.

From the manual.

Once disabled, the systems will remain in that state until the driver presses the switch again, the ignition is cycled or the vehicle speed reaches or exceeds 56 km/h (35 mph). Once the vehicle speed reaches or exceeds 56 km/h (35 mph), RSC® and ESC will re-activate but traction control will remain deactivated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are the differences in the raptor and fx4 traction controls??